Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Major game style problem as I see it

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post

Basically I think we slowly shifted towards this game plan that cut out the need for a genuine CHF and now teams have chopped it to pieces a little bit and I think we might need to start using these guys again. I dont think they have lost the ability to do it I think we are trying to play without one. One of the main reasons I think we missed Cross so badly is that when he was up and running he would gut bust across the ground into the space I am talking about and at least provide a link for the runners to feed off.
    If we had a young CHF a couple of years away eg Everitt, Williams or Pick 5 this year, is there an argument to get a stopgap tall to play CHF this year or next, so that we start playing to an appropriate structure and plan?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    If we had a young CHF a couple of years away eg Everitt, Williams or Pick 5 this year, is there an argument to get a stopgap tall to play CHF this year or next, so that we start playing to an appropriate structure and plan?
    Honestly I dont know. Personally I would prefer us to just develop our own and do what we can with the talls we already have combined with guys like Murphy. If we can get a McGregor cheap then thats fine but if your going to do something you might as well do it properly. Regardless of what our personel is like I think we need to start changing it up a little bit because on what I have observed if we stick to our current style no CHF in the league would dominate playing with us.

Post Thanks / Like

In the absence of a real CHF, are you a fan of Murphy playing there?

I'm not overly.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

At this stage height is a secondary concern for me. We definetly need some height but first off we need someone who will present and give us an out. Murphy plays that role as well as anyone when he is up and running. You can have more than one guy doing it anyway. Anything that can get us away from this game where we have to move the ball from the back pocket to CHF without kicking the ball. I think across that half forward area is Murph's best position but he probably needs a big guy their with him long term.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys,

I'll just add this.

This was something I posted on BF about a month ago.

i reckon the issue is that we have been the victim of our own success of playing the flat out running style from the back half. We showed the footy world over seasons 05-06 how running football can be successful.

Teams like Geelong who are physically bigger than us, are now playing the same way and getting results, because they have a good structure & solid bodies. They also have an accountable midfield, and they can sweep the ball from the backline with similar run as we previously had.

With our structure the way it is, we really only have one game plan and as a lot of the other coaches studying up on how to stop us, it has been nullified.

Thats is symptomatic of the issues. We need to free wheel to score, we struggle to take contested marks inside 50, so we need to bring it in quickly, as a result we are unaccountable/out of position if the ball comes back out and the opposition can move it quickly downfield.

I think that to blame certain players is a bit simplistic.

It goes a bit higher than that, and I think we need to get back to basics and go for some young key talls talent in the draft, for the ruck/key forward roles.

I realise we have tried that in the past, but we should cull those talls who arent up to it and start again. The structure is the most important issue we have, not if we should trade certain players, who could be more useful to the team if we get a more traditional structure.

It may take a while, but weve been waiting a hell of a long time, whats a couple more years?