Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome To The Bulldogs - Jack Redpath

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/...t/2391970.aspx

Redpath marks 21st birthday as Bulldogs select him in AFL rookie draft
    TRAVIS KING
    14 Dec, 2011 04:00 AM
    It was a 21st birthday to remember for Jack Redpath yesterday after the Kyneton footballer was selected by the Western Bulldogs in the AFL rookie draft.

Redpath, who has recovered from two left knee reconstructions, was shocked to be taken at number 62 by the Dogs.

“I can’t believe it. I was sitting with my mum and she was crying. It’s a dream come true,” Redpath said.

The power forward celebrated his birthday a few days early with family and friends at the weekend, between training sessions at Whitten Oval on Friday and Monday.

He performed well in training and during interviews, but was unsure whether he would be chosen to be a Bulldogs rookie-listed player.

“I didn’t really know because there’s a lot good players training down there,” Redpath said.

“I thought it was a good opportunity, but nothing would happen, but I trained really well and I started feeling like I am good enough.”

Redpath returned from injury with the Kyneton Tigers in the second half of last season and kicked 29 goals in nine games to lead the club’s goalkicking.

The former Bendigo Bombers player was pleased just to be back on the footy field again and could only dream of playing at the top level.

“I sort of thought I had the talent, but I thought after my second knee that it was just a bonus to be playing,” Redpath said.

Redpath said he “couldn’t be happier” to be picked by the Bulldogs and was looking forward to rejoining training today after being made feel welcome at the club.

Bulldogs recruiting manager Simon Dalrymple said Redpath had impressed at training and in an interview.

“Jack played a little bit at Bendigo (Bombers) in the last year and a half and he came on the scene late on the recommendation of Shannon Grant, who had a bit of involvement with him at Bendigo,” Dalrymple said.

“He’s a really strong individual who is really determined and we felt that at his size, he’s a powerful unit.

“We see him playing as a power forward and he fits that need for us.”

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome To The Bulldog Jack Redpath

I'm pretty sure this is the article that was a full page (back page) spread on him the other day in the Bendigo Addy. There is a ton of expectations on him already around here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is the article that was a full page (back page) spread on him the other day in the Bendigo Addy. There is a ton of expectations on him already around here.
    That's half the problem. He was pick 62 in the rookie draft, we can't expect too much, especially with two knee reco's.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

How many ex or current, Bendigo Bombers players have we picked up? Is this a mistake? Is Shannon Grant's eyes blinkered?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    How many ex or current, Bendigo Bombers players have we picked up? Is this a mistake? Is Shannon Grant's eyes blinkered?
    You have to ask yourself this question because if Esendon don't want them with their set-up, why would we?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    You have to ask yourself this question because if Esendon don't want them with their set-up, why would we?
    They did want Dickson and Campbell.

I do worry that it looks like McCartney pulled rank wrt Smith and McCartney and Grant had a big say in another 3 of our draftees.

Dalrymple only picked 6 of the 10 new guys we picked up.

I would rather see our recruiter pick our draftees than our coaches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    They did want Dickson and Campbell.

I do worry that it looks like McCartney pulled rank wrt Smith and McCartney and Grant had a big say in another 3 of our draftees.

Dalrymple only picked 6 of the 10 new guys we picked up.

I would rather see our recruiter pick our draftees than our coaches.
    Agree with this in theory but ultimately BMac will live and die by the win-loss ratio, so having been appointed to the head coaching position, he should be given the opportunity to cultivate his philosophies, tactics, game style and attitude across the playing group, and to that end if there are players he has been exposed to that fit his particular criteria, give him his head I say.

It's not as though Dalrymple didn't rate Smith, just that on talent alone he (allegedly) rated Crozier slightly higher. But if Smith has the attributes that BMac is looking for in seeing his vision for the team come to life then I'm not uncomfortable with him steering Dalrymple in that direction on a case-by-case basis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Agree with this in theory but ultimately BMac will live and die by the win-loss ratio, so having been appointed to the head coaching position, he should be given the opportunity to cultivate his philosophies, tactics, game style and attitude across the playing group, and to that end if there are players he has been exposed to that fit his particular criteria, give him his head I say.

It's not as though Dalrymple didn't rate Smith, just that on talent alone he (allegedly) rated Crozier slightly higher. But if Smith has the attributes that BMac is looking for in seeing his vision for the team come to life then I'm not uncomfortable with him steering Dalrymple in that direction on a case-by-case basis.
    I also have no issue with the coach influencing recruitment. His role is to say to the Recruitment guys, these are the types we need and if he then fails then it's on him.

Without this veto he has no opportunity to impose his game plan

My concern is that Essendon passed over these blokes when they were under their noses and then we come along with the view they will make it. One of us is wrong and I truly hope it's them because I would love to stick it up those priicks when we uncover a champion that they let slip through their fingers.

Post Thanks / Like

I also have no issue with the coach influencing recruitment. His role is to say to the Recruitment guys, these are the types we need and if he then fails then it's on him.

My concern is that Essendon passed over these blokes when they were under their noses and then we come along with the view they will make it. One of us is wrong and I truly hope it's them because I would love to stick it up those priicks when we uncover a champion that they let slip through their fingers.
    Essendon didnt pass over some of these blokes we got in before them.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Essendon didnt pass over some of these blokes we got in before them.
    There would also be the issue with Redpath and Campbell that Essendon have a surplus of ruck and key position players.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

By this logic we passed over Hudson & J-Pod and Barlow? Who knows?
    I'm paying money, the girl's happy, she's got no money, I got my rocks off, how good is this...

Post Thanks / Like

What do we have to lose?
    It was a shallow draft, so you have to think outside the square.Also other teams and even Geelong have picked up a guy who hasn't player for seven odd years!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just watched the Redpath interview on Bulldog website he is a big boy!
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Agree, good post.

There is evidence that we just beat them to it on at least some of these picks. Besides, McCartney & Grant were the guys that would have advised on the selections at Essendon had they not moved across.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Just watched the Redpath interview on Bulldog website he is a big boy!
    Heard from a friend who has seen him play that he is a good mark and thumping kick too.