Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Surgery to decide fate of Dogs' Williams

Michael Gleeson - The Age

WESTERN Bulldogs defender Tom Williams will have exploratory surgery as soon as today after scans yesterday failed to determine the extent of damage to his dislocated shoulder.

Williams had an MRI scan but the results were inconclusive so he will have surgery today or tomorrow to get a clearer picture of the damage to his shoulder, which popped out after he landed heavily from a marking attempt on Sunday.
    Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia said it was uncertain if Williams needed a reconstruction - which would sideline him for three months - or if rest and strapping could manage the injury and he could yet play in round one.

''We just need to get a clear picture and we didn't get that from the MRI, so he will have the exploratory surgery so we know where he is at,'' Fantasia said.
    Williams said he was accustomed to the process of recovery after having had similar injuries in the past. ''I was expecting the worst but I've done it that many times now that I know how to go about it,'' Williams said yesterday. ''I just have to put my head down and get back.''
    The Williams injury came just as the Bulldogs were beginning to regain some of their bigger names in defence. Despite the long-term loss of Dale Morris who broke a leg, the Dogs all-Australian full-back Brian Lake played his first game since round 11 last year on Sunday evening and defender Ryan Hargrave also made a seamless return.

In Williams' absence, Luke Markovic, who filled in for Lake last season and played 16 games, is likely to fill a defensive role for the Dogs.
    Despite it being only a pre-season game the loss of the versatile Morris and what his ongoing absence will mean for the Dogs was acutely displayed on Sunday night against Carlton when Eddie Betts kicked five goals.
    The Dogs didn't have a natural match-up for small forward Betts, using Bob Murphy for most of the night. The creative Murphy is ordinarily better served being freed up to run and carry the ball out of defence rather than being anchored to an opponent with a tight check.
    Patrick Veszpremi, who played for the Swans as a half-forward before moving to the Bulldogs, had brief spells on Betts and might be asked to play more in defence this year.

In previous years the Dogs might have used Jarrod Harbrow in such a role but he is now at the Gold Coast.
    Last edited by bornadog; 06-03-2012 at 04:45 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Surgery to decide fate of Dogs' Williams

I'm hoping for good news for Tom. Very important for our structure, gets better with every game he plays and the poor bastard deserves some luck.

On an unrelated note, what the hell is with bringing up Harbrow at the end of the article. We didn't have him last year either...

Post Thanks / Like

With Harbrow's lack of accountability I'd reckon Betts still would of kicked a few.
    In a home and away Betts would be introducing himself to Liam Picken.

Post Thanks / Like

Now who's idea was it to sign to a new 3 yr deal?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    With Harbrow's lack of accountability I'd reckon Betts still would of kicked a few.
    In a home and away Betts would be introducing himself to Liam Picken.
    Liam Picken and Betts.. Im sure Betts is quicker but Liam Picken is the best man for the job.. Betts will feel a little violated by the end of it I reckon haha

Just as Williams was starting to have a good run with injuries and starting showing some form last year this happens! He can be a very good player for us and I hope he can get back with in the first few rounds for his sake and the teams.. Would love to see him out there with lake in the west coast game round 1.. Lets hope all goes well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Now who's idea was it to sign to a new 3 yr deal?
    As I understand it, the Football Department & the Medical Staff were canvassed beforehand & the Football Department felt 2 years, the Medical Staff felt 1 year. It's fair to say a few eyebrows were raised when he was offered a 3 year deal.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Are you guys talking about Williams being offered a 3 year deal?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    As I understand it, the Football Department & the Medical Staff were canvassed beforehand & the Football Department felt 2 years, the Medical Staff felt 1 year. It's fair to say a few eyebrows were raised when he was offered a 3 year deal.
    That is quite amazing. When was the deal signed?

Post Thanks / Like

Would that decision have emanated from Fantasia or higher up?
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

So they added them together
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...0/default.aspx

WESTERN Bulldogs defender Tom Williams will undergo exploratory surgery to his dislocated right shoulder in the next few days before a decision is made on whether he will require another reconstruction.

MRI scans have proved inconclusive, forcing the Bulldogs to pursue exploratory surgery to assess the extent of the damage.

If a reconstruction is not deemed necessary, Williams could be back playing within weeks.

Williams was injured in the opening minutes of Sunday's NAB Cup clash with Carlton at Etihad Stadium.

The injury-plagued 25-year-old, who has played 73 games in seven AFL seasons, underwent a reconstruction to his left shoulder just six months ago.

Fellow Bulldogs defender Easton Wood said Williams' teammates were hoping for the best.

"The poor bloke, he's had a devil run," Wood told reporters at Whitten Oval on Tuesday morning.

"He'll be able to come back hopefully. He's been there a number of times before.

"I guess the only positive thing is he knows the exact pathway he has to take.

"I wish him all the best (for) a speedy recovery."

The Bulldogs are also hopeful of regaining several other key players by the start of the premiership season.

The Bulldogs' medical services manager Andrew McKenzie told the club's website they had received positive feedback from the surgeon who had operated on Justin Sherman's finger, with the former Brisbane Lion expected to return to full training in the next fortnight.

Nathan Djerrkura, who suffered a broken left hand in an intra-club match, should be back in full training next week.

In VFL affiliate Williamstown's practice match on Friday night, Jason Tutt suffered a grade one hamstring and will be sidelined for the mandatory three-week period.

Veteran defender Lindsay Gilbee is also about three weeks away from being ready to play as he recovers from a calf strain.

The Bulldogs are continuing to take a long-term view with key backman Dale Morris, who sustained a broken right leg in round 21 last year.

"We've not set goals as far as timeframes on him," McKenzie said.

"It's more about building his strength, building his running progress, getting him touching the football and moving in that direction.

"We're very happy with his rehab so far."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theimmortalmike View Post
    I'm hoping for good news for Tom. Very important for our structure, gets better with every game he plays and the poor bastard deserves some luck.

On an unrelated note, what the hell is with bringing up Harbrow at the end of the article. We didn't have him last year either...
    Had to fill a couple of lines, I guess.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Would that decision have emanated from Fantasia or higher up?
    Besides Garlick who is higher than Fantasia?

Would be interesting to see how involved Garlick is involved with contacts.

Now Jason McCartney looks after this side of things?

Post Thanks / Like

Report on the WB FB page that Williams will miss 16 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Report on the WB FB page that Williams will miss 16 weeks.
    He has had so much bad luck this bloke, what a blow for him and the team.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.