Likes Likes:  35
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Who does your family support and how did you come to support the Bulldogs

Me: Western Bulldogs
    Mum: Melbourne
    Dad: Not interested in footy
    Brother: Collingwood

I started supporting the Bulldogs in 2001. The story goes like this: I went to (I was 12 at the time) a match with my Uncle and Mum from memory who are both Melbourne supporters between Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs at the MCG on a Friday Night. The Bulldogs won that match by 30 points and I remember clapping and cheering when the Dogs were going to win. 11 years on and I'm a very proud supporter of the Western Bulldogs and hopefully in the not to distant future we can win our 2nd premiership.
    Be great to here your stories and who all your family support.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 10-08-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who does your family support and how did you come to support the Bulldogs

I didn't have a choice in the matter. My mum's been taking me to the footy every week since I was born. Both of my sisters as well. Dad supports North Melbourne. So Mum and Dad had a deal, the daughters would support the Dogs and the sons North - mum did a great job of having only daughters! It also helped that Dad worked Saturday's when we were kids so it was always Mum that took as to the footy.

My Mum supports the Dogs because one of her older brothers would beat up his younger siblings if they didn't support them (he had 5 younger ones, pity he didn't convert the 5 older ones!). My Uncle only supported the Dogs because a friend of his at school did. So from one school yard friendship the Dogs got about 25 members! (yup, big extended family...)

Post Thanks / Like

My wife is a Doggie supporter as is both my parents, likewise my grandparents and also my great grandparents who all lived in Yarraville. Only one of my three daughters follows the dogs.

Post Thanks / Like

My Dad provided the Bulldog influence on the family, moving from the country to St Albans and then living in various areas around Footscray. My mum follows the Dogs. Brothers only really followed footy when we were kids, but don't really now. Grandma on Mum's side followed Fitzroy and my late uncle played for South Melbourne (Swans) for 4 years.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

The Old Man's typical Irish Catholic follows Collingwood
    Mum follows the Dogs as all of her side does.
    Dad's family are a mixture of old Fitzroy and The Pies.

Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs all the way. Whole family.

Grandparents moved into the WEstern Suburbs when they came from Croatia. One lives around corner from Western Oval.

(May also have something to do with the dogs colors being the same as the Croatian flag colors)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danstar View Post
    Bulldogs all the way. Whole family.

Grandparents moved into the WEstern Suburbs when they came from Croatia. One lives around corner from Western Oval.

(May also have something to do with the dogs colors being the same as the Croatian flag colors)
    Heard a funny story many years ago when a Croatian family first arrived in Australia , they loved their soccer and would see all these supporters dressed in red white and blue head to the Western Oval as it was then called.

These immigrants thought it surely must be a Croatian soccer team playing so they excitedly went to the game.
    They arrived watching this foreign game called VFL football that they had no idea what it was about, but fell in love with the game instantly.
    Some 40 years on, they apparently still go to the games!

Post Thanks / Like

My family moved here from the UK around 67, I was 7 at the time. We were in the old Altona migrant hostel waiting for other accommodation when we took an interest in AFL, the decision came down to Geelong or Footscray.

I think it was because of the British Bulldog and the flag colours that we chose the Bulldogs and only my sister who was too young at the time went for Collingwood and that was more because she knew I despised them as a team.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fifth-gen Bulldog (my kids round out six generations of red white and blue!) and the only real options I had were Footscray, Essendon or Collingwood. My mum comes from a long line of Footscray, was born in Braybrook, and took me to games from birth and in my early years, despite numerous attempts by my Essendon-fanatic grandmother to convert me, I stuck by the Dogs. My uncle is a Magpie and had a similar crack in 1990 when I was 8, but I was far too gone by then and have never regretted staying with the Dogs.

Welcoming my children into the world, each wrapped in a Bulldogs scarf at birth, is of course the highlight of my life.

UPDATE: Sorry, just HAD to include this one:

My little girl. 10 weeks early. 3 minutes old.
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 06-02-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My father came to Australia in 1950 and eventually moved to West Footscray, just off Geelong rd and went to games with his mates, even though they could barely speak english, they loved the game.

When I was born and old enough I went along as well, I would have been around 3/4 years old.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Father grew up in Yarraville. Got married and moved to Glen Waverley. Mother supported Carlton but dad won battle and my two siblings and I were appointed as Bulldogs supporters.

Mum eventually changed to the Bulldogs during the "Save Footscray" campaign and helped rattle tins. She's now as passionate as anyone in her support of the dogs.

My brother's children are all bulldogs as are mine....and even recruited my wife to the cause. Now one big extended happy family attend bulldogs games each week.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Danstar;255717]Bulldogs all the way. Whole family.

Same here - lived in Barkly St. Dad v. upset if potential in-laws barracked for other teams. Took it personally when my brother married a Collingwood supporter.

Post Thanks / Like

Mum: Carlton
    Reason: Everyone who grew up in Brunswick in the 50's and 60's had to barrack for Carlton

Dad: North
    Reason: Uncle best mates with Schimma, so Dad supported them

Older Brother: Carlton
    Reason: Went along for the ride

Younger Sister: Geelong
    Reason: Gary Ablett Senior

Me: Dogs
    Reason: Kelvin Templeton kicking 15 goals against the Saints in 1978. Not even the dim dark Royce Hart years could sway me to another club.

Post Thanks / Like

Barracked for Cats til age 12(1983) and got sick of them being handbag carrying pretty boys. Decided I would choose a team no one else supported so I wouldn't be accused of jumping on a bandwagon.

Grandpa was a pom and always wore a British bulldog tshirt. End result is I am a mad dogs fan and have converted wife, two kids and a neighbors child alongthe way.

Post Thanks / Like

Have always barracked for the Dogs.
    Both Grandfathers were mad Doggies supporters and members.
    One of my Aunties has made Plays of the Week a couple of times and would be known to many of you.
    Dad was a Dogs follower, but mainly loved Yarraville.
    Mum Doggies but only takes a quick glance at the telly now and then.
    Older brother mentions our Dogs when we are winning and your team when we aren't.
    One sister (Dec) was a Saint, another sister and brother don't care for footy and youngest sister is a bulldogs supporter.
    To many nieces and nephews to mention but I will say I have influenced as many as I could to support the Doggies.
    I should also mention one of my cousins is a mad Doggie supporter and suffers from two brothers who are Pies.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.