Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Buddies? Ward won't count on it

An interesting article, Dempsey, Stoneham and Quinlan recalling their departures from the Bulldogs...

Buddies? Ward won't count on it
    The Age | Peter Hanlon | February 17, 2012

BUMPING into old friends you left behind can be a tricky experience, as Callan Ward will doubtless discover when he lines up for Greater Western Sydney against the Western Bulldogs tomorrow night. At least he's getting the awkward reunion out of the way right from the off.

Gary Dempsey didn't have to wait long to reacquaint himself with his old Dogs teammates either after crossing the Maribyrnong River to join North Melbourne in 1979. Come round two, he was back at Western Oval rucking against the club he had represented for 12 seasons and 209 games.

''Some of the fans were pretty annoyed,'' Dempsey said yesterday, recalling a welcome home gesture of ''a whack behind the head'' from a former teammate.

He fully expected such a reception, and it wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as the confirmation that years of moaning by mates like Len Thompson and Barry Breen that Footscray had the worst away team change rooms in the competition was justified. Toughest of all was reconnecting with the backroom staff who had made his time there special.

Read on - Buddies? Ward won't count on it

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buddies? Ward won't count on it

I know it's just a preseason game, but if we have any pride at all I would love to see Ward taken out early in the second quarter by a legitimate bump or a crunching tackle. A couple of bruised/cracked ribs should do it, something he should be still sore and sorry about a good two weeks later. If anything, being preseason and the result being relatively unimportant means it's the perfect time to put the fear of God into some of our opponents for the season proper.

Post Thanks / Like

SEN interviewed him a couple of days ago after he was appointed co captain. He didn't seem too fussed but thought there would be some comments made to him. Laughed a bit when they suggested Picken might pick him up. He said he was a good mate of Pickens but thought he would definitely receive some comments from him.

He talked well.

In a lot of ways we need him to have a quiet game so I would be sending getting Picken to keep a close check on him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    I know it's just a preseason game, but if we have any pride at all I would love to see Ward taken out early in the second quarter by a legitimate bump or a crunching tackle. A couple of bruised/cracked ribs should do it, something he should be still sore and sorry about a good two weeks later. If anything, being preseason and the result being relatively unimportant means it's the perfect time to put the fear of God into some of our opponents for the season proper.

^^THIS

I hope we give Ward a hard game and keep him quite, but I certainly do not want him to get hurt! I still like him as a player and wish all the best (will hurt me every time I see him play in that orange jumper!) but thats football.

I agree we need to give them a hard time and they need to feel it over the next couple of days butw e need to do the same to the pies lets start acting like bulldogs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DragzLS1 View Post
    I agree we need to give them a hard time and they need to feel it over the next couple of days butw e need to do the same to the pies lets start acting like bulldogs!
    I loved the period in the late 90s when everyone hated us because of the wog squad.
    I want to see some mongrel.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Had a dream last night that I was playing in this game, rotating off the bench with Mitch Hahn and we were taking it in turns to be in at centre bounces and whenever Ward or one of their kids won the ball, we'd drive them into the ground popping their shoulders.

I know it's not nice but seems to be what I subconsciously want to happen

Post Thanks / Like

Best thing is if Clay Smith shines in this game along with Talia and Dickson. That is a good answer to the Ward defection.
    WesternOval'61

Post Thanks / Like

I know its wrong but gee I hope big Will cleans him up!!!!
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    I know its wrong but gee I hope big Will cleans him up!!!!
    I know it's wrong, but hell, I'm secretly hoping for the same thing! Take no prisoners!

Post Thanks / Like

I just hope our priority pick ( we got ripped off, considering this guy is capt!) is a gun .
    We can all still talk about the McMahon gift we got.

Post Thanks / Like

I am just getting an image of Big Wil when he caught Thomas dead from behind and cleaned him up, big hit! That would be the ultimate to happen against GWS but I still wouldnt want him to get injured.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DragzLS1 View Post
    ^^THIS

I hope we give Ward a hard game and keep him quite, but I certainly do not want him to get hurt!!
    I don't want him to get hurt either.

I want him to be fully fit and playing every game for GWS and having him enjoy every 100 point plus thrashing they get.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to see us break a few bodies and flex our muscle.

Screw being the nice guy.