Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Will Minson - Its time

This is the year Minson must take some responsibility and start delivering as the number one ruckman for the Dogs. Over the years he has shown us plenty of potential and we have used excuses that he is a big man and needs to mature, Huddo is better than him etc etc. However, in 2012 he is now the senior ruckman and must lead by example and start delivering consistently.

Can he be our number one ruckman going forward?

Has he got the skill to play this role in the modern era - ie not just a tap ruckman.

Do you think he will finally deliver?

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will Minson - Its time

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    This is the year Minson must take some responsibility and start delivering as the number one ruckman for the Dogs. Over the years he has shown us plenty of potential and we have used excuses that he is a big man and needs to mature, Huddo is better than him etc etc. However, in 2012 he is now the senior ruckman and must lead by example and start delivering consistently.

Has he got the skill to play this role in the modern era - ie not just a tap ruckman.

Wilberforce, Roughy, Ayce, Cambell - not a bad collection of young upcoming rucks.

I think he does fine at the actual ruck contests, I want to see him take more marks around the ground. That is his weakness and for a ruck, its a big one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

sorry to take this off topic slightly - but wow the thing that jumps out at me was that he was pick 20 in the 2002 draft.. What a stinker of a draft that was for us and for most clubs I suppose.

In the end he is a top 20 draft pick, 10 years of development already (that is one hell of an investment by the club) we should be looking for dividends now. It is true that ruckmen do take a long time - late twenties are usually when they hit their peak, real make or break year, will really need to dominate centre bounces and around the ground to make up for lack of other strings to his bow (e.g. semi-mobile forward)...

Post Thanks / Like

These were my exact thoughts this time last year but with Hudson still around. Fingers crossed he steps up but I wont be holding my breath.

Post Thanks / Like

I really rate Will. Despite the fact he hasn't been a superstar under Eade I think he has shown some very good signs. Last year in the twos and clearly out of favour he showed some real leadership. Didn't sook, or let his attitude slip. He just worked harder.

When given time and responsibility he has been OK. At times he has been very good. Every now and then he'll put in an absolute shocker. He is no spud though. I think he will be a better performer under the new coach than under a guy who thought it would be clever to call him 'the dumbest smart bloke' going around or whatever it was.

Post Thanks / Like

No excuses for Will Minson now.
    If he doesn't step up now he never will.

Post Thanks / Like

Will has emerged as our most experienced ruckman after surviving narrowly being traded at the end of 2010. BMcC sees him starting as first ruck. I would like to think that new midfield coach Stephen King can work on his rucking technique. Will has a big tank and Leon Cameron for one believes he is better suited with the responsibility of first ruck. This is really his make or break year. You can never doubt his effort and I for one hopes that the new Will Minson will hold down this vital role that will see us getting first use out of the centre and around the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    I think he does fine at the actual ruck contests, I want to see him take more marks around the ground. That is his weakness and for a ruck, its a big one.
    It's probably fair to say finding the footy around the ground wasn't one of Huddo's great strengths. Will plays his best footy in the ruck and I do agree that he really needs to accept that responsibility now and make the position his own. looking forward to the younger developing ruckman keeping Will honest.

Post Thanks / Like

Will's an honest trier, has a good attitude, and now has an opportunity to really make his mark as number one ruckman. My concern with him is he just doesn't seem to be improving, to me he isn't any better now than he was in 2008. If he can step up this year with the added responsibility, great, we really need him to, but if he cant then we have to accept he is what he is and start to look at other options.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with your post BAD - massive year for Will. I'm still fairly hopeful about him becoming a (more) consistent contributor and this year is really his best opportunity to do so. As Greystache mentions, if he can't improve this year he might never quite get there, but he appears to be our best option perhaps even over the next 2 years unless one of our other big guys knocks the door down.

As an aside, there was a very good article in the Advertiser on Saturday (can't seem to find it online) about Will regarding all the work he does for the community and especially with kids both here and overseas.

Post Thanks / Like

New rules might make it harder for Will
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Hope he proves me wrong, but I don't think he has the talent to hold down the number 1 ruck role.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    New rules might make it harder for Will
    What new rules?

Post Thanks / Like

Will has always done pretty well when he has played as the ruckman.
    With Huddo around he was expected to be a forward more and although he gave a contest he was the one sacrificed because Huddo could not provide the same contest as a forward.

While I concede that Hudson was a very good clearance player, Will was/is more likely to give advantage from his ruckwork alone.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

I have a feeling (nothing else to base it on) that he will really take some significant steps forward this season as our first ruck. No Huddo to steal his limelight and it was clear that Will fell out of favour with Rocket last year - i lost count at the number of times that Will was BOG in the VFL!

He is aggressive (sometimes a bit too aggressive), can run and he has the years behind him to hopefully be able to cut it as a first ruck. Yes, i would like to see him take more marks around the ground, but if he just makes a contest and then gets his big frame in the way to open things up for our mids, then i dont think we will mind how many marks he takes.

Agree that his time is now and lets hope that he shows us that the 10 year investment from the club was worth it!

If he does this, then it allows Roughie to be played more as a forward who pinch hits in the ruck, which is how i would prefer things to pan out! We dont want to be relying on Roughie as our first ruck this early on in his career.