Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  65
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Jones Boy - I will declare it now - he is going to be a star

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think he playing a different style this year so far.
    He's bumping a lot more, using his size - we haven't seen it anywhere near enough in previous years.
    Seems he's finally discovered that a 100kg+ player can impact a contest without gaining stats.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I think this time is different because he's been good when it mattered. Big contested marks and clutch goals when the game is red hot. He's kicked multiple goals before but I don't think I've seen him contribute this well in pressure situations before.

Post Thanks / Like

I really think you are all under valuing his game against Norf. His work rate was enormous he had nothing left in the last but still chased even though he could lift his legs that's a huge tick for me. Once this guy gets his tank and I think he is getting there he will be the one to leaed from CHF I have no doubt.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't discount Crameri's arrival either.
    No doubt his work rate needed to improve, and some tough early season love from the coach.

Post Thanks / Like

The most pleasing thing the last few weeks has been his repeat efforts. There was a passage of play in the last quarter Saturday when he competed strongly for the ball on the wing, then ran forward before he turned and successfully presented again on the lead. Last year he would have ben stuffed after the initial contest.

I also think he has learned that he doesn't have to jump on opponents' backs every time he wants to mark the ball. The mark he took before slotting his final goal on Saturday was entirely due to smart body positioning and using his full reach. The fact that he is finishing his work suggests he is playing with greater confidence. Encouraging signs.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

He is starting to stay involved more, and getting some easy marks (not just all contested) on the lead - which he was sorely missing previously.

I think he is starting to 'get it'. 50+ games in now - I think his next 50 should be pretty good overall - and it is helping him, that his team are kicking the ball a bit better to him now, than they were at this time last year.

Post Thanks / Like

He's starting to get there playing the hardest role in the ground in what has been a tough year for key forwards. Not willing to say he'll make it yet though, didn't he kick four in consecutive weeks early last year?

Post Thanks / Like

The pleasing thing is he's kicked 7 goals straight - no behinds yet. Kicking definately has improved.

Dare I note he has kicked the same number of goals as Buddy Franklin, from one less game and substantially less coin?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Has Jones finally arrived?
    Another good question, I suspect that it will be a bumpy ride and I'm hoping like hell he is ready to become a consistent footballer.
    If he is prepared to maintain a high work rate his natural talent should help him no end. If he doesn't give close to 100% each week then he will struggle often.

Too early too call though but a good 4 or 5 week patch might have me changing my opinion.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I like the synergy that he and Crameri are building. Jones was very good in 2011 considering his age helped by having Barry aside him obviously. He Struggled in 2012 but improved in 2013 and looks to have improved again. Come on Jonsey!

Post Thanks / Like

I saw him yesterday at the kids day. He simply looks like he has matured. Looks more confident and less fidgety. Looks like he belongs.

Jake Stringer on the other hand looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. Also does a very passable impression of a homeless person.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Jake Stringer on the other hand looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. Also does a very passable impression of a homeless person.
    His 19 years old trying to play key position at AFL level and has a baby on the way....probably feels like he does also.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    His 19 years old trying to play key position at AFL level and has a baby on the way....probably feels like he does also.

Good point. It's not all beer and skittles for these boys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Good point. It's not all beer and skittles for these boys.
    Perhaps producing a child as a teenager who's also trying to find his feet in a new and demanding career wasn't the smartest idea either.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Another good question, I suspect that it will be a bumpy ride and I'm hoping like hell he is ready to become a consistent footballer.
    If he is prepared to maintain a high work rate his natural talent should help him no end. If he doesn't give close to 100% each week then he will struggle often.

Too early too call though but a good 4 or 5 week patch might have me changing my opinion.
    It is fair to say that Jones has been a bit of a whipping boy in the past couple of years and without a lot of support has been the go to man up forward. The recruitment of Crameri and to a lesser extent Stringer, should make it easier for Liam .
    There has been a lot to like with his improved efforts in our past two wins.