Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Adam Cooney could spend more time in forward line

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    But how many players in the back line do you have doing that, we already have Wood, Murphy and Lake backing themselves, running up the ground, who is staying back, could Murphy and Cooney be one too many and getting in each others way?
    Wood to the midfield/forward line? He can take a mark.

I actually don't mind the idea of playing Cooney off half back. He did play back in the SANFL - and if it was sold to him like playing the McLeod role he just might go for it

He must be under a huge amount of pressure and I'm sure it's more frustrating for him and his teammates than anyone else. He's such a good player there a positives playing him just about anywhere - let's just hope he's able to a play a full season somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Hi Ledge all good points, but the way defences are set up now in zones, you play space as much as you play opposition players..
    Bingo - it also allows "slower" defenders a chance to not get cut up on the lead (think Markovic, Hurley).
    Cooney as a defender could work - I guess since he hasn't been on the paddock, we wont know if that has been mooted over the summer by B-Mac.

I've seen Cooney go behind the ball in general play.
    In games against Collingwood setting Griffen up a few metres behind the midfield pack worked wonders - he had the nous, vision & explosiveness to give us effective clearances whilst stopping their quick mids from getting away. Cooney could play this role when pinch hitting through the middle, leaving the grunt work for the insiders.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Wood to the midfield/forward line? He can take a mark.
    He can, but can he read the play well enough? He doesn't get alot of possessions in the backline - a position where he's getting led to the ball.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Don't like the cooney down back idea.

His kicking wasn't up to it last year and turnovers down back is the last place you want them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dazb View Post

His kicking wasn't up to it last year and turnovers down back is the last place you want them.
    He shouldn't have been on the park in most games last year I think you wil see a much different player this year. Unfortunately I think there will be little time in the middle but I can see him playing the Robbie Flower HBF role .
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dazb View Post

This.

If Cooney is fit and his disposal is OK, he needs to play midfield and rest forward.

If he's at 70%, he plays forward.

I don't think there will ever be a time that we/he would benefit from playing in the back half. We don't really have that luxury in the midfield or up forward of even trialing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    This.

If Cooney is fit and his disposal is OK, he needs to play midfield and rest forward.

If he's at 70%, he plays forward.

I don't think there will ever be a time that we/he would benefit from playing in the back half. We don't really have that luxury in the midfield or up forward of even trialing it.
    I understand where you're coming from TBB, but the concept of 'resting forward' just doesn't exist anymore in 2012 football. If anything, the physical demands on a forward are increasing, and from an explosiveness perspective (the stop-start nature of which causes the most wear and tear on the knee) is probably the most demanding on the ground, even more so than in the midfield.

Multiple leads, bending down at speed to crumb, spinning on a dime, changing direction to chase, repeated tackling, lunging to spoil, crashing packs, leaping, snapping shots off at goal -- these aren't the activities that you would associate with 'resting', and if he really IS resting up forward, he will be the first player an opposition coach will exploit going the other way (ie. he will be a defensive liability as a forward).

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

I understand where you're coming from TBB, but the concept of 'resting forward' just doesn't exist anymore in 2012 football. If anything, the physical demands on a forward are increasing, and from an explosiveness perspective (the stop-start nature of which causes the most wear and tear on the knee) is probably the most demanding on the ground, even more so than in the midfield.

Multiple leads, bending down at speed to crumb, spinning on a dime, changing direction to chase, repeated tackling, lunging to spoil, crashing packs, leaping, snapping shots off at goal -- these aren't the activities that you would associate with 'resting', and if he really IS resting up forward, he will be the first player an opposition coach will exploit going the other way (ie. he will be a defensive liability as a forward).

Thoughts?
    I hope that when they go to 2 interchange and 2 subs (and I think they will) the resting forward will come back.

Without the ability to rest as many players on the bench, midfielders and ruckmen will return to resting and actually have to rest. Or die.

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts?
    Good post Lantern.

I think it all comes back to Cooney's physical condition. If he isn't fit enough, then he really shouldn't be played. He has to be at least 90% fit, in which case he should resume full (or close to) midfield duties. He will still be required to play a portion of the game up forward, but you're right in that it's not the type of "rest" as it was a few years ago.

If his knee is giving him any kind of trouble, then he just can't play. The modern game won't allow it, and it's not good for his confidence (and life after footy) either.

Players with injuries will be exploited in any position on the ground these days, no matter how good they are.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW I think Cooney's case is likely to go one of two ways.

1) He's able to consistently play at around 80-90%, perhaps becoming more of an inside player than he already is.

or

2) He retires in the next 2 or so years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

2) He retires in the next 2 or so years.
    I heard him say early last year that he will probably not play beyond 30.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.