Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs draftee Clay Smith handed Callan Ward's number

Glenn McFarlane - Herald Sun - 11 December

THE Western Bulldogs are hoping their first round draft pick, Clay Smith, might prove a long-term replacement for Callan Ward, and they've even given him Ward's number to prove it.

The tough Gippsland Power midfielder, taken with the No.17 pick in last month's national draft, has been awarded Ward's former No.14 jumper.

And new teammate Will Minson has even taken to calling Smith "Cement", Ward's nickname before he took up a big offer to join Greater Western Sydney.

Many other Bulldogs have settled on "Cassius" as Smith's nickname - appropriate given his penchant for hard work and grit.

Smith is not fazed by taking on Ward's old number.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs draftee Clay Smith handed Callan Ward's number

To be honest I'm not too happy with all the Ward references and comparisons. It reminds me of a scorned lover trying to make their ex jealous by flaunting new flame. Clay is not and should not be Ward he is his own man and should be able to forge his own path within our footy club without the added pressure and comparisons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theimmortalmike View Post
    To be honest I'm not too happy with all the Ward references and comparisons. It reminds me of a scorned lover trying to make their ex jealous by flaunting new flame. Clay is not and should not be Ward he is his own man and should be able to forge his own path within our footy club without the added pressure and comparisons.
    Agree. I have forgotten Ward. He did not hang around long enough to achieve anything at the club.
    WesternOval'61

Post Thanks / Like

Mountain out of a molehill MikeHope he does justice to Darcy and Capt Grona's number. The bloke who wore it after Darcy isn't worth the time of Day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the banker View Post
    Agree. I have forgotten Ward. He did not hang around long enough to achieve anything at the club.
    Hope this doesn't upset cement head's Mummy

Post Thanks / Like

When Smith gets his chance on the field and if he does all the right things he'll make the number his own and Ward will be a distant memory.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Mountain out of a molehill MikeHope he does justice to Darcy and Capt Grona's number. The bloke who wore it after Darcy isn't worth the time of Day
    Not forgetting Brownlow Medalist John Schultz.

Post Thanks / Like

Who is this Ward everyone is speaking of?

Post Thanks / Like

This bloke who works for Optus...or is it Aldi? Oh is that a footy T-shirt?

Maybe there is another reason these two moved to Sydney?? ^_^ little bit of privacy next to the pool....

Will GWS have a float in this year's Mardi Gras?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I felt sick reading that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by St 07 View Post
    I felt sick reading that.
    Come on...lighten up will ya. What makes me sick is that sporting fashion disaster. A VCE kid could design a better outfit.

Can't wait for our first game with GWS with Clay Smith toe to toe with..that bloke who left last year...whsshisname? . Battle of the wests!~
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Come on...lighten up will ya. What makes me sick is that sporting fashion disaster. A VCE kid could design a better outfit.

Can't wait for our first game with GWS with Clay Smith toe to toe with..that bloke who left last year...whsshisname? . Battle of the wests!~
    The good colours were taken. (Red, white and blue)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Hey don't get me wrong it's not like I'm threatening a boycot or something stupid like that. It just annoys me that whenever Cassius is mentioned in a news article so is Judas Mcpuffyhair and now we went and specifically gave Clay his old number.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey don't get me wrong it's not like I'm threatening a boycot or something stupid like that. It just annoys me that whenever Cassius is mentioned in a news article so is Judas Mcpuffyhair and now we went and specifically gave Clay his old number.
    Cassius....lol lol lol.
    Love it. Thanks mike.

Post Thanks / Like

Judas Mcpuffyhair
    lol
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff