Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trade Pick 5

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Pick 5

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Definitely hold onto pick 5.
    McGregor and Hudson certainly aren't worth it as some Crows on BF are suggesting.
    Although I've drunk a pallet load of cask wine in my life but no Grange.

Just don't tell anyone Street cost us pick 20. Imagine what they'll charge us for a decent ruckman these days.
    BTW, who was pick 20? (I hate to ask)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    BTW, who was pick 20? (I hate to ask)
    Sam Butler.

Geelong taded the pick they got from us for David Haynes. As bad as we did, Geelong did worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Cooney - 2003
    Ray - 2003
    Griffen - 2004
    Williams - 2004
    Higgins - 2005
    Everitt - 2006
    ==============

Our best young players - and those who look most likely to play 10 afl seasons - have been our first picks. We should keep the pick.

If we can get someone like Thorp, Gumbleton or maybe Reid for the pick - 1 year of development in a top tenner from last year - then fine. Beyond that, we should hang tough and take the pick.

There are no quick fixes...only a quick road to another 5 years of misery.
    I've doucmented my thoughts extensively on BF, so I'll have a go here. There is nothing wrong in trading pick 5 provided you don't undersell the pick. Simply put if you can get a player (palyer pick combo) for pick 5 which is better than what you would otherwise get for pick 5 you are better off trading it.

Thorpe or Reid from last years draft would probably have gone top 5 in any other draft year. Would Henderson, McEvoy or Rance? If yes then keep pick 5, but if we are keeping pick 5 b/c it is pick 5 then we're missing the point. The difficulty is of course assessing how good these guys could be.

I accept you points re who we have drafted in the last 5 years with our first pick - but equally our first pick has produced a couple of failures - Walsh, Power and McMahon (good player yes. 1st round pick????). In Thorpe & Reid you have 2 guys who have been in the AFL system for a year so you have a better picture as to where they are at. Similarly with Roughhead etc. The key is not to over pay. There are about 4 or 5 teams who will chase Judd hard, for a variety of reasons and all aside from Carlton need another pick to make the deal happen.

Post Thanks / Like

It really is simple.

Do you think the player you are offered in exchange will be better than who you wish to draft?

If yes, trade, if no, don't trade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    It really is simple.

Do you think the player you are offered in exchange will be better than who you wish to draft?

If yes, trade, if no, don't trade.
    Yep - thanks. It really is that simple. No sense getting worked up about it. You have to trust Clayton's judgement here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Yep - thanks. It really is that simple. No sense getting worked up about it. You have to trust Clayton's judgement here.
    I do trust his judgement but I want him to get a better mix of players to.
    Bulldog Pride will never die

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's best to keep the pick and drafting a good kid each year. Even if we won the flag this year, I'd say keep pick 17 and get the best kid available. I think clubs that stay in the first round each year and can pick up a good kid will be able to get sustained success. If you're continually topping up your list with at least one good/very good kid each year you'll be laughing.