Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  65
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Jones Boy - I will declare it now - he is going to be a star

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    My concern is that I don't think he's a smart footballer; certain instincts don't come naturally to him, such as deft handballs to avoid intercepting hands. Moreover, he hasn't yet improved his ability to read the flight of the ball. He often runs underneath them, and whilst this can be sometimes attributed to ordinary field kicks coming from his team mates, there's no doubt he makes a real meal of some.

Other than that, I'm not worried. He'll be a good player with support & better delivery, but I hope he improves on the above -- especially reading the flight of the ball, since he's such a terrific mark.
    He is a very good contested mark as we all know and I feel if he can improve the other parts of his game (kicking at goal etc) then he will be a good player.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 24-07-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    He won't prosper at our club if things remain the same.
    Agree Chops ... Playing the kids is all well and good, but all we are "teaching" them is how to roll over and lose.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    He is a very good contested mark as we all know and I feel if he can improve the other parts of his game (kicking at goal etc) then he will be a good player.
    Easier said than done. I just dont see enough elite qualities in Jones for him to become even a good player on the forward line. He will never be a star that I'm certain..

Post Thanks / Like

His pack/contested marking is of an elite level. I'd think that would be rarer then someone who is a good kick. I'd play him every match for the rest of this season, and every match next season.

He'll be fine.......

Post Thanks / Like

Like a few others, I'd like to see him spend time at CHB, think it would just help his confidence and further his development, one of his issues seems to continually run underneath the ball and mis judge, release him down back, give him the job of playing on a player, he can read the play quite well, hopefully grow enough confidence by gradually running off his opponents.

The Tom Williams experiment up forward seems to be working thus far, so why not!

Post Thanks / Like

Is it a bit contradictory to say that he is a wonderful contested mark but continually misjudges the ball in flight? By definition you can't be a great overhead mark if you can't read it in the air. I think its just that he's not strong enough to hold his position so is continually pushed under the ball. That's why I'm keen for him to go back because he won't have a stopper on him giving free reign to go at the ball on his terms and also his lack of goal sense is less of an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HKB View Post
    Is it a bit contradictory to say that he is a wonderful contested mark but continually misjudges the ball in flight? By definition you can't be a great overhead mark if you can't read it in the air. I think its just that he's not strong enough to hold his position so is continually pushed under the ball. That's why I'm keen for him to go back because he won't have a stopper on him giving free reign to go at the ball on his terms and also his lack of goal sense is less of an issue.
    At times he is too keen. He really wants to succeed and sometimes attacks the ball when he should put a bit of body on his player or hang back a bit.
    He's yet to learn the 'feint' properly or other steps to throw the defender off balance before he goes for the ball. You need a bit more confidence to do this and years of wrestling with blokes. see Lake or Hall.
    Or Gia. Lead into the corridor then slow right up and take off to the fat side. Or lead, slow up and go right back to the goal square. Reminds me of a school kid in his earnestness to get to the contest but just needs that extra year or two of composure, that extra technique to give him a bit of space, the extra strength to grab the mark.
    He's a winner I reckon and if uninjured, will be every bit as loved as Griff or Coons in years to come, as the thread suggests.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HKB View Post
    I don't remember him misjudging the flight of the ball much last year, I'm not sure what the problem is this year. Perhaps it's a combination of confidence, his body size and getting a better defender that can push him under the ball. I still have confidence he can be a good player, he showed us what he can do last year.

I'd like him to play as the 2nd ruck or at CHB for the rest of the year.
    Last edited by bulldogsman; 26-07-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Liam's biggest flaw is actually his fitness imo.. He starts off reasonable and gets to a few balls and usually kicks his goals in the 1st and 2nd quarters of games.. He needs to get fitter and continue his running to space ect more consistantly (think rewoildt).

Great mark, very shonky kick but needs to get to teh space and time it before anything else can improve

Post Thanks / Like

Big Bump, hopefully 2013 he becomes a regular contributor in the 22.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

His ball drop and kick for goal looks more laid back or is it just me..it just looks a little ironed out from last year and more controlled. We need him to make CHF his position this year.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    His ball drop and kick for goal looks more laid back or is it just me..it just looks a little ironed out from last year and more controlled. We need him to make CHF his position this year.
    It certainly looks better with his arms extended out further, rather than the early hand release and closer to body drop of previous years. Also has a nice follow through with his leg, might give him more penetration.

Some really positive signs including a pack mark. I'm keen to see his improvement friday night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    His first kick for goal was purposeful and had a lot of momentum going through the contact with the ball. Good signs
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    His first kick for goal was purposeful and had a lot of momentum going through the contact with the ball. Good signs
    My thoughts exactly! Looked more relaxed aswell when taking the shot. Once again early goals in the game but heard he dominated pretty much for most of it even though he didn't kick too many. Looks like he is turning out to be that chf we need but will need 1 more season before he lifts to that top level.. Looking good soo far
    [B]I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Impressive, his action looks country miles better than it's ever been. Looks pretty fit too.