Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Zephi - Learning to feel at home away from home

I've been up there a couple of times in the last year and it certainly is very different to Melbourne. These photos bring back some memories. It's hard to overplay the difference in climate and the challenge for anybody born and bred there to adapt to a Melbourne winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    Work for one of the big AUstralian Companies (not mining) and travel a lot in SA and WA talking to the staff about things
    Thanks for posting those pictures. I really undervalue the beauty of Australia, and often feel guilty about not getting out and seeing more of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Did a visit there in the late 70's Fitzroy Crossing, Broome, halls Creek, kunnanurra. Hitching most of the time. Totally memorable in many ways. Just passing through remote outback towns back then was culturally shocking and amazing. The daily challenge of lifestyle adjustment moving to Melbourne, we can't possibly comprehend. The AFL does appear to be in a unique position in connecting with the communities but it needs great wisdom and guidance in how it goes about it.

Let's hope we can provide a great experience for Zephi and he unlocks some of the magic he obviously possesses.
    WesternOval'61

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Thanks for posting those pictures. I really undervalue the beauty of Australia, and often feel guilty about not getting out and seeing more of it.
    Absolutely stunning photos. When you think of remote WA you picture desert, desert and more desert, and yet there you are.

I love reading articles like that, whether they are our players or not. Emma writes very well. Really hope Zephi can crack it for a few senior matches this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Great article, and thanks for the photos T&T.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Cable Beach at Sunset is now on my bucket list.

Post Thanks / Like

Listening to Bob Murphy on AFL 360 he said he has nothing for admiration for guys like Skinner who come from the outback to play footy in the big smoke. He said Skinners world compared to his are totally different. Skinners days at home are spent spear fishing and catching Goannas and then he comes to Melbourne and has to adapt.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Listening to Bob Murphy on AFL 360 he said he has nothing for admiration for guys like Skinner who come from the outback to play footy in the big smoke. He said Skinners world compared to his are totally different. Skinners days at home are spent spear fishing and catching Goannas and then he comes to Melbourne and has to adapt.
    Not exactly. He was working in a meat packing plant.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Not exactly. He was working in a meat packing plant.
    Bob was talking about when he goes back to his home town.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been to Broome quite a few times, and love the place. I didn't like Dampier too much, too desolate, Port Hedland is the same. All of these places are the harsh red earth, sunburnt country that Australia is known for, yet most Aussies have never seen them.

My favourite pastime when I was in Broome was going down to Cable Beach, sitting about 100m from the surf on the dry sand, and watching the tourists lay down their towels, etc. right near the water. We'd sit and listen to the sea change that indicates the tide coming back in, and wham! They'd all get swamped… The tidal changes there are more than 10 metres!

Even living in WA for the 5 years I was there I found it very hard to get used to Melbourne's weather again, even though I'd grown up here. I'd hate to imagine how hard it is for blokes like Zeph, and Liam Jurrah, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    I've been to Broome quite a few times, and love the place. I didn't like Dampier too much, too desolate, Port Hedland is the same. All of these places are the harsh red earth, sunburnt country that Australia is known for, yet most Aussies have never seen them.

My favourite pastime when I was in Broome was going down to Cable Beach, sitting about 100m from the surf on the dry sand, and watching the tourists lay down their towels, etc. right near the water. We'd sit and listen to the sea change that indicates the tide coming back in, and wham! They'd all get swamped… The tidal changes there are more than 10 metres!
    Even living in WA for the 5 years I was there I found it very hard to get used to Melbourne's weather again, even though I'd grown up here. I'd hate to imagine how hard it is for blokes like Zeph, and Liam Jurrah, etc.
    If not for all the tyre tracks it'd be a brilliant beach cricket deck.