Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Big, bad Bazza back

I agree some of this is a bit over the top and as dedicated members it seems a lap too much. But if it can gain a few hundred more members and guide some young minds for the future can it be all that bad.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Aker was a good marketing strategy initially, why don't we honour him as well?
    Bazza was good for us, we did not win the ultimate when he was with us for 2 years. I think it's ridiculous that he is doing a lap of honor.
    What next? Signed copies of the NAB cup grand final win?
    Because Aker went about shitting in his own backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I agree some of this is a bit over the top and as dedicated members it seems a lap too much. But if it can gain a few hundred more members and guide some young minds for the future can it be all that bad.
    exactly.

Post Thanks / Like

Aker was a good marketing strategy initially, why don't we honour him as well?
    Bazza was good for us, we did not win the ultimate when he was with us for 2 years. I think it's ridiculous that he is doing a lap of honor.
    What next? Signed copies of the NAB cup grand final win?
    I hope your tongue's firmly planted in your cheek
    I'd have Aker do a lap around Kabul personally.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I hope your tongue's firmly planted in your cheek
    I'd have Aker do a lap around Kabul personally.
    It was tongue in cheek, my point being when you have had as little success like we have, when tend idolize individuals as we have no reason to idolize the team. This is a little over the top IMHO.
    Quiet frankly, I find it a little embarrassing.

Post Thanks / Like

It was tongue in cheek, my point being when you have had as little success like we have, when tend idolize individuals as we have no reason to idolize the team. This is a little over the top IMHO.
    Desi I can see why you think it is embarrassing but it is a tough gig trying to increase members and improve a financially struggling team. These are the realities of the AFL.

If it was Collingwood doing the same thing with Presti or Krakour I bet they would not be embarresed in any way whatsoever.

Barry is a premiership captain of a team that took 72 years to win a flag so he is perfectly positioned to know what is needed to break the cycle and any help he can give us is worthwhile imho.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope Ed Barlow gets a seat next to Bazza for the lap of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Desi I can see why you think it is embarrassing but it is a tough gig trying to increase members and improve a financially struggling team. These are the realities of the AFL.

If it was Collingwood doing the same thing with Presti or Krakour I bet they would not be embarresed in any way whatsoever.

Barry is a premiership captain of a team that took 72 years to win a flag so he is perfectly positioned to know what is needed to break the cycle and any help he can give us is worthwhile imho.
    I agree. If anything, he should do the lap of honour on June 3 against Sydney, so Swans fans can say goodbye as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I hope Ed Barlow gets a seat next to Bazza for the lap of honour.
    Lets get Steve Tiller back and make it a parade.....

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Desi, Barry had a great farewell game and send off last year. He was carried off to cheering adoring fans. Its not like he just walked off the ground and then retired weeks later to no send off. I can't see the point of this.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    A lap of honour... Really??
    Bit much for 2 years of service if you ask me.

Again we focus too much on honouring champion individuals of the past and present.

I'm not saying it's bad, just i think it's not a mentality that exhibits team success, and we have do it more than any other club (for obvious reasons). Time to change that i think.

Post Thanks / Like

I think our automatic cringing at anything that harkens to our past lack of success is just as embarrassing. It's as simple as this: the club feels the majority of supporters want to see Barry do a lap, so they'll do it. Don't read too much into things. Sure, we'd all prefer it was an unveiling of the premiership flag, but it's not, so just enjoy it for what it is and move on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post

They wouldn't be embarrassed doing it with Presti because he was a 15 year player at the club and played 230+ games for them. He also played in GF's and would have been a Premiership player if not for injury. It would be more than a marketing exercise.

As for the whole premiership captain of a team that broke a hoodoo blah de blah, it didn't change anything while Barry was a player here, I can't see how it's going to help us while he's hosting Bulldogs TV.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

The majority of this thread has been knocking "the lap of honour" Bazza has been given.

Let's concentrate on the positive signs.

But he has backed up this pledge to the Dogs by accepting a multi-faceted role that will include being the face of BulldogsTV and an ambassador for the club's membership and junior programs.

This is great news. Barry barracked for the doggies as a youngster, played for the doggies for 2 years and gave fantastic service and now is going to work for the doggies.

When Barry retired there were those doubters who sniggered when Barry declared himself a bulldog for life. Well now he is backing it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Good post Bulldog4life, I agree

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    The majority of this thread has been knocking "the lap of honour" Bazza has been given.

Let's concentrate on the positive signs.

But he has backed up this pledge to the Dogs by accepting a multi-faceted role that will include being the face of BulldogsTV and an ambassador for the club's membership and junior programs.

This is great news. Barry barracked for the doggies as a youngster, played for the doggies for 2 years and gave fantastic service and now is going to work for the doggies.

When Barry retired there were those doubters who sniggered when Barry declared himself a bulldog for life. Well now he is backing it up.
    Hear bloody hear! Well said B4L!
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]