Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: One Sorry Season

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    How hard would it have been for Sherman to wear a KooGa cap instead of a Blades one for the photo? Our chief apparel sponsor would be stoked to see one of their direct competitors get some free exposure
    I take your point but don't many of the players have individual boot sponsorships? Perhaps Sherman is sponsored by Blades and is just doing the right thing by his sponsor?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I take your point but don't many of the players have individual boot sponsorships? Perhaps Sherman is sponsored by Blades and is just doing the right thing by his sponsor?
    Or perhaps he was put on the spot and didn't have the Kooga cap stuffed down his back pocket.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Or perhaps he was put on the spot and didn't have the Kooga cap stuffed down his back pocket.
    I doubt he would have been put on the spot. Emma Quayle would have sought permission from the club before interviewing Justin Sherman.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    This is a possibility, as footy boots are considered tools of trade. But then Sherman would be choosing to support an individual boot sponsor (where he would only be receiving free boots) over a team apparel sponsor for the photo - probably a worse look if it was premeditated than if he was just being absent-minded.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    This is a possibility, as footy boots are considered tools of trade. But then Sherman would be choosing to support an individual boot sponsor (where he would only be receiving free boots) over a team apparel sponsor for the photo - probably a worse look if it was premeditated than if he was just being absent-minded.
    Sounds about par for the course for Sherman if you ask me.

Post Thanks / Like

Geez the knives are out.

Post Thanks / Like

Far out, can we cut the bloke SOME slack?? If Gia, Murph or the like had been the subject, chances are we'd all be going gaga over the article. The timing of the McVeigh article is completely irrelevant, the two articles are totally separate issues.

As for him appearing self-absorbed, I didn't read that in the article one iota. He mentions a number of times how bad he felt, how he'd made the mistake, how he had to now go about things the right way (not direct quotes). Sounded fairly contrite, to me. Can we move on?
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Far out, can we cut the bloke SOME slack?? If Gia, Murph or the like had been the subject, chances are we'd all be going gaga over the article. The timing of the McVeigh article is completely irrelevant, the two articles are totally separate issues.

As for him appearing self-absorbed, I didn't read that in the article one iota. He mentions a number of times how bad he felt, how he'd made the mistake, how he had to now go about things the right way (not direct quotes). Sounded fairly contrite, to me. Can we move on?
    Good call Andrew, he may have a high opinion of himself but he does appear remorseful, in print at least.

Post Thanks / Like

There's really not a lot more he can say, bit like all the other good vibrations coming out from the Club. Of course it all means squat unless it's turned into results on the field.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post

I think it's a result of lingering anger over his actions last year, and whilst that's fair enough to a degree — what he did was pretty bad — at some point we need to forgive and move on.

I agree with AndrewP6 in that I do believe he is remorseful and he has made efforts at redemption.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the contrition seemed sincere and that he learnt a big lesson. I am cutting him slack. Let's hope he grows through the experience and it helps him with his footy.
    WesternOval'61

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    I doubt he would have been put on the spot. Emma Quayle would have sought permission from the club before interviewing Justin Sherman.
    You're right. I didn't really think that one through.

Post Thanks / Like

If he has a separate sponsorship, our major sponsor would be aware and all that would be factored into what they paid for the deal.

At any rate, is this kind of article REALLY what sponsors want to be associated with?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    If he has a separate sponsorship, our major sponsor would be aware and all that would be factored into what they paid for the deal.

At any rate, is this kind of article REALLY what sponsors want to be associated with?
    Fair point. Maybe it was Kooga that put in a request that he wear their competitors strip.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fairly sure he has a deal with Blades. They sent him boots and he tweeted about them. But that is all beside the point. Think it was an interesting article. It had all been forgotten, yet here he is discussing it and dredging it all back up again, he's comfortable admitting he made a mistake and regrets it. Think it says a lot about how much he has grown since the incident.