Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Sham Cup

Post Thanks / Like

The Sham Cup

We can only hope the cancellation of today's Saints vs Bombers game brings us one step closer to getting rid of this comp and extending the home and away season.
    How can you have a legit competition with games of different lengths, ridiculous trial rules, only 4 rounds of 18 teams and at unfamiliar locations and grounds? Just to name a few problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Sham Cup

Couldn't agree more Chops.
    Playing games of football still, also now they're having match day training !!
    Season should start next week and each team have 2 Byes!

Post Thanks / Like

Am sure the people in country vic disagree with you chops. Love the NAB, getting a look at the new kids, can get front fow seats easy peasy and supergoals are cool. Only thing I hate is when dogs players get injured.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Reports that, if a decision can't be reached between the clubs (St Kilda want the 4 points), they will flip a coin to decide the match.

Shows how much respect the AFL has for the competition.

EDIT: Official AFL Statement
    Last edited by jazzadogs; 04-03-2012 at 12:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    We can only hope the cancellation of today's Saints vs Bombers game brings us one step closer to getting rid of this comp and extending the home and away season.
    How can you have a legit competition with games of different lengths, ridiculous trial rules, only 4 rounds of 18 teams and at unfamiliar locations and grounds? Just to name a few problems.
    Post of the year
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Reports that, if a decision can't be reached between the clubs (St Kilda want the 4 points), they will flip a coin to decide the match.

Shows how much respect the AFL has for the competition.

EDIT: Official AFL Statement
    That's pretty outrageous. Toss of a coin...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Am sure the people in country vic disagree with you chops. Love the NAB, getting a look at the new kids, can get front fow seats easy peasy and supergoals are cool. Only thing I hate is when dogs players get injured.
    Of course the country people want to see games. Let them have 2 weeks of practice matches. Its the competition that's BS.
    If super goals are so good then use them all year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    That's pretty outrageous. Toss of a coin...
    Even without the coin toss the the competition is now compromised. How do you work out a percentage given its likely the finalist will be decided by this.

It also slightly compromises the real season by both side have a week off when others played.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Chops on scrapping this comp and extending the season, as for the tinkering with the rules I wish they would leave things alone.

Nine point goals meh, gimmicky and we don't need it, the AFL talks about a national completion and extending the brand overseas they need to stop playing with the rules and get it sorted so that they stop confusing people who haven't grown up with the game.

I used to enjoy the NAB cup back when it was the night series but now it's just play ground for tampering and confusing players and fans.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like some of the rules that we see in the NAB cup but I don't think it's a bad competition leading into the real season. The positives for me is the chance to see players tried in positions they don't normally play and it's also a great chance to see some of the younger guys.
    The old practice games were never that great in my opinion.

For those that are criticizing it, did you go to the final (or watch it on TV) and celebrate when we won it?

I'd certainly prefer players getting ready for match conditions via the NAB cup rather just going straight into the season without it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I'm with Chops on scrapping this comp and extending the season, as for the tinkering with the rules I wish they would leave things alone.
    They won't extend the season and even if they did, how do players get ready for match conditions without an organised competition as a lead in?

I don't like the gimmicky rules but I suppose they need a point of difference between that and the home and away season. It's also a chance to see if the proposed rules could be carried over into the home and away season.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'd certainly prefer players getting ready for match conditions via the NAB cup rather just going straight into the season without it.
    Agreed.

The current format also provides the AFL some good revenue, and an opportunity to trial a few things.

Can't see it changing myself.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure the sponsorship cash will determine the life-span of this cup.

Post Thanks / Like

Extending the home and away games would not sit well with the players. Clubs would just rest their players even more than they currently are.
    Imagine how many more dead rubber games there would be ie GWS vs Geelong.
    Not to mention games that will get no audience whether at the ground or on tv ie GWS vs
    Port Adelaide.
    I can see in the future lesser games not even being televised like back in the 70s and 80s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    They won't extend the season and even if they did, how do players get ready for match conditions without an organised competition as a lead in?

I don't like the gimmicky rules but I suppose they need a point of difference between that and the home and away season. It's also a chance to see if the proposed rules could be carried over into the home and away season.
    As I said I used to enjoy the night series way back when, I suppose I'm just getting sick and tired of the rule changes more than anything.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...