Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2012 Ladder Predictor

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    It is hard to maintain form and they approach 2012 with a few potential issues.

What effect will Buckley have?
    Minor - He'll want to put his stamp on it, but there won't be wholesale changes to the way they go about it.
    Will they lose the team effect for personal glory?
    No
    Can Jolly come up and without Leigh Brown, who gave them a point of difference over the last 2 years.
    Fair point, I'll give you that
    Speculation on out of contract players.
    Won't have any impact on a professional outfit like that.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Without going through and requoting, I think it will be fascinating to see how things unfold at Collingwood. If they do lose a few games the relationship between Buckley and the players may be tested. There is not likely to have the aura of "doing it for Mick" that was there in 2011.
    They do have 3 losable games in the first 5 (Hawthorn, Carlton and Essendon on ANZAC day).

I am not saying they will lose all 3 but how would they react if they did?
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Without doing a full ladder, and without any in depth analysis of their list, I don't think the Lions will do as badly as some expect. Their young players are actually quite promising from what I've seen, admittedly with a lot still relying on injuries to players like Brown, Merrett, Black, Rockliff. They've blooded a decent number of good kids in the last year or two, and I think they will start to benefit a bit more this year. Not expecting them to challenge the 8, but I think they'll do better than bottom 4.

The two WA teams will be very interesting to watch. Will Lyon be able to manage the Freo youngsters effectively, and implement a game plan which suits their style? Will WCE be able to build upon their success in 2011, with continued improvement in their 18-24 year olds, or will the oldies fall down with no-one to pick up the pieces?

As for the Dogs, I think we should realistically have a season slightly better than last year. With more games into Jones, Dahlhaus, Wood, Libba, Tutt etc and increased output from Lake and Cooney, we surely can't do worse?

Post Thanks / Like

Had another look at this and went through the fixture as I believe when and where you meet other teams really does impact the results.

Perhaps my optimism for the Dogs shows, but I did try to look at on a week to week and collated the results only after going through the entire fixture.
    Just having a close look at our fixture, and I think we'll end up somewhere between 9-12 wins.

We could easily be 3-7 when we have our bye as we play some tough teams, some teams around our mark at their home ground etc. The only matches I'm confident about are Melbourne, GWS and GC. Crows, Saints and North all potentially winnable, but no certainties.

Having to play Geelong and then Swans in Sydney after going to Darwin is going to be a tough lead up to the bye.

We then get a couple of games we should win against Port and Brisbane, a tough game against Essendon before another very tough 3 weeks including Freo at Perth, followed by Hawthorn and Carlton.

The last 6 rounds should include some games we'll win and maybe we'll be able to finish strongly as players who haven't done full pre-seasons are fully conditioned and back in good form, etc. It could go the other way and get pretty ugly.

Depressing post, I'm sorry, but I think we need to be realistic about our expectations this year. There's definitely a chance we can play finals, but really we should be content to see how the new coach can develop our younger players and our squad to again be contending for grand finals and premierships. If it comes together this year that would be an unbelievable result IMO. (That said - I'm sure once the pre-season games start and we go alright I'll be calling us finals certainties )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Just having a close look at our fixture, and I think we'll end up somewhere between 9-12 wins.

We could easily be 3-7 when we have our bye as we play some tough teams, some teams around our mark at their home ground etc. The only matches I'm confident about are Melbourne, GWS and GC. Crows, Saints and North all potentially winnable, but no certainties.Having to play Geelong and then Swans in Sydney after going to Darwin is going to be a tough lead up to the bye.

We then get a couple of games we should win against Port and Brisbane, a tough game against Essendon before another very tough 3 weeks including Freo at Perth, followed by Hawthorn and Carlton.

The last 6 rounds should include some games we'll win and maybe we'll be able to finish strongly as players who haven't done full pre-seasons are fully conditioned and back in good form, etc. It could go the other way and get pretty ugly.

Depressing post, I'm sorry, but I think we need to be realistic about our expectations this year. There's definitely a chance we can play finals, but really we should be content to see how the new coach can develop our younger players and our squad to again be contending for grand finals and premierships. If it comes together this year that would be an unbelievable result IMO. (That said - I'm sure once the pre-season games start and we go alright I'll be calling us finals certainties )
    The early games are key and we are no chance of figuring if we don't start the season well. While you see only 3 wins in the first 10, I see 6 wins in the first 8 as a real possibility. The first 5 are all winnable.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Without going through and requoting, I think it will be fascinating to see how things unfold at Collingwood. If they do lose a few games the relationship between Buckley and the players may be tested. There is not likely to have the aura of "doing it for Mick" that was there in 2011.
    They do have 3 losable games in the first 5 (Hawthorn, Carlton and Essendon on ANZAC day).

I am not saying they will lose all 3 but how would they react if they did?
    If they drop away early in the season, due to any number of reasons, there's also the pressure of defending their succession plan, which has been constantly critiqued since the minute it left Eddie's mouth. “Why did we get rid of Malthouse?” The wheels could easily fall off. Personally, I don't think they will, but it's more than possible.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Will they lose the team effect for personal glory?
    No
    Good point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post

Good point.
    Haha, I don't like to mince words. Straight to the point, that's me!
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Hawthorn/Collingwood Grand Final with Hawks winning IMO.

1. Hawthorn
    2. Collingwood
    3. Carlton
    4. Geelong
    5. Essendon
    6. West Coast
    7. Adelaide
    8. Richmond
    ---------
    9. Fremantle
    10. St. Kilda
    11. Sydney
    12. North Melbourne
    13. Melbourne
    14. Western Bulldogs (Don't think we'll be anywhere near it this season unfortunately)
    15. Brisbane
    16. Gold Coast
    17. Port Adelaide
    18. West Sydney

Positions 7 - 13 I think you could put anywhere in those positions. Pretty certain on the teams 1 - 6 and 14 - 18 will finish in that range give or take a couple of positions.
    Not sure why there is so much love shown for the Hawks in this thread.

Isn't there rack division pretty ordinary? And aren't they are tall defender short?

Don't get me wrong, they are definitely in the mix and should be at least top 6 but I'm not sure why something they are issuing the grand final.

My best guess is that the top 5 this year will be the same as last year but not necessarily in that order. You would think that West Coast would improve and there are question marks over the ruck division of Geelong, plus their older players are close to the brink.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post

Isn't there rack division pretty ordinary? And aren't they are tall defender short?

Don't get me wrong, they are definitely in the mix and should be at least top 6 but I'm not sure why something they are issuing the grand final.

My best guess is that the top 5 this year will be the same as last year but not necessarily in that order. You would think that West Coast would improve and there are question marks over the ruck division of Geelong, plus their older players are close to the brink.
    Rack division

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post

In all honesty had it not been for so many injuries last season I thought they would have taken it out. If they can stay healthy I can't see many getting close to them apart from Collingwood. Their Ruck division is fine IMO. Hale has made this team very dangerous by pinch hitting ruck duties and going forward. There back half is questionable and no they don't have a real KPD but don't under estimate a good team defence which they certainly have when healthy.

Post Thanks / Like

My ladder prediction

Cwood
    Hawthorn
    Geelong
    Carlton
    West Coast
    Fremantle
    Essendon
    Sydney
    --------------------
    North
    Stkilda
    Richmond
    Melbourne
    West Bulldogs
    Adelaide
    Brisbane
    Port
    Gcoast
    GWS
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cwood
    Carlton
    Geelong top three

Us to be fifth or sixth. I'm actually pretty confident about next season.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

1. Collingwood
    2. Geelong
    3. Hawthorn
    4. Carlton
    5. West Coast
    6. Fremantle
    7. Essendon
    8. Sydney

9. Bulldogs
    10. Norf
    11. St Kilda
    12. Richmond
    13. Melbourne
    14. Brisbane
    15. Adelaide
    16. Gold Coast
    17. Port
    18. GWS

Post Thanks / Like

1. Collingwood
    2. Hawks
    3.Cats
    4. Freo (Will surprise a few this year)
    5. Carlton
    6. WCE
    7. St Kilda
    8. Essendon

9. Sydney
    10.Norf
    11. Dogs
    12. Melbourne
    13. Tigers
    14. Adelaide
    15.Brisbane
    16. Port
    17.Gold coast
    18. GWS
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    1. Collingwood
    2. Geelong
    3. Hawthorn
    4. Carlton
    5. West Coast
    6. Fremantle
    7. Essendon
    8. Sydney

9. Bulldogs
    10. Norf
    11. St Kilda
    12. Richmond
    13. Melbourne
    14. Brisbane
    15. Adelaide
    16. Gold Coast
    17. Port
    18. GWS
    Hopefully I am wrong, but agree Dogs to just miss.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.