Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs back Lake to find best

The Age

HE IS the man the Western Bulldogs are hoping for a major lift from this season. And, so far, Brian Lake is not disappointing.
    Having endured a wretched 2011, Lake has stepped up his training since returning from a Christmas break and has pleased Bulldogs' head of physical performance, Bill Davoren.
    ''Brian is progressing according to the plan that was set for him following the conclusion of 2011,'' Davoren said.

''While he is still in the rehabilitation group, we are very pleased with his progress. He has graduated to a high volume training phase.''
    It's understood Lake, 30 next month, had scans on a calf late last month but the problem was not even severe enough to be graded. It is still too early to say what, if any, part the two-time All-Australian will play in next month's NAB Cup.

''There are still a number of key indicators that need to meet before he rejoins full training,'' Davoren said.
    Lake had post-season knee surgery, ending what was a traumatic year for the full-back.

He managed just five senior matches, hampered by groin, knee and shoulder injuries.
    Lake also became frustrated with the club's medical staff. While he felt it best he rest early in the season because of trouble regaining fitness after summer surgery, the club recommended he keep playing in the VFL. His season ended in July because of a knee injury.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs back Lake to find best

Hope he gets up this year even if its a late start to the year want to see this man show his form again. If he can get up close to his best then bring on 2012! lets show them how this is done

Post Thanks / Like

Brian, fit, clear headed and playing near full potential would be a beautiful thing.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Solution: play him at full-forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    The fact Lake has taken a couple of marks when drifting forward in a cameo role does not indicate he would have success there as a permanent fixture. It is a lot harder to take a mark when you have an opposition player tracking your every move and trying to punch rather than mark themselves. Plus he is an atrocious kick for goal. If McCartney wants to try him as a permanent forward in the NAB cup I have no problem. And if he is a raging success I will be very happy. But I have seen nothing to indicate he is the answer and I would be throwing down the gauntlet to the tall forwards we have been grooming for the last 4 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Will never be a permanent forward.
    McCartney would know the importance of having a strong back six and I cannot see Lake playing anywhere else if he can recapture some form.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Will never be a permanent forward.
    McCartney would know the importance of having a strong back six and I cannot see Lake playing anywhere else if he can recapture some form.
    Agree. Would anyone play Fletcher or Scarlett forward? The structure he gives the back half creates our defending and attacking dynamic. Our season will be radically different to 2011 if Brian came back with AA level form. (wishing and hoping....)
    WesternOval'61

Post Thanks / Like

It's a nice novelty seeing him go forward, throws the opposition off. But agree with what's being said, makes that back 6 look solid.

Post Thanks / Like

Less talk more action from about Brian (from both the club and Brian himself) this year. I'm sick of hearing about when 'Lake is coming back', or how he's going to be 'better than ever'. We've heard it all, just zip it and work hard to get the guy back on the park and performing reasonably.

Any media talk just raises expectations and I think it'll be a miracle if Brian plays at his pre-surgery levels especially after essentially missing an entire year of football. Supporters should be happy if he's just a good solid defender for the next 12 months, but hyping him up will just set him up to fail (in that people will be disappointed and turn on him).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Less talk more action from about Brian (from both the club and Brian himself) this year. I'm sick of hearing about when 'Lake is coming back', or how he's going to be 'better than ever'. We've heard it all, just zip it and work hard to get the guy back on the park and performing reasonably.

Any media talk just raises expectations and I think it'll be a miracle if Brian plays at his pre-surgery levels especially after essentially missing an entire year of football. Supporters should be happy if he's just a good solid defender for the next 12 months, but hyping him up will just set him up to fail (in that people will be disappointed and turn on him).
    Totally agree which is why I mentioned in my post that I hope he can get close to where he was as I do not expect him to get to the same level as previous years. He is important for our structure in the back six and should only make a cameo up forward to give us another target while throwing the opposition off..

I like this point about not talking him up and having high hopes I think alot of supporters are expecting him to come straight back into the competition and dominate the way he used to not realizing it is going to take months for him to get back to where he was. I want him to come in and be solid and see him gain confidence throughout the year. Also want to see Talia get a run beside Lake and maybe learn a few things from him

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post

So if the media ask about Lake the Dogs should say "no comment"?

We need hope for 2012. Hope brings members. So do expectations.

ANN LEE Guest

I saw Brian Lake training on Wednesday. He seemed to be moving very well. I can,t wait to see him back in the team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    So if the media ask about Lake the Dogs should say "no comment"?

We need hope for 2012. Hope brings members. So do expectations.
    Also when expectations are dashed the damage is harder to repair. We've got a massive hill to climb in terms of getting members back on side after a disaster in 2011. The only way of winning them back is getting wins on the board. Everything we read until then is just fluff, well that's the way I take it anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Also when expectations are dashed the damage is harder to repair. We've got a massive hill to climb in terms of getting members back on side after a disaster in 2011. The only way of winning them back is getting wins on the board. Everything we read until then is just fluff, well that's the way I take it anyway.
    It's worse than fluff. It's bullcrap, and fans, especially Footscray fans who've waited for a long time and seen plenty of false dawns, can smell bullcrap at a hundred yards and instead of creating 'hope', all you create are fans/members resenting being taken for mugs.