Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Taken For Granted

WESTERN Bulldogs forward Jarrad Grant has revealed the mental anguish that tormented him last season.

In a brutally honest self-assessment, Grant has told AFL.com.au an increasingly negative mindset and his lack of a worthwhile pursuit outside the game - which had led to an unhealthy focus on football - had contributed to his sub-standard season.

The 22-year-old is hoping a positive outlook and a more balanced lifestyle will help him purge the memory of 2011 and recapture the form that made him one of the AFL's most promising forwards.

It was an unexpected fall from grace for Grant following a breakthrough 2010 season in which he kicked 29 goals in 20 matches.

The lightly-built forward started 2011 in reasonable touch, kicking four goals in the opening NAB Cup triple-header against the Cats and North Melbourne at Geelong. He then tallied 11 goals in the opening eight premiership games as the Bulldogs fell to a 3-5 start.

But Grant was dropped three times, and played just eight of the last 14 matches, adding only five more goals. Ten times he managed no more than 11 touches.

As Grant endured his extended flat patch, he was wracked by self-condemnation that largely sabotaged his attempts to build on his 2010 form.

"I had a pretty poor year and I was really disappointed in myself," he said.

"The coaches expected more out of me too, and fair enough.

"The team wasn’t going well and my form wasn't helping at all. My consistency was a bit wavy - up and down.

"I have high expectations of myself and when I'm not performing up to that level, like last year, I tend to get a bit down on myself.

"And that negative stuff doesn’t help you when you’re trying to find some form to stay in the team, or to get back in the team."

With the help of leadership consultant Richard Maloney, Grant has developed a more positive mindset - he says "a fresh attitude" - and feels better equipped to handle the game's challenges.

He will also better occupy his time and mind with diversions away from the game - online study for a small business certificate, and pursuing his interest in horse racing.

"I was full-time footy last year and that probably contributed a bit to my down year," Grant said.

"This will give me something to do away from the footy club and take your mind away from thinking about the game flat-out 24/7, which can be a bit unhealthy at times.

"Footy's a tough industry and your head can do some funny things to you. I learnt that last year."

Grant also owns a share of promising six-year-old trotter Bout Time, and occasionally heads up the Western Freeway to Melton to check on horse's progress

"The early mornings are the hardest part because I love my sleep - most of my teammates will tell you that," he said.

"A lot of people just like to bet on horses or go to the racecourse, but I like to see what happens behind the scenes. A lot more goes into it than people think, just like at a footy club, where there's a lot more to it than just game day."

Recently retired Bulldogs forward Barry Hall has also had a huge influence on Grant, who describes Hall as his favourite Dogs identity. Aside from his training and playing example, Hall made a significant impact upon Grant with his attitude to life.

"He was great off the field too because he's very jovial," Grant said. "I learnt from him that as much as we want to win every week, you also need to have some fun and have a life outside footy."

Grant is hopeful of having more fun on the field too. Since being the Bulldogs' first pick at No. 5 in the 2007 NAB AFL Draft, he has played 37 games in four seasons. But with Hall gone, Grant is one of several tall forwards hoping to thrive in a restructured attack.

He has enjoyed a solid pre-season, although he missed a week of training pre-Christmas with back soreness as he adapted to the increased leg weights demanded under the new regime.

Grant says it's crucial that he becomes versatile enough to play tall and small roles in a more fluid forward line.

A focus has been his aerial work, in particular contested marking. Even in 2010 he took just eight; and last year only seven, when the Dogs' veteran runners Daniel Giansiracusa and Daniel Cross managed 19 and 17 respectively. However, with assistant coach Steven King schooling him on positioning and general physicality, it may well become a strength.

Although he continues to improve his physical strength, the gains are hardly noticeable on Grant's lean, 192cm and 83kg frame. He has finally accepted that he won’t develop into a muscle-bound pack-breaker.

An inspiration, though, is teammate Bob Murphy, who started his career at 71kg and is now also listed at 83kg.

"Murph holds one of the records here for weight-to-power ratio, so there's nothing to say that a leaner guy can’t be strong and have a good career," he said.

"Murph gives guys like me some hope that we might be able to do that too."

Article

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Taken For Granted

We need Grant to kick at least 40 to 50 goals this year. Lets hope he turns it around.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We need Grant to kick at least 40 to 50 goals this year. Lets hope he turns it around.
    That seems unrealistic unless you expect him to be our leading goalscorer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    That seems unrealistic unless you expect him to be our leading goalscorer.
    He had 30 in 2010 and had a poor season last year and managed to get 16, 40 is not unrealistic IMO.

Grant is one of the players that need to step up if we are going to go anywhere. He has the talent but mentally he seems a fair way off. Reading this article he seems he's fighting the mental side of AFL football head on which is great to hear.

Post Thanks / Like

Not going to happen 20 to 30 maybe if we are lucky.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be great for the team and player but I wonder how realistic it is. In my opinion 40 goals might be about his limit and 50 would be a great return.

He has the ability to become a regular goal scorer but the question around his application is the thing that might hold him back.

He needs to be fit and focused from round one if he wants to establish himself as a genuine goal kicking forward.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It would be great for the team and player but I wonder how realistic it is. In my opinion 40 goals might be about his limit and 50 would be a great return.

He has the ability to become a regular goal scorer but the question around his application is the thing that might hold him back.

He needs to be fit and focused from round one if he wants to establish himself as a genuine goal kicking forward.
    Wonder how he would go down half back. I know we already have enough candidates. Howard was touted as the new Gillbee. But Howard seems a bit more aggressive and has a stronger body. Grant is a bit bob murphy-ish, as the article alludes to.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    If, 6 months down the track, it's still not working with this guy, perhaps a switch to half back may be the order of the day.
    I would normally back an idea like that to spark a player but he does need to step up this year as a forward especially at the start of the season. Right at this moment I'd only consider that move if he was struggling as a forward from about the half way mark of the season as a way of trying to run him back into form.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I would normally back an idea like that to spark a player but he does need to step up this year as a forward especially at the start of the season. Right at this moment I'd only consider that move if he was struggling as a forward from about the half way mark of the season as a way of trying to run him back into form.
    Right. Interesting times. Be cheering him on in a major way this season. Get on up Avatar!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Come on Jarrad time to extract the digit!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Agree totally.

Grant needs to step up as a forward and demand opposition attention. Liam Jones is 20 and has only played 20 odd games, we need Grant to be a dangerous option. If teams want to double or triple team Jones, we need Grant to hurt them, otherwise our most promising forward forward will be under the pump from round one.

Post Thanks / Like

From that article he doesn's sound like a guy who doesn't care about his performance, which is great considering that seemed to be a bit of a knock on him through his actions on the field.

Some players really need to learn about being a balanced person and footballer the hard way, whether they make it from that point is speculative, though if they don't make the realisation they're no chance. Hopefully the comments from Grant in the article aren't all about the required lip service and rhetoric, and he matures into a rounded individual with diverse interests and attributes. He'll be a much better footballer if he gets that right.

I think he is an exceptional talent. He needs to be played deep forward, leading high, then dropping behind the last line of defenders. He has the pace to be effective doing that, hopefully his repeat effort endurance has improved to enable him to do so. Any suggestion that we send a developing forward to the half back line is a bit silly IMO. He needs time and continuity in his best position.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

I think he is an exceptional talent. He needs to be played deep forward, leading high, then dropping behind the last line of defenders. He has the pace to be effective doing that, hopefully his repeat effort endurance has improved to enable him to do so. Any suggestion that we send a developing forward to the half back line is a bit silly IMO. He needs time and continuity in his best position.
    This.

One step at a time for where his head is at. If we can get him to be playing a straight forward role, we can develop him later as he gains confidence. He has pace and likes space so I would try exploiting this. It sounds like we need to keep it simple at the start for him and to set it up so that he can be successful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post

"A focus has been his aerial work, in particular contested marking. Even in 2010 he took just eight; and last year only seven, when the Dogs' veteran runners Daniel Giansiracusa and Daniel Cross managed 19 and 17 respectively. However, with assistant coach Steven King schooling him on positioning and general physicality, it may well become a strength". (quoted from AFL article)
    When he came to us he was being lauded for his contested marking. If he could develop this as a strength at AFL level he would become a very dangerous forward. With his lack of body weight he will never crash packs, but at 192cm and with sticky hands he should still be more than a handful for most players with the pace to match up on him.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

I just think he needs to play the old Murphy role and get to as many contests he can. I am hoping Skinner or Panos can play the FF role with Jones as the centre half forward and Grant on the flank his pace and height there should be a real advantage .
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning