Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Latest Fev Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Good to see the club is being sensible in this situation... We'd be derelict in our duty to check out any decent player who might be either up for trade or approaching the end of contract, but I'm glad Eade is from these reports sticking to his guns as to what we will give up.
    By the reports on BF you'd think it was a done deal and hear very little other than bellicose grandstanding.... good to have a plce like this where there is serious discussion.

I posted on that stupid thread a couple of times and then thought "Hang on-what am I doing?"
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I posted on that stupid thread a couple of times and then thought "Hang on-what am I doing?"

Me too.

I feel safe that Eade is not going to mortage the famr for Fev.
    Carlscum fans sure are getting their arrogance back and are almost aghast that as fans we are not supplicating ourselves before them and throwing the sink at them for Pavlova!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think 2 things have made me less happy about chasing Fev:

1. We finished 4th last and have pick 5, had we finished in the bottom half of the 8 or knocking on its door and our pick was say around 10/11 I'd be more inclined, but I think at pick 5 you have the chance of drafting a 200+ game player.

2. Our form towards the end of the season showed that FF was not our only weakness and that we are some way off in a number of areas. A FF is not going to help us get the ball out of the middle etc.

However, I will caveat all of this by saying that if we got Fev for a reasonable player trade I'd do the deal.

Post Thanks / Like

I have mentioned this before on other threads, but a couple of years ago I was on the plane back from Darwin with the Carlton team. I was sitting in the last row next to the galley and Fev stood there with other players, drinking for most of the trip and all I heard all night was Denis this, Denis that, Denis this. He didn't stop talking about the coach and bagging him. I hope he has matured a bit since then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I have mentioned this before on other threads, but a couple of years ago I was on the plane back from Darwin with the Carlton team. I was sitting in the last row next to the galley and Fev stood there with other players, drinking for most of the trip and all I heard all night was Denis this, Denis that, Denis this. He didn't stop talking about the coach and bagging him. I hope he has matured a bit since then.
    Agree and we aren't exactly blessed with an overabundance of blokes that have the strong personality to pull him into line. West, Johnno and Aker stand out.
    Perhaps this is why there was a rumour of West meeting up with Fev? Using our "let's call a spade a shovel guy to get a feel for him perhaps?

However I agree with Fredi Kanoute.. if the deal was not too much to get the trade done (hard to imagine given Carltons arrogance) then it might be worth a punt.
    However for me I'd be much more inclined to use the trade period to secure a ruckman who is ready to contribue in 2008 if it were only to cost us a 2nd rounder plus at most a depth player.
    For mine we need to keep pick 5 unless we are offered something too good to refuse.. and the player is has more years left in him than he has already played.

Post Thanks / Like

Fev is a quality key forward, one of the elites of the competition. Far worse performed KPP's have been traded for not much less than Carlton are expecting for Fev. Hay and Ottens went for 2 first-rounders, Nathan Thompson went for 10 and 26, Tarrant went for 8 and a decent player in a hot draft, even fringe senior players (up to that point in their careers) like Richards and Jolly went for first-rounders. The price Carlton are expecting for Fev is not unreasonable at all based on recent trading history.

Having said all that I don't want us to chase Fev because, even after 9 years in the system, the gap between his best and worst is still vast - he will play his fair share of crap, uncommited, selfish football in the future, interspersed with genius, match-winning performances. Also, he is 27 - we will get 4 years maximum out of him, that's less than 100 games. And his presence will not help our appaling clearance work in the centre and around the ground one iota. Far safer and better long-term option to keep the pick and get some top shelf 18yo talent.

I am not the slightest bit nervous with Eade at the helm during trade week. He has been rock-solid and unwavering during the last 3 trade weeks, helping redress the imbalance of the unmitigated disaster that was 2003 trade week.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the anti-Fev group, but for the sake of discussion, here's my effort at a phantom trade. Mostly it's based on alleged interest by clubs on BF.

Fevola > Dogs
    McMahon > Adelaide
    Giansiracusa > Carlton
    Jericho > Carlton
    Meeson > Dogs
    Pick 10 (Ade) > Carlton
    Pick 22 (Dogs) > Adelaide

We get Fevola and Meeson for McMahon, Giansiracusa and pick 22

Carlton get Giansiracusa, Jericho and pick 10 for Fevola

Adelaide get McMahon and pick 22 for Jericho, Meeson and pick 10

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    However for me I'd be much more inclined to use the trade period to secure a ruckman who is ready to contribue in 2008 if it were only to cost us a 2nd rounder plus at most a depth player.
    For mine we need to keep pick 5 unless we are offered something too good to refuse.. and the player is has more years left in him than he has already played.
    I think we need a good ruckman more than a power forward. Unless the midfielders are being fed the ball so they can pump it into the forward line, the Power forward may end up sitting there waiting for the ball.

On SEN last night, Eade was asked if he would trade pick 5 and he said it would have to be very exceptional circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think we need a good ruckman more than a power forward. Unless the midfielders are being fed the ball so they can pump it into the forward line, the Power forward may end up sitting there waiting for the ball.

On SEN last night, Eade was asked if he would trade pick 5 and he said it would have to be very exceptional circumstances.
    Our rucks are certainly a long way from being a strength and definately need bolstering but are competant enough that we don't (usually) get smashed. I expect more from Minson this year and Skipper may be able to be a backup (Street is a waste of a spot on the list).

We simply don't have any tall forwards - at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Another aside on the Fev arguement.

If we got Fev, what would that mean for Grant?

Chris doesn't have very many suitable matchups any more in the backline, so the only spot I can see him playing next year is FF.

To fit Fev in the salary cap we would probably need to add Johnno to the vets list and retire Chris.

Retire off our most loyal servant to pay a fortune to a total flog? Say no to Fev.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Another aside on the Fev arguement.

If we got Fev, what would that mean for Grant?

Chris doesn't have very many suitable matchups any more in the backline, so the only spot I can see him playing next year is FF.

To fit Fev in the salary cap we would probably need to add Johnno to the vets list and retire Chris.

Retire off our most loyal servant to pay a fortune to a total flog? Say no to Fev.
    Understand your sentiment here, but the following questions need to be asked:

Will next year be Chris Grant's last? Yes

Will we win the flag next year? No

Will next year be Fev's last year? No

Will Fev still be playing in 3 or so years when it is thought we will be a chance for a flag? Yes

I love Grant too and would like him to play on next year, but I'm sure he wouldn't stand in the way of the club trying to do everything in it's power to work towards winning a flag. If Fev is a part of this push then Granty has to stand aside.

I'm not sure on Fev myself at the right price he might be good.

Post Thanks / Like

why is everyone talking about trading gia?? he woud be one of the last players i would trade. Class act!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerry View Post
    why is everyone talking about trading gia?? he woud be one of the last players i would trade. Class act!
    C'mon Jerry, get with the program. Gia was appointed this years scapegoat after the pre-season cup.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerry View Post

I sort of agree, I certainly don't want to trade Gia, I think he's really loyal to the club and loves the place, plus a lot of the players have spoken about how important he is to the side and will be a future captain if he plays his cards right. But I guess there'd be quite a few players higher up on my list of never to be traded players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    C'mon Jerry, get with the program. Gia was appointed this years scapegoat after the pre-season cup.
    Don't forget Jordie - I think he and Gia are sharing it. Wonder who next year's candidate will be?

Scapegoats in recent times....

KMac
    Morgan