Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Week 3, 2007 finals series

Went to the Geel v Collingwood game, what a great game. It was good to go to the footy and be the 'neutral supporter' not following a team but just to watch two teams having a go, it was such a tight, pressure packed game. The crowd was around the 92,000 mark and people everywhere. Glad I went early as I heard that a lot of people were still trying to get in way into the first quarter.

Post Thanks / Like

Credit where credit's due. Collingwood just continue to amaze me. They just never give in & really throw themselves into every contest as tho it really means something.

At the start of the season most pundits had them languishing in the bottom half of the ladder (a bit like North). They just seem to get so much out of their younger kids.

Does anyone know exactly what Brad Scott's role is with the Collingwood youngsters, because from the outside it looks like he's doing a bloody good job, they just step straight in & step up?

Post Thanks / Like

Given the AA selections it was interesting to see the All Star team struggle to put away the nobodies. Why can't we play a similar disciplined brand of football?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of clubs draft the kids and nurse them through. Some throw them straight in the deep end. Those that do that, seem to get more out of the younger guys, much more quickly. It's interesting too, because a lot of the kids who get drafted these days have already spent a few years in the gym and are ready to step up, however they get nursed through and don't have their boundaries pushed like they should.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Credit where credit's due. Collingwood just continue to amaze me. They just never give in & really throw themselves into every contest as tho it really means something.
    I've struggled with this all season.
    I feel about Collingwood the same way that most do. Hate Eddie, supporters shit me etc.
    However I've loved watching them play this year. Apart from the odd game, they've totally got the maximum effort out of themselves. They've got a great mix of real class players and super hard workmanlike types. I think if they can finally get Didak and Davis fit enough to play in the midfield they might be able to cover for the fact that some of their mids are getting older. They've also done a great job of drafting in the last 2 years (making up for some questionable efforts before), and bit the bullet on Tarrant and made it work for them.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Ed Lower was terrific yesterday for the Roos. I really want us to chase Nick. Please, just a little?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm upset.
    Upset the pies didn't lose by 1 point or by a goal after the siren.
    Fair dinkum they might play with all their hearts but they do it knowing they are guaranteeed a great run with the umps.
    The first quarter 50 to O'Bree and the last quarter free to Rocca just 2 examples.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Given the AA selections it was interesting to see the All Star team struggle to put away the nobodies. Why can't we play a similar disciplined brand of football?
    Thats a very poingnant comment and one that really should be echoing over the construction site that is the Whitten Oval

The list of players we have is still talented - but we clearly do not have enough guys prepared to do the team stuff often enough.

Post Thanks / Like

This weekend just confirmed the brilliance of Mark Williams and Mick Malthouse in my mind. Funnily enough I think the greasy conditions in Melbourne on friday night actually hurt the pies which would be against popular opinion. The pies look like they went in with a plan to keep possession and deny the cats the ball for long periods and the rain made that pretty hard. Much the same way as the swans struggle in the wet despite being a very tough side.