Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dogs' big bite

Post Thanks / Like

Dogs' big bite

Ben Collins

THE WESTERN Bulldogs' potentially fragile ruck department could actually develop into one of the best big-man combinations in the AFL, says former Dogs ruckman Luke Darcy.

Darcy also believes the Bulldogs could one day have the luxury of playing their three big men - Will Minson, Jordan Roughead and Ayce Cordy - in the same side.

It's a big call. With high rotations and the demand for running power and versatility in the modern game, selecting two ruckman - let alone three - is often considered too risky.

Essendon last year experimented with its own ruck trio - Tom Bellchambers, Patrick Ryder and David Hille - in nine games. Although the move brought moments of exhilaration, it was generally regarded as unsuccessful.

But Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney hasn't discounted the idea of playing his three ruckmen together in the premiership season.

When asked about this prospect at a press conference on Friday - the day before his side's NAB Cup opener at Blacktown - McCartney responded: "I don't know - we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. If it's needed we will; if it's not, we won't. They're playing tomorrow night so we're going to have a look at them."

The coach would have liked what he saw from his big men on Saturday night. Minson was partnered by Cordy in the first game against GWS, and Cordy was replaced by Roughead for the Collingwood clash. Minson thrived on the added responsibility, while both youngsters proved handy reinforcements.

Roughead placed two consecutive taps down the throat of his midfielders, the first sparking a crucial goal and the play of the night for the Dogs.

Darcy's optimism about the Bulldogs ruck stocks will also hearten the club's fans. Aside from the health of stars like Adam Cooney, Brian Lake and Dale Morris, and the club's yet-to-be-formulated forward line, the ruck appears the Dogs' next greatest worry following the departure of veteran Ben Hudson.

"I always thought they were in pretty good shape with the ruck talent they had coming through, and on paper it's got the potential to be the perfect balance," Darcy told AFL.com.au.

"If Will does that grunt work, the smashing in body-on-body, gives the consistent contest you need, and he's supported by whoever develops the fastest out of Roughead and Cordy, it's a good combination.

"And potentially all three could play in the same side and complement each other, taking a turn in the ruck and forward, as they are all capable of.

"If that came off, it really would be something.

"If they all shot the lights out and performed the way I think they can, it has the potential to be a great combination."

Man-mountain Minson, 26, will assume the No. 1 ruck mantle after 115 games and nine seasons. Roughead, 21, has played 17 games in three seasons, while Cordy, also 21, has just two games to his name after battling serious shoulder problems.

Darcy was a senior ruck partner of Minson's for five seasons.

"I've always had a great respect for Will," he said. "He's got some limitations that he knows really well - he's not going to turn a game on its ear by taking eight pack marks and get three Brownlow votes."

Darcy suggested Minson should model his game on Collingwood ruckman Darren Jolly.

"Jolly became an elite ruckman just through his sheer competitiveness and a really strong physical presence, and when Will plays well he plays with great physicality," he said.

"Sometimes with a new coach you get a chance to start afresh and I think Will would be really excited about it.

"If I was him I'd be focusing on exactly what the new coach wants from him and keeping it pretty simple. And if he does, he's got a golden opportunity to have a great second half of his career."

Darcy came into close contact with Cordy several years ago when he was coaching at the AIS/AFL Academy.

"I had an enormous amount of time for Ayce," Darcy said.

"He's obviously been hampered by a couple of shoulder reconstructions, but you also have to understand and empathise with what it's like being that height, that size, and putting on 12-15 kilos. It's not an easy path for a young bloke in his first couple of years at an AFL club.

"But if he gets a free run at it, he's got the ability to be a decade-long ruckman/forward of high quality."

Darcy was also impressed with Roughead.

"Like Ayce, he's had some injuries and inconsistency, which you expect from a young ruckman, but he has shown glimpses of being outstanding," he said.

"If those two young blokes develop quickly, they'll make a huge difference to the Bulldogs this year and beyond.

"You need to get games into them. You want them to earn their stripes but the sooner they establish themselves the better because they could become key components of the side."

The concern, however, is if one or two of this trio gets injured or struggles to play at the required standard.

"If that happens, they might have to start plugging gaps with an undersized ruckman like Liam Jones, which isn't ideal," Darcy said.

"But overall I see it as an exciting time for the Dogs ruckmen rather than being a problem."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs' big bite

The worst thing about that article is Darce's misplaced use of the phrase 'shot the lights out'.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I hate it when Luke Darcy comes out and gives us big wraps. We always seem to go in the opposite direction. Hope I'm wrong!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I hate it when Luke Darcy comes out and gives us big wraps. We always seem to go in the opposite direction. Hope I'm wrong!
    I'd rather that than some of the crap he dishes out when he commentates our games.

Anybody else remember his descriptions of Campbell Brown as a "fierce competitor" whos toughness sometimes got in the way and meant he occassionally made mistakes that got him suspended. You know, like when he innocently threw his elbow back and collected Callan Ward in the face. Darcy pretty much spent the rest of the match defending Brown and discussing how he was such a top bloke and a "character" instead of calling him out as the dirty, faux hardman Campbell Brown is.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    The worst thing about that article is Darce's misplaced use of the phrase 'shot the lights out'.
    What does it mean?

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with a little positivity about our prospects.
    Some on here are carrying on like we lost a "REAL" game by 10 goals.
    One thing noticeable is that Cordy is looking like he's now got an AFL body!
    The guy hasn't had a run at it yet and deserves a chance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Nothing wrong with a little positivity about our prospects.
    Some on here are carrying on like we lost a "REAL" game by 10 goals.
    One thing noticeable is that Cordy is looking like he's now got an AFL body!
    The guy hasn't had a run at it yet and deserves a chance
    Agree, both in the intra club match and on the weekend, Cordy is now starting to show that he will be comfortable playing AFL.

When we picked him as a Father/son he was touted as the number won draftee in the AFL if he hadn't of been picked by us. Hopefully he will live up to his potential.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Im Not Bitter View Post
    What does it mean?
    It's a basketball term, used to describe someone who makes a lot of baskets in a game ("shooting the lights out")...
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I loved the phrase. Here is it in all it's glory, with a couple of bits highlighted just for fun:

"If they all shot the lights out and performed the way I think they can, it has the potential to be a great combination."

Ah, isn't the preseason wonderful. If all our players have their best season to date we've got the potential to really give the flag a good shake this year!

Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I'd rather that than some of the crap he dishes out when he commentates our games.

Anybody else remember his descriptions of Campbell Brown as a "fierce competitor" whos toughness sometimes got in the way and meant he occassionally made mistakes that got him suspended. You know, like when he innocently threw his elbow back and collected Callan Ward in the face. Darcy pretty much spent the rest of the match defending Brown and discussing how he was such a top bloke and a "character" instead of calling him out as the dirty, faux hardman Campbell Brown is.
    On second inspection of that incident and given the events of late last year I'm of the opinion that Brown might not be such a bad guy after all.
    Last edited by immortalmike; 21-02-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theimmortalmike View Post
    On second inspection of that incident and given the events of late last year I of the opinion that Brown might not be such a bad guy after all.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theimmortalmike View Post
    On second inspection of that incident and given the events of late last year I'm of the opinion that Brown might not be such a bad guy after all.
    Pretty hard to take someone who has a noggin like cement.