Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Reviewing the rucks: Western Bulldogs

By Damo, 6 Mar 2012Damo is a Roar Pro Tagged: 2012 AFL season, AFL, Ayce Cordy, Brendan McCartney, Jordan Roughead, Tom Campbell, Western Bulldogs, Will Minson

And now for the final installment of ‘Reviewing the rucks’, where we investigate the Western Bulldogs and summarise this season’s best and worst ruck divisions.

Remember, this is not a comparative exercise but a review, based on depth, experience and talent.

Western Bulldogs:

Number one: Jordan Roughead.
    Back ups: Will Minson, Ayce Cordy, Tom Campbell.

2011: Last season saw the Doggies slide to their lowest ebb in years. Racked by injuries and poor form, the recent impressive rise of the Dogs seemed at an abrupt end, and, with a new couch, new players, new mindset and a new jumper (which just looks fantastic) the Western Bulldogs are looking ahead to a new era.

This should be reflected in their ruck stocks, with the departure of wearer of the beard Ben Hudson to Brisbane. The onus now falls onto; the dumbest genius in the AFL, Will Minson, or the emerging heir apparent, Jordan Roughead.

New coach Brendan McCartney is big wraps on young ruck stars Ayce Cordy and in particular Roughead, both able to fill roles in other areas of the ground – forward and back respectively – while being competent tap ruckman.

This coming season must be the time for the Dogs where each are given equal opportunity to impress, while Will Minson acts as the staple or ‘go to guy’ while holding down a forward-line position.

Really success is not on the radar for the once high-flying Dogs, but a new game plan and some injection of youth must be. The ruck division is no different.

Having said all that, the Dogs have some real depth in this area of the game, with two young, strong competitors aiming for number one, with a tried and true veteran ready if need be to take on full responsibility.

Grade: B-.

Over the last six articles I’ve reviewed every ruck division in the AFL, grading each and pointing out strengths and weaknesses.

While I’ve always stated I won’t compare teams or players, I think now is the time to do just that, and announce my personal favourite ruck division.

The best (in my opinion) was one of the teams who scored an A+; those teams being Carlton, Essendon, North Melbourne, Sydney and West Coast.

These five teams, based on depth, talent and experience, have, in my opinion, the best ruck divisions on the AFL, and really do pose some scary prospects for this coming season.

But my favourite, based on my criteria, is… West Coast. The combination of the experienced and brilliant Cox and the freakish raw talent of Naitanui, with the long-touted Scott Lycett waiting in the wings, presents the perfect mix of depth, talent and experience.

Of course such exercises are subjective, and you, fellow Roarer, will have your own opinion on this, which I would love to hear in the comments below.

Season 2012 looks to be a fascinating one of AFL footy, with new teams, new television rights deal, the re-emergence of Fox Footy, and the substitute rule now an established part of the game, making the art of rucking even more important.

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reviewing the rucks: Western Bulldogs

He knows alot, Roughy is our number 1 ruck
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

How is Roughead our number 1?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

2011: Last season saw the Doggies slide to their lowest ebb in years. Racked by injuries and poor form, the recent impressive rise of the Dogs seemed at an abrupt end, and, with a new couch, new players, new mindset and a new jumper (which just looks fantastic) the Western Bulldogs are looking ahead to a new era.

That'll come in handy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post

Season 2012 looks to be a fascinating one of AFL footy, with new teams, new television rights deal, the re-emergence of Fox Footy, and the substitute rule now an established part of the game, making the art of rucking even more important.

LINK
    I think this bloke ought to investigate the art of grammar (or research)
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    He knows alot, Roughy is our number 1 ruck
    I stopped reading after that.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Roughead plays defence?

Not sure what games he has been watching.

Post Thanks / Like

Roughead is no certainty to even play round 1.

I can't believe someone who signs off as "Damo" doesn't reach the highest possible standards of journalistic accuracy...
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

This just proves the old adage that opinions are like a...holes.

Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs:

Number one: Jordan Roughead.
    I just "Huh?!?!"-ed out loud at my desk!
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

I Hope The Roar don't pay Damo for his opinion

Post Thanks / Like

Tosser.