Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Shaun Higgins says there won't be any more excuses

by: Mark Stevens
    February 10, 2012 12:00AM

EXCLUSIVE: SHAUN Higgins is not shying away from a simple pledge: It is time to deliver.

After seasons of hearing himself dubbed the "next big thing" then being hobbled by injury, the Western Bulldog knows there are no more excuses.

"You get a few injuries, which is out of your control, but there comes a time when you need to deliver and I feel like I'm at that stage now," Higgins said yesterday. "That's why I've done so much work to get my body right - I won't be able to use that as an excuse any more.

"That so-called potential in the future can become reality now, hopefully."

Higgins made his debut in 2006 and has played 87 games, but has never had a clear run at having a breakout year.

The cursed luck started with a dislocated elbow in his first year, followed by a smashed ankle, groin soreness, the illness thyroiditis and then a nagging knee injury last year.

Unsigned beyond this season, Higgins, 23, feels ready to repay the faith. Before Christmas he had surgery to realign his knee cap and trim cartilage.

"We've been saying for a few years that it's part and parcel of football, but it does get frustrating at times when you can't get your body 100 per cent or where you need it to be to play - and that was the case last year," Higgins said.

"But I've done a lot of work ouside the club to get everything right and I'm confident I can have a good year. I couldn't have done any more, so whatever happens from here, happens."

As Higgins struggled with a knee injury last year and the team started to splutter mid-season, former coach Rodney Eade threw him into defence.

It helped the leaky Dogs' defence and allowed Higgins to grow in confidence, but it seems unlikely it will happen again in a hurry.

Under new coach Brendan McCartney, Higgins has been training to play a forward/midfield role.

"It was temporary last year and what the side and myself needed at the time," Higgins said. "I've been spending a lot of time up forward and through the midfield again, which I've loved."

In a perfect world, Higgins would like a 60/40 forward/midfield mix. He will start pushing his case in an intraclub match tomorrow and is on track for Round 1 of the NAB Cup.

Higgins has worked closely with assistants Steven King and Shannon Grant and been part of a new focus on leg strength.

"We've done a lot more leg weights across the whole list," he said.

Dogmatic Guest

Re: Shaun Higgins says there won't be any more excuses

There better not be any more excuses!

Post Thanks / Like

Higgins really hasn't even shown what he's capable of for 1-2 years.

In 2009 he suffered a few injuries -- may have been groin? -- but he had a pretty good year from memory. He influenced a few games, and generally looked a class above when he did play.

Sadly, the last two years that has slowly evaporated. He's often looked slow, has been pushed off the ball and his disposal has dropped away. Also -- another point of interest is that he hasn't been taking those contested marks that he regularly took in his first few seasons.

Hopefully he can deliver.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Higgins really hasn't even shown what he's capable of for 1-2 years.

In 2009 he suffered a few injuries -- may have been groin? -- but he had a pretty good year from memory. He influenced a few games, and generally looked a class above when he did play.

Sadly, the last two years that has slowly evaporated. He's often looked slow, has been pushed off the ball and his disposal has dropped away. Also -- another point of interest is that he hasn't been taking those contested marks that he regularly took in his first few seasons.

Hopefully he can deliver.
    He will, if his body gives him the chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    He will, if his body gives him the chance.
    Wish i had your confidence....Higgins has been a major disappointment for me. I'll be closely watching his defensive efforts in the pre-season to see in Bmac has had an affect.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

He definitely has the ability. We have seen enough in patches to say he can play. He just needs to bring his A game every week. Hopefully his body does stand up.

Post Thanks / Like

Unlike others I still have very high hopes for Shaun and still believe he can become an A-grader

It all comes down to whether he can get his body right

I think he is a player who will benefit from a new coach

Post Thanks / Like

The main thing with Higgins is that he is still only 23. He's not over the hill, by any means.

Hopefully the change in focus during pre-season, with emphasis on leg-weights especially, will help keep him on the park and performing well this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Higgins is probably the most intriguing player on our list to see what effect the new coach can have on his game. Defensively he has been a huge disappointment, which might be attributed to his knee injury last season. But I don't think in 2012 he'll be doing anywhere near as much finger-pointing to his teammates upfield to chase the opposition ball carrier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Higgins is probably the most intriguing player on our list to see what effect the new coach can have on his game. Defensively he has been a huge disappointment, which might be attributed to his knee injury last season. But I don't think in 2012 he'll be doing anywhere near as much finger-pointing to his teammates upfield to chase the opposition ball carrier.
    Spot on Sedat. I think Higgins cops a bigger whack than he deserves but he hasn't been as productive as he should be.
    I think he is due for a big season and if can manage to stay injury free I think he can be a big improver for us. I'd love to know what role the coach sees him filling this year.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I think he is a gun. On song he is top5 at the club. Write off last year. He wasn't fit and at this level playing the positions he plays being 10% behind the opposition means you are out of the game. Will come good in 2012.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I think he is a gun. On song he is top5 at the club. Write off last year. He wasn't fit and at this level playing the positions he plays being 10% behind the opposition means you are out of the game. Will come good in 2012.
    Has he ever been that good?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Has he ever been that good?
    Maybe not top 5. But I wouldn't rule it out.
    Please everyone remember he has had a broken ankle one year. A dislocated elbow another year. =These are two major injuries to get over.
    The talent is definitely there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Maybe not top 5. But I wouldn't rule it out.
    Please everyone remember he has had a broken ankle one year. A dislocated elbow another year. =These are two major injuries to get over.
    The talent is definitely there.
    Didn't he have that injury in his first year?

If he can get himself to a Gia level I would be happy. The talent is there but that only takes you so far.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget the thyroiditis which has also knocked him around. He's had a lot to struggle with the last couple of years.