Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  35
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who does your family support and how did you come to support the Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I said that to my pup when he was about 5.

A good 40 minutes later he came back and with some hesitation, told me he had decided to stay! I think it must have been a close run thing.

Imagine what you'd have done if he had returned carrying a suitcase.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    I have told my kids (7 and 10) they can change footy teams any time they like.

The only catch is if they do change then they need to find a new place to live.
    Very cruel there Maddog37

Post Thanks / Like

Tough love!

Post Thanks / Like

My Dad was a RABID Doggies supporter, Mum barracked for South Melbourne. Dad used to rave about Jack Collins , ie: "Wonder how many goals Collo will kick today" etc, etc. Mum got sick of hearing about , as she used to say "BLOODY JACK COLLINS" so one day Dad took her to a game and Jack kicked 6 goals and Mum was HOOKED That's how my brother and I became mad Doggies people as well

5. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OLD SCRAGGer View Post
    My Dad was a RABID Doggies supporter, Mum barracked for South Melbourne. Dad used to rave about Jack Collins , ie: "Wonder how many goals Collo will kick today" etc, etc. Mum got sick of hearing about , as she used to say "BLOODY JACK COLLINS" so one day Dad took her to a game and Jack kicked 6 goals and Mum was HOOKED That's how my brother and I became mad Doggies people as well
    Jack Collins must have rivalled Ted Whitten for star quality and hero worship, did he?
    Sorry to hear about your dad's rabies, such is a dog's lot.

Post Thanks / Like

My mum baracked for the dogs, brought up in Braybrook and Williamstown it was just a natural thing that I would follow the dogs. Nearly all my family are dog members, we have 14 permant seats at Etihad.
    All I can say is HOW SWEET it will be when we finally win another flag, all I wish is that it is before I kark it !
    On a side note I do have one neice who has 6 kids, 5 follow "Daddy's Team" for heavens sake Collingwood.
    One follows "Mummy's Team", the mighty bulldogs. A couple of Christmas's ago she openned a present and started crying, it was a black and white dress, nothing to do with Collingwood, she said I don't barrack for THAT team. What a lovely child she is !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OLD SCRAGGer View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    I was born in Droop St Footscray in 1954 to a father who had played with Melbourne reserves, barracked for Melbourne and a mother born in Royal Park who followed Carlton but never played for them. I was my older brother’s (The Banker) birthday present, being born on his second birthday. We barracked for Collingwood until I was four, when I guess he realised we lived in Footscray. We moved from Footscray in 1961, the year we last played in the Grand Final and I can remember all the streamers draping Buckley St and the air of excitement.
    We would kick a footy with Ricky Spargo who lived at the fire brigade in Droop St and whose brother Bob played for the Bulldogs and who also went on to play with the Bulldogs. Family friends were the Spurlings of whom a couple played for the mighty red, white and blue. As little squirts we would walk through the back streets to the Western Oval to see games and to watch training. My hero was Ted Whitten for his manly exploits in the name of our team but also our honest and hard working blond haired ruckman John Shultz.
    Nice story BornInDroopst'54.

10. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnite View Post
    I didn't have a choice in the matter. My mum's been taking me to the footy every week since I was born. Both of my sisters as well. Dad supports North Melbourne. So Mum and Dad had a deal, the daughters would support the Dogs and the sons North - mum did a great job of having only daughters! It also helped that Dad worked Saturday's when we were kids so it was always Mum that took as to the footy.

My Mum supports the Dogs because one of her older brothers would beat up his younger siblings if they didn't support them (he had 5 younger ones, pity he didn't convert the 5 older ones!). My Uncle only supported the Dogs because a friend of his at school did. So from one school yard friendship the Dogs got about 25 members! (yup, big extended family...)
    Great story on ya mum, tell your mum your friends at Woof thinks she is quality!
    Most Mums leave it to Dad so him not being able to take you and Mum does it and Every week that's Gold!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Took me a while to get the nerve to do this but what the heck: I moved to Footscray in 2000 after getting divorced (no kids so no big deal in the end, I suppose). I moved to Footscray because I wanted to find a place in Melbourne where I wouldn't run into my ex, her friends and her family. Didn't know much about the western suburbs, except I went to the Whitten Oval for the away matches. I came from the SE suburbs and barracked for St K - all my family are St K. I moved in a stones throw from the Whitten Oval. I thought "this is crazy, living so close to one of the other AFL clubs bases and not following them." I also had some other reasons to ditch St K including friends who let me down badly. So I thought stuff this I'm going to follow WB from now on. And that's that. I still live in Footscray, got another wife and we are happy and have 3 young children. They are WB supporters, naturally.
    Lol oh wow the Prelims recently must've really hurt in every way possible mate.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm another who never had a choice I was born into the Dogs and I have gladly passed that down to my kids. They struggle sometimes thinking why do we follow the Dogs but they are growing and starting to understand and like me they will pass it on to their own. We must give kids choices in life just not that one.

It builds Loyalty to follow the Dogs, It teaches us to never take anything for granted and to relish and enjoy the good times and more so to push through the bad times.

The first game I remember was the '85' Prelim when I was Six. So ive hardly had to endure what most of us have. I dream of the day the Dogs win the flag I so badly want my Dad to be alive for it (no he is not dying) its just time is getting away from some of us and Jeepers the last couple of years have felt like we are an eternity from it.

But these last few weeks I'm starting to believe again, I'm excited at what we are building and truly believe that this time around we are doing it right for the first time. It feels like no corners are being cut, for the first time we don't have the shadow of folding over us. We have invested in our Footy Dept. and building solidly from the Ground up. I can't wait to get our teeth into this Season and beyond.

I truly believe, We will rise and it will be swift, and we will go deeper than we have in a very long time.

And the Party will be Epic. Go Bulldogs.

Post Thanks / Like

The old man goes for Norf and Mum follows the filth, but my best mate at kinder (and next door neighbour) when I was 4 barracked for the Dogs. Still have no idea how or why as we lived in out in the sticks in central Victoria, but something just clicked. Dad even gave me a North footy signed by '96 premiership side, but I was hooked. Moved closer to the city since then and have been going to every game I can for 4-5 years, and have hooked my 9 year old brother too! Take him every week to watch the Dogs play and he might even be a madder supporter than me. Counting down the sleeps to the NAB cup!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cricho54 View Post
    The old man goes for Norf and Mum follows the filth, but my best mate at kinder (and next door neighbour) when I was 4 barracked for the Dogs. Still have no idea how or why as we lived in out in the sticks in central Victoria, but something just clicked. Dad even gave me a North footy signed by '96 premiership side, but I was hooked. Moved closer to the city since then and have been going to every game I can for 4-5 years, and have hooked my 9 year old brother too! Take him every week to watch the Dogs play and he might even be a madder supporter than me. Counting down the sleeps to the NAB cup!
    I love stories like this when despite all the odds, we end up with two more passionate supporters. I hope you are rewarded in the coming years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cricho54 View Post
    Another fairly similar story to me Cricho54 except that I'm the only supporter in my family.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    I love stories like this when despite all the odds, we end up with two more passionate supporters. I hope you are rewarded in the coming years.
    Me too mate, me too. Having been a rabid supporter for only 15 or so years (a large portion of my life) I would be an absolute blubbering mess if we won the big one. Can't imagine what it must be like for the legends who have been believers for much, much longer than I.