Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Taken For Granted

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    When he was drafted, contested marking as noted as one of his main strengths. In his few early games, he showed this too -- particularly that night v Fletcher in the NAB Cup game.

That element of his game has certainly gone missing (save face for the one he took v Melbourne).

Perhaps the coaches really are playing him out of position, and as a result, his game has hit a downward spiral. We recruited him as a FF -- but we continue to try and make him be a HFF.

When drafted, Grant said he "wanted to be the man" in the forward line. I'd like to see us throw it over to Grant, put him at FF, and say "be" the man.

I can see us treating Liam Jones as Barry Hall, whereby EVERY passage of play gets directed through him, even if he's got four on him.

Like. ( We really need a 'like' button!)
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Yep. Probably doesn't have the tank to play a 'high' role too.

He needs to play deep and to use his pace on the lead.
    +1, gives him the best chance to fully utilise his skill set.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Good article and an excellent insight into the pressures faced by emerging footy players, especially those picked high in the draft.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned his crumbing - he's often been our best crumbing forward in the past few years, and I'd like to see him used in a way that allows him to stay down at times, or to use his pace to get to the fall of the ball.

I also don't mind the idea of him getting some confidence off a back flank. Ideally we want him to be a damaging forward, but there's plenty of players who have benefited from a stint down back - though perhaps endurance and ball-movement might be issues here.

Also a bit surprised by MJP's comment re his kicking - I hadn't picked up this weakness. Perhaps he can't spear the ball over distance like Murphy. What Grant can do very well is set up a leading forward which he did a number of times with Hall last year (and with Jones in the intraclub).
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post
    Also a bit surprised by MJP's comment re his kicking - I hadn't picked up this weakness. Perhaps he can't spear the ball over distance like Murphy. What Grant can do very well is set up a leading forward which he did a number of times with Hall last year (and with Jones in the intraclub).
    I tend to agree. He's not a damaging field kick in a Gilbee fashion, but I think he can still be effective in that role. I've always thought his field kicking is better than his set shot goal kicking, so I can sort of see why we want him to play higher.

That being said, I'd be really interested to see how he went playing deep forward with a solid opportunity (ie. more than a week or two) to show what he can do. If he's going to be a better player there, surely that's better for the team as well as the individual. It's not like we have a bunch of proven FF's waiting in the wings.