Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Big, bad Bazza back

Fantastic to see Barry Hall back at the Dogs...

Big, bad Bazza back
    AFL Website | Ben Collins | Wed 15 Feb, 2012

FORMER Western Bulldogs spearhead Barry Hall has announced he will return to Whitten Oval in an official capacity.

When Hall announced his retirement last season, he shocked some followers by pledging his lifetime allegiance to the Bulldogs rather than the Swans (the club he led to the 2005 premiership).

Hall also started his career at St Kilda before moving to the Swans to become a powerhouse of the competition and a co-captain.

But he has backed up this pledge to the Dogs by accepting a multi-faceted role that will include being the face of BulldogsTV and an ambassador for the club's membership and junior programs.

The Bulldogs will also pay tribute to Hall before their opening round clash with the West Coast Eagles at Etihad Stadium, where the two-season Bulldog will be given a lap of honour.

Hall, who turned 35 last week, will be officially welcomed back to the kennel this afternoon by former teammate Bob Murphy, who will present him with a new club jumper and Western Front membership card.

Link to Article

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Big, bad Bazza back

If only other champions of the club were given roles like this.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

And yet another reason why I love Bazza.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the big fella! Hally has had a massive impact on me in such a short time at the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You would expect that we are offering this kind of role to similarly popular ex-players (eg Johnno).

Good on Baz for coming back to help out...not sure he needs a lap of honour though? I was happy with the send-off we gave him at the end of his last game. this seems a bit much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobdog View Post
    I love the big fella! Hally has had a massive impact on me in such a short time at the club.
    Same here, I was always a fan of his - great news!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Actual long term champions of the club you mean? I like Bazza and was rapt to have him at the club but realistically he was only here as a player for 2 years. Still the club obviously realise what a great marketing tool he is for us.
    I have to say I'm pretty happy with the way the club have brought in Chris Grant on a board level but there is a limit to how many players you can give these sort of roles to.
    Perhaps there's a player with a bit of presentation nous who could do the matchday on ground stuff and replace that James Sherry nonce.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

A lap of honour... Really??

Post Thanks / Like

PR exercise but if it gets the sponsors and clubs name in the paper then mission accomplished.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Actual long term champions of the club you mean? I like Bazza and was rapt to have him at the club but realistically he was only here as a player for 2 years. Still the club obviously realise what a great marketing tool he is for us.
    I have to say I'm pretty happy with the way the club have brought in Chris Grant on a board level but there is a limit to how many players you can give these sort of roles to.
    Perhaps there's a player with a bit of presentation nous who could do the matchday on ground stuff and replace that James Sherry nonce.
    Brad Johnson. Won't happen but would be just awesome…

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    PR exercise but if it gets the sponsors and clubs name in the paper then mission accomplished.
    I like what you did there…

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    A lap of honour... Really??
    I agree, he played for like 2 seasons. Lets not get carried away.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    This. It's a good marketing move, and no one can doubt Bazz was great in bringing attention to the club (and for the most part, positive attention). He was a clear people's favourite, smart move to cash in on that whilst people still have him fresh in their mind.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Great to hear Baz is going to be around. If someone brings positivity to the club, do what you can to keep them on board, IMO. Sure he was only around Whitten Oval for 2 seasons, but he did more in that time than say, oh I don't know, Moneybags Ward did by running for a big pay check.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Aker was a good marketing strategy initially, why don't we honour him as well?
    Bazza was good for us, we did not win the ultimate when he was with us for 2 years. I think it's ridiculous that he is doing a lap of honor.
    What next? Signed copies of the NAB cup grand final win?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Aker was a good marketing strategy initially, why don't we honour him as well?
    Bazza was good for us, we did not win the ultimate when he was with us for 2 years. I think it's ridiculous that he is doing a lap of honor.
    What next? Signed copies of the NAB cup grand final win?
    They already sold T-shirts and posters about that.

And as much of a fan of Aker as I was, I'm prepared to concede his departure was less than positive. The same can't be said of Baz.