Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  65
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Jones Boy - I will declare it now - he is going to be a star

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Perhaps Markovic has dropped off instead?
    I share a similar view, not that he has dropped off though, but he is an honest battler who gets more pats on his back than I personally think he deserves. (Markovic)

That being said Jonesy tore it up today, fantastic!

Big positive was that he looked very assured of himself in front of goal along with his marking of course.
    Last edited by wb_age; 11-02-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wb_age View Post
    I share a similar view, not that he has dropped off though, but he is an honest battler who get more pats on his back than I personally think he deserves.

Definitely agree with the honest battler tag. To beat Markovic you need to be a decent KP forward who has turned up to play. From that point onward, it gets ugly for Markovic but he at least ensures a guy will hurt us just because he is tall.

I think is a decent back up defender. That's a pretty good achievement for someone with his skill set.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wb_age View Post
    I share a similar view, not that he has dropped off though, but he is an honest battler who get more pats on his back than I personally think he deserves.

Agree with you re Markovic. You always know you will get a committed effort from him but whilst he will never be a star I think he looks more comfortable out there and seems to feel like he belongs. He simply needs to back himself a little more in an attacking sense. Thought he was pretty good in the first half but he is always going to struggle against a really good player.....and I guess Jones is taking pretty good steps to becoming one of those.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Add me to the list. All we need now is for him to do the 'easier' things. His ability to take a contested mark is already out and out elite.
    Exactly what I said at the intra-club - my only knock on him is a touch of the "Cam Faulkners" about him - the easy stuff doesn;t come easy, but he nails the tough things.

His defensive efforts for a bigman are supurb.

Re: Markovic - I'm a big fan of his body-positioning, it's fantastic for a big fella but Jones managed to out position him at leats once.
    For all our talk of a sharing, mobile forwardline, Jones demanded the ball more than anyone else out there.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Exactly what I said at the intra-club - my only knock on him is a touch of the "Cam Faulkners" about him - the easy stuff doesn;t come easy, but he nails the tough things.

His defensive efforts for a bigman are supurb.

Re: Markovic - I'm a big fan of his body-positioning, it's fantastic for a big fella but Jones managed to out position him at leats once.
    For all our talk of a sharing, mobile forwardline, Jones demanded the ball more than anyone else out there.
    Dont know about that Gia certainly wanted it.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He reminds me of a young Chris Grant in a lot of ways. Not a great kick from set shots, stronger mark than most credit him for and looks to have the ability to read the game like a more seasoned player. He has a long way to go to be as good as Grant but as you say, he's heading forward.
    I have been excited by all the glowing reports on Jones but would prefer to wait and see before getting too carried away. Beating Markovic in a first up scratch match isn't a true test. Needs to develop more skills other than his marking and is a long way off Chris Grant at the same stage of their careers. As a key forward it is fair to say that Jones appears likely to stand out in our somewhat inadequate attack. Good to know that the promise shown last year by Liam is continuing to bear fruit.

Post Thanks / Like

People are excited because Jones didn't just beat Markovic, he beat Markovic and two to three other opponents every contested grab he took.

He still has a lot of development left, but he's going to be a very good player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He reminds me of a young Chris Grant in a lot of ways. Not a great kick from set shots, stronger mark than most credit him for and looks to have the ability to read the game like a more seasoned player.
    Whilst his set shots were sometimes wonky, Granty was always an elite field kick. I remember a stat from the 97 season that staggered me. Grant had the most effective short kicks in the comp, which was remarkable for a KPF. Jones has a way to go here but has many other wonderful attributes. We've got a serious talent on our hands.

Post Thanks / Like

This coming from the person who demanded he should be dropped for so many weeks last season. I'm surprised.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree Liam has the potential to be a star.
    I just hope we don't get a situation where we get 2 or 3 players dropping back on Liam.
    We need multiple options

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Agree Liam has the potential to be a star.
    I just hope we don't get a situation where we get 2 or 3 players dropping back on Liam.
    We need multiple options
    Agreed. We need one or two more tall viable targets forward.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Jones has better hands than Grant, and of course being 4cm taller dosnt hurt either

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Dont know about that Gia certainly wanted it.
    Gia primarily won the ball through smarts - Jones made the midfield kick it to him.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    This coming from the person who demanded he should be dropped for so many weeks last season. I'm surprised.
    If he plays like he did in those games I mentioned last year, I will be calling for him to be dropped again. Must have our best team in every week if we want to be a top four team.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If he plays like he did in those games I mentioned last year, I will be calling for him to be dropped again. Must have our best team in every week if we want to be a top four team.
    Short term pain, long term gain.