Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What the Bulldogs say

Jen Witham - Bulldogs Website

In summary
    The Dogs stocked up on a bit of everything in the NAB AFL Draft with a replacement for Callan Ward in Clay Smith, a key back in Michael Talia, a project player that reminded them of Easton Wood in Daniel Pearce and a goal-kicker from the Bendigo Bombers in Tory Dickson. This time, they've picked up a ruckman (Tom Campbell) and a pair of forwards in Fletcher Roberts and Jack Redpath. They also added a couple of midfielders - Lin Jong and Alex Greenwood - thrown in with a former Blue (Mark Austin), who's been in the AFL system since the end of 2006 to sure up their defensive stocks. Again, it's a bit of everything for the Dogs with that all-important "rookie attitude" taking a higher level of importance than any footballing ability.

Article in full...

*Gives a run down by Simon Dalrymple on the PSD & Rookie Draft Selections.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What the Bulldogs say

I am happy with the type of players we have picked, so lets hope they live up to expectations.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Austin's been around a bit hasn't he. 6 years is a while in the system.

http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Mark+Austin

from the sounds of it, had a bit of bad luck. But he has the bloodlines of a champ.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

For a shallow draft I'm pretty happy with what we have picked up.

Post Thanks / Like

There appears a very clear directive from the Coaching team (BMac) : get me strong boys who are hard at it, and of very good character. The team will be built from a set of core values all team orientated.

BMac appears to have an uncompromising attitude to these values. I am excited to see how this translates to the way we play next year.

The fascinating side show is how individuals (e.g. Higgins, Grant, Lake, Sherman) respond to him.
    WesternOval'61

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    For a shallow draft I'm pretty happy with what we have picked up.
    Likewise. A rookie wage is less than $50K from what I'm told, so I'm always happy for the club to take some gambles in the rookie draft. Look at Dahlhaus, Harbrow, Morris, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the banker View Post
    There appears a very clear directive from the Coaching team (BMac) : get me strong boys who are hard at it, and of very good character. The team will be built from a set of core values all team orientated.

BMac appears to have an uncompromising attitude to these values. I am excited to see how this translates to the way we play next year.

The fascinating side show is how individuals (e.g. Higgins, Grant, Lake, Sherman) respond to him.
    I think Higgins and Lake will be fine, Grant and Sherman will struggle. Just my uneducated and uninformed guess.

Post Thanks / Like

I seen glimpses of grant last year (possibly vs Melbourne when we won by 64points) where Grant was actually doing alot of chasing and pressing. This was offcourse after he was dropped for a couple of weeks and was his first game back to prove himself. If he can put that pressure on all games and chase hard like he did then I dont think he will have a problem, ive seen him do the hard work, now just needs to keep it consistant.

I like the way BMAC is going about his business cant wait for the season to start and see all this hard work put into practise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    [thrown in with a former Blue (Mark Austin), who's been in the AFL system since the end of 2006 to sure up their defensive stocks.

Off topic but that's terrible grammar.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Off topic but that's terrible grammar.
    You mean terrible spelling

The grammar's not too bad but it ought to be 'shore up.'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    You mean terrible spelling

The grammar's not too bad but it ought to be 'shore up.'
    You mean the grammar isn't too bad

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a good shot from Twitter of Lin Jong on day one: http://yfrog.com/mmjn6nj

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, he is a good size.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be just fantastic for so many reasons if he made it as an AFL player go the Jong!

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny. I saw a picture of him in the Hun. He looked so skinny around the waist and being of Asian extraction, assumed he would be short ( nobody else in the picture )

Then, next to boyd, you get the picture! Big fella!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus