Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL gay speculation a 'sick fascination': Murphy

Martin Blake - The Age - 15 Feb

Western Bulldog defender Bob Murphy says there is a "sick fascination" with how many AFL players are gay.

In the wake of former Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett's suggestion that players were too scared to come out and admit they were gay, Murphy said he wanted to see a more mature approach.

"There's a bit of a sick fascination — you know, I hear people on the street — about who it is and how many," he said. " I think that's irrelevant. It's about an environment, an accepting of not just people who are gay but people who come from all walks of life and a different outlook on things.
    Advertisement: Story continues below

"Taking that out of it, I think the culture of footy now is very accepting. This club's one with great acceptance. So I think numbers and figures fuels a bit of a sick fascination."

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL gay speculation a 'sick fascination': Murphy

I can't believe they used the word "gayness". I'm no expert, but wouldn't 'homosexuality' be the correct term?
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Well said Murph. If a player wants to come out it should be their choice not that of the media or anyone else. It also shouldn't matter one bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Is Murph on the AFLPA Executive? If not he bloody well should be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Is Murph on the AFLPA Executive? If not he bloody well should be.
    I'm pretty sure he is, from my recollection.

Post Thanks / Like

In the words of the big fella....."who cares?" Neither here nor there for me! Murph's comments about a "sick fascination" is correct, but it's probably indicative of many things in our society at the moment. I'm in no way perfect, but I try not to judge others and treat people the same way I wish to be treated! Live and let live!

Post Thanks / Like

Hear hear. You said it perfectly, Bob.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Griffen View Post
    In the words of the big fella....."who cares?" Neither here nor there for me! Murph's comments about a "sick fascination" is correct, but it's probably indicative of many things in our society at the moment. I'm in no way perfect, but I try not to judge others and treat people the same way I wish to be treated! Live and let live!
    Who cares? The media that's who. They'll beat this drum till the arse falls out. Them and a small narrow minded section of our population who think having a gay player will somehow destroy their team and endlessly torment an opposition player who is brave enough to come out. While I agree that the majority of the footballing world would barely shrug and it's already an undeniable fact that there are gay players already, we need to realise that football doesn't appeal solely to the socially progressive and that a small minority would have the ability to make that player's life very difficult. Just see the shit Nick Riewoldt had to put up with post photo scandal on top of the things I'm sure he already puts up with daily.
    It's a matter of whether the support that player receives in the football community would be enough to deal with the other side of daily reality in the world.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

You certainly couldn't blame any player for not wanting to be the first to come out. He'll cop it from both sides - he'll have to be a spokesman for the same-sex community whether he wants to be or not, and the bigots will have a field day.

Post Thanks / Like

who cares in 2012 and beyond (or ever)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    who cares in 2012 and beyond (or ever)
    Not you or I, but I'm constantly reminded of the amount of *!*!*!*!wits who exist in our community. And it only takes a small percentage of them to make someone regret taking a decision like this.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Not you or I, but I'm constantly reminded of the amount of *!*!*!*!wits who exist in our community. And it only takes a small percentage of them to make someone regret taking a decision like this.
    yes that is true. Sometimes we are shielded from these things. My brother is gay and doesn't care what people say but his partner is very wary of comments etc and keeps it pretty close to his chest.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Post of the year so far.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the US Army got it about right with the "don't ask, don't tell policy".
    Given that we don't expect our AFL footballers to have sex on the field, why should we care whether they are straight or gay or even asexual?
    In my opinion, if a player 'comes out', then they should rightfully expect the broad spectrum of comment that will come their way!... By 'coming out', the player shifts focus away from what they are being paid to do, and that is play football!