Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Promising pups Jarrad Grant and Liam Jones keen to take Dogs forward

Jon Ralph - Herald Sun - 9 December

WESTERN Bulldogs forwards Jarrad Grant and Liam Jones say they are ready to step up and help fill the crater-sized hole left by retiring star Barry Hall.

The pair will be joined by rookie elevation Matthew Panos as the three-pronged forward line used by coach Brendan McCartney in his debut season.

All three have mixed potential with growing pains in recent years but know their time has come.

Grant was dropped three times by coach Rodney Eade last year but has pace, poise and the X-factor.

Jones wowed supporters with his contested marking power but knows he lacks a tank and must convert those marks into goals.

And Panos had struggled to find the pace of elite football until showcasing his finishing skills and lead-up work late in the VFL season.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Promising pups Jarrad Grant and Liam Jones keen to take Dogs forward

Grant just doesn't look like he will ever put on a lot of weight.

The three certainly have potential, so lets hope we see the best of them in the next few years.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The three provide a nice blend if they can play to the team plan.

We definitely need good years from 3 football smart crumbers Dahlhaus, Cooney and Sherman with Gia/Vez/Dickson providing an alternative route to goal if we are going to kick winning scores.

Hope Bmac can get the best out of Grant, because his best is good enough to make a big impact.
    WesternOval'61

Post Thanks / Like

Grant has put on 3kg already, if he puts on another 3kg that that would make alot of difference compared to last year.. He doesnt need to be massive and as mentioned doesnt look like he can get massive, but he has his pace and if he can be a little bit more solid and stronger he will be very good for us.

Jones pulls contested marks out of nowhere which I lvoe watching hope he can convert a few more of those into goals because I realy like what I see..

Panos I have not seen much of put looks like he is a natural finisher.

Cant wait to see the season starts and how these 3 guys gel!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DragzLS1 View Post
    Grant has put on 3kg already, if he puts on another 3kg that that would make alot of difference compared to last year.. He doesnt need to be massive and as mentioned doesnt look like he can get massive, but he has his pace and if he can be a little bit more solid and stronger he will be very good for us.

Jones pulls contested marks out of nowhere which I lvoe watching hope he can convert a few more of those into goals because I realy like what I see..

Panos I have not seen much of put looks like he is a natural finisher.

Cant wait to see the season starts and how these 3 guys gel!
    There's certainly room for all 3 of the talls in the side.

Panos is more a natural Barry Hall type replacement (ie leading, finishing, footy smarts, reasonable contested mark). Jones is the better contested mark player and can lead up the ground if required to provide a contest. Needs to get much bigger to compete in this role. Grant can be that x factor similar to Murphy played when forward, can play small or tall and is quick and difficult to match up on. As said he needs that wait to give him confidence to mix it with bigger players.

The only issue is see from years past is that Panos and Grant aren't the best defensive players and you can't have liabilities in the side. We saw how much it hurt us at times when Barry was there last year and he couldn't chase. We'll see how they go about the new game plan.

Post Thanks / Like

It'll be great to see how these three play together -- given they WILL be the targets.

I still think Grant can be an A grade player. His kicking has improved dramatically from when he first arrived at the club. He's extremely quick and agile, he's got very good hands and a nice leap. I think (and hope) McCartney is the perfect teacher for him. Seems he can be lazy and drop his head a bit -- if he works hard, I can see Grant being a wonderful player.

Jones as mentioned has developed really well. His tank isn't as bad as the media will tell you. He's definitely a mobile tall, suited to playing the CHF role with long leads.

Panos is the perfect foil for Jones, in that he prefers to play deeper. He's an elite kick for goal and leads well.

I can see these 3 forming a solid partnership, maybe not as soon as 2012, but in the near future.

Post Thanks / Like

You do not have to be built like Jonathon Brown to be strong. Grant will never be physically big in the arms, I just hope he becomes stronger and learns how to use his body better, no better example than Murphy on how to use your body in a marking contest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    You do not have to be built like Jonathon Brown to be strong. Grant will never be physically big in the arms, I just hope he becomes stronger and learns how to use his body better, no better example than Murphy on how to use your body in a marking contest.
    Spot on!

Post Thanks / Like

This.

Its core strength that matters. The guns are more for show.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on where you see Grant playing.
    He will have to have strength if he wishes to be consistant and hold down a KP.
    You must agree ever team would be so much better with a Brown at CHF.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Depends on where you see Grant playing.
    He will have to have strength if he wishes to be consistant and hold down a KP.
    You must agree ever team would be so much better with a Brown at CHF.
    Not chf, I was referring to Browns build not the position he plays. I would like Grant play on a flank with the occasional stint at full forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Not chf, I was referring to Browns build not the position he plays. I would like Grant play on a flank with the occasional stint at full forward.
    Right. Anywhere he can use his pace. Flank would improve his longevity as a player too perhaps.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I like this. It seems like we are going to go with Panos at FF, Jones at CHF and Grant as the 3RD tall.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I like this. It seems like we are going to go with Panos at FF, Jones at CHF and Grant as the 3RD tall.
    That floating tall Hill looked like being for a year.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Grant, 21, said every Bulldogs forward learnt from watching and attempting to emulate Hall in his two years at Whitten Oval.

"I couldn't praise him enough. He was my favourite bloke who has come through the club and he's been a big influence on myself and Jonesy," Grant said.

For the doubters another reason why Bazza was very good for our Club.