Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nathan Bock betting investigation

Quote Originally Posted by theimmortalmike View Post
    It was about 50 out on the boundary. Hardly an easy shot...
    The distance must have increased over the years, you will find he was about 35 metres out on an angle, definately not on the boundary.
    Oh well, Blighty was 95 metres out at Princess Park when he roosted home the winning goal, or so the story goes............

Post Thanks / Like

I understand that Bocky (and Maxwell) were bloody stupid in the sense that players had been warned not to share 'sensitive information' that could lead to betting irregularities, and they deserve their fines for being stupid, but...

I don't like how footy being (over)run by the gambling industry means that that the needs of the betting industry dictates to players what they can and cannot say to people. If there was no betting on games, Maxwell and Bock can bloody well tell their wives where they're lining up on the weekend, but because people are allowed to bet on this crap, they can't mention that most innocent of facts? (Shaw's was different because he actually bet himself, so I'm leaving his case out of my point.) I don't bet, but I'm morally indifferent to the average 'who wins, who loses' punt, but exotic bets that are susceptible to insider information should simply be banned, rather than being an imposition on what players (and coaches and medical staff and trainers and runners) can or cannot say to other people.

I'm sick of how footy has become, like everything else, a total slave to where the money comes from, and dirty money in a lot of these cases (in the sense that it's an industry that preys on addicts). The only reason the AFL 'investigates' this as seriously as it does (as compared to salary cap breaches or Scully's dad getting a cushy gig with GWS) is because the betting agencies lose money on this crap so crack the whip. I mean, they pretend it's about 'integrity' or some shit, but we're not that stupid are we.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post

I don't like how footy being (over)run by the gambling industry means that that the needs of the betting industry dictates to players what they can and cannot say to people.
    I couldn't agree more. It is just unreasonable to expect players and employees of the clubs to refrain from discussing any aspect of tactics -- basically, chatting about what they do at work, to their nearest and dearest -- on the off chance that some mug will use that information to lay an exotic bet. The rest of us get to blow off steam and just gossip about our workplaces at home, why deny the poor players that right? It's not healthy and it's not fair.

Post Thanks / Like

Its just stupid! I wonder if I put $100 on bock to kick the first goal randomly and won would they come knocking my door down and taking what would have been $10,100 off me? I would start knocking heads in aswell fcuk that Its soo unfair to players and punters.

A player plays in the back line there whole life and then gets told they are starting the first 5min of a game up forward for what ever reason, im sure they would love to tell there wife, dad ect that they are starting forward and that they might get a chance to kick a goal. I mean isnt the point of the game to kcik a goal? Maybe they should follow every player around with a camera aswell incase something is said and an exotic bet is put on. Fcuk them and there sportsbet adds every 2min.

Sorry had to vent my frustration yuo may continue on.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, understand the all round frustration, but look at what's happened in cricket?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    I don't like how footy being (over)run by the gambling industry means that that the needs of the betting industry dictates to players what they can and cannot say to people. If there was no betting on games, Maxwell and Bock can bloody well tell their wives where they're lining up on the weekend, but because people are allowed to bet on this crap, they can't mention that most innocent of facts? (Shaw's was different because he actually bet himself, so I'm leaving his case out of my point.) I don't bet, but I'm morally indifferent to the average 'who wins, who loses' punt, but exotic bets that are susceptible to insider information should simply be banned, rather than being an imposition on what players (and coaches and medical staff and trainers and runners) can or cannot say to other people.
    In fairness, the AFL don't have control over what people can and can't bet on. The AFL could end every kind of agreement/partnership/call it what you will with bookmakers and it wouldn't make an iota of difference to how much was wagered on football.

With the AFL working with bookmakers then there's at least some accountability over what people do, rather than the free for all would result otherwise. Unless a government were to make that sort of betting illegal the AFL needs to run with an imperfect solution.

The Pakistan spot-fixing scandal is an extreme example, but its what can happen when there's little to no overside.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    In fairness, the AFL don't have control over what people can and can't bet on. The AFL could end every kind of agreement/partnership/call it what you will with bookmakers and it wouldn't make an iota of difference to how much was wagered on football.
    Rugby League got some exotics banned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DragzLS1 View Post
    Its just stupid! I wonder if I put $100 on bock to kick the first goal randomly and won would they come knocking my door down and taking what would have been $10,100 off me? I would start knocking heads in aswell fcuk that Its soo unfair to players and punters.

A player plays in the back line there whole life and then gets told they are starting the first 5min of a game up forward for what ever reason, im sure they would love to tell there wife, dad ect that they are starting forward and that they might get a chance to kick a goal. I mean isnt the point of the game to kcik a goal? Maybe they should follow every player around with a camera aswell incase something is said and an exotic bet is put on. Fcuk them and there sportsbet adds every 2min.

Sorry had to vent my frustration yuo may continue on.
    Here Here. Screw the betting agencies. I think the AFL should just say if it hurts too much stop offering ridiculous exotic bets.