Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What the Bulldogs say

Long Jong Silver for the elder statesmen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    You mean the grammar isn't too bad
    Touche!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    It's funny. I saw a picture of him in the Hun. He looked so skinny around the waist and being of Asian extraction, assumed he would be short ( nobody else in the picture )
    It's a funny one isn't it -- it's an understandable assumption, then you get Yao Ming, the frickin' tallest player in the NBA, which is like saying the biggest nerd at Google. It's not like the rest of the players in the NBA are short, yet somehow, from China, where people aren't of great height, comes this dude who's taller than every other basketballer in the NBA, a sport played by giants!

Reality has an ironic sense of humour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    It's a funny one isn't it -- it's an understandable assumption, then you get Yao Ming, the frickin' tallest player in the NBA, which is like saying the biggest nerd at Google. It's not like the rest of the players in the NBA are short, yet somehow, from China, where people aren't of great height, comes this dude who's taller than every other basketballer in the NBA, a sport played by giants!

Not exactly ironic.

Yao Ming was a designer baby created to become a dominant athlete. His parents (6.9 & 6.3) were "encouraged" to get married and have a son. Encouragement in China is a pretty different concept to some other countries.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Not exactly ironic.

Yao Ming was a designer baby created to become a dominant athlete. His parents (6.9 & 6.3) were "encouraged" to get married and have a son. Encouragement in China is a pretty different concept to some other countries.
    Poor guy didn't even like basketball. His coach used to come over and get him every morning...
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

With almost 2 billion people it's not so surprising there would be a few exceptions to that rule.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Not exactly ironic.

Yeah GS, I knew this but left it out for a better story haha -- I think his parents were like a basketballer and a volleyball player? Just thought it was still ironic that of all the countries to produce a player bigger than all the giants in the NBA it would be one of the Asian countries.

Actually, I think it's actually MORE ironic (and funny) if you add in the fact that they actually freakin' genetically engineered this dude.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    With almost 2 billion people it's not so surprising there would be a few exceptions to that rule.
    You'd think... but genetics really doesn't work that way (thus why there aren't no black Chinese people, although there are albinos in Africa...). I'm backing off from this train of discussion.. race can be a VERY touchy issue.

My point is (as GS has already mentioned), it wasn't really an 'exception' as such, but actual state-sanctioned arranged marriages between high-performance athletes... although one wonders then why they haven't produced more Yao Mings (actually, they did produce a couple more giants, but they were shit at basketball).

Post Thanks / Like

You'd think... but genetics really doesn't work that way (thus why there aren't no black Chinese people, although there are albinos in Africa...). I'm backing off from this train of discussion.. race can be a VERY touchy issue.

My point is (as GS has already mentioned), it wasn't really an 'exception' as such, but actual state-sanctioned arranged marriages between high-performance athletes... although one wonders then why they haven't produced more Yao Mings (actually, they did produce a couple more giants, but they were shit at basketball).
    Perhaps their third arm got in the way