Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brian's Back

Post Thanks / Like

Brian's Back

Bulldogs Website

An un-interrupted pre-season and a new mentoring role has breathed new life into Western Bulldogs defender Brian Lake, with the 30 year-old looking forward to once again cementing his place in the Club’s senior line-up.

After a horror 2011 Season with injuries where he claims “everything possible that went wrong did” Lake’s confidence has been buoyed by a preseason with no major setbacks.

Named in the Bulldogs’ NAB Cup squad to take on Carlton this Sunday at Etihad Stadium, Lake now turns his focus to regaining match fitness ahead of the season proper.

“As soon as I got back out in training - being able to sprint, change direction, jumping as well - it has given me a hell of a lot of confidence,” Lake said.

“I’m reasonably fresh I have dropped a few kilos - that I probably needed to - to help the knee out a little bit and I am very excited.

“For me personally I want to play as much as I can because not being at the highest level for so long I need to get that touch back, that feel back for AFL football.”

Lake expects to play out the first half of Sunday’s match with the aim of building up game time as the NAB Cup progresses.

“I’ll go into half time and see how the body is tracking but most likely [play] the first half,” he said.

While Lake is eyeing Round 1, the dual All-Australian defender plainly stated he’d have no hesitation building match fitness through the Bulldogs’ AFL affiliate Williamstown. Ultimately he just wants to play football.

“It is really a matter for the fitness staff if they think I have played enough game time,” he said.

“So if I do have to play a couple of weeks down for Williamstown to get match fitness then so be it.”

Lake has also added a new dimension to his on-field role, acting as a mentor to the younger compatriots in the back six.

“I guess my role now getting a little bit older and with some of the guys coming through is to be more of a teacher - trying to get the boys around me as best as possible,” he said.

Lake will be a welcome addition to the Bulldogs defensive stocks on Sunday as they line up against Carlton at Etihad Stadium at 5:40pm.

To view the Western Bulldogs’ full NAB Cup squad for Sunday’s match against Carlton at Etihad Stadium, click here.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brian's Back

I thought that was a great interview/press conference, and it was fantastic to hear from Brian. He's virtually said nothing for 12 months, so it was really pleasing to hear him talk about last year and his prospects for this year.

Looked very upbeat and on his toes, with great body language -- can't help but feel excited to see him back out there. One of my favourite players to watch when on song.

Post Thanks / Like

Great to see Brian looking happy and keen, some people in the football world seem to have forgotten just how good he is when at his best. Hopefully this year will be a reminder for them.

He looks quite a bit slimmer yet no less muscular, perhaps a sign he's really making an effort to be at his physical best.

Post Thanks / Like

Well i'm feeling much more confident in Brian after watching that.

He looks enthused and genuinely excited about playing.

Also looks fit, never seen Brian with any sort of cut in the arms before.

Post Thanks / Like

First mention I've heard of OP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    First mention I've heard of OP
    Yeah same here.
    I just hope he can get back to his best. His confidence is what helped make him a champion, so if he can get his confidence back we should get Brian back.

Post Thanks / Like

He was ready for any 'challenge' the interviewers threw at him. Hopefully that's indicative of his footy mindset.

Post Thanks / Like

Surprised at his relaxed frame of mind. Threw light on last year. If his body holds up can see a terrific contribution from Brian. Would really like to see Markovic and Williams take the talls and leave Brian as the third man floater.
    WesternOval'61

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I thought that was a great interview/press conference, and it was fantastic to hear from Brian. He's virtually said nothing for 12 months, so it was really pleasing to hear him talk about last year and his prospects for this year.

Looked very upbeat and on his toes, with great body language -- can't help but feel excited to see him back out there. One of my favourite players to watch when on song.
    Last year the only words we heard from him were the the interview he did with Barrett/Hutchinson (can't remember which) for the Footy Show, which painted a pretty ordinary picture, so to have him fronting the media looking relaxed and with a smile on his face is great to hear.

I think its been said before that Brian is so relaxed he'd fall asleep on the rub down table on Grand Final day. I saw a bit of that in the interview.

Post Thanks / Like

I loved it when one of the interviewers quizzed him on his mental toughness in playing through injuries, and although you could see him bear up slightly, he really rolled with the punch and just reiterated all the times he had played with painkillers, and just put the bloke right in his place, I thought. No better way to show up a journo than highlight a lack of research.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    I loved it when one of the interviewers quizzed him on his mental toughness in playing through injuries, and although you could see him bear up slightly, he really rolled with the punch and just reiterated all the times he had played with painkillers, and just put the bloke right in his place, I thought. No better way to show up a journo than highlight a lack of research.
    A few supporters (and coaches) alluded to this throughout last year too.

Absolute tripe; he played with injections in both 2009/2010 and particularly in the 2010 finals series.

It's harder to return from injury (surgery), than it is to play with it, in some cases. Brian's was one of these, particularly given he had 3 major operations.

Post Thanks / Like

He's looking good, isn't he? Sounding confident too! Yay!!!

Post Thanks / Like

He is a relaxed chappy isn't he? Comes across very well on camera.

Still, a bit too much expectation on him with press conferences like this?
    Shaggy is back, with our defense in back in business as soon as Dale returns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P0yrwmJmdI

A little Brian Harris finishing move for your pleasure
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 03-03-2012 at 09:15 AM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I was really happy to see this. Welcome Back Brian.

However, are we not heaping a bit too much expectation on him with press conferences like this? Wish him all the best. So good to see Shaggy and Brian back. And when Dale makes a return, that's a very strong back three.
    I'm not so sure we are heaping too much expectation on him but I think we should be getting excited about the possibility of having a back line of a fit and in form Lake and Hargrave and the arrival of Morris in the not too distant future.
    Lake, Williams, Morris and Hargrave are great building blocks that can be topped up by the likes of Wood, Howard, Veszpremi and Markovic.
    Getting Lake back to somewhere near his best is vital for us this season.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm not so sure we are heaping too much expectation on him but I think we should be getting excited about the possibility of having a back line of a fit and in form Lake and Hargrave and the arrival of Morris in the not too distant future.
    Lake, Williams, Morris and Hargrave are great building blocks that can be topped up by the likes of Wood, Howard, Veszpremi and Markovic.
    Getting Lake back to somewhere near his best is vital for us this season.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus