Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new Presti?

Post Thanks / Like

A new Presti?

By Ben Collins for AFL

LUKAS Markovic is a popular team man who would never wish ill on anyone, let alone a teammate, but the man they affectionately refer to as 'Marko' is making a strange habit of capitalising on the misfortunes of fellow Bulldogs backmen.

Last year Brian Lake's assorted injury problems thrust Markovic into a key defensive role, with the former Hawthorn rookie making his AFL debut at the ripe old age of 24 and being a serviceable performer in 16 games.

Now he is the player likely to benefit most from the long-term shoulder injury suffered by Tom Williams - and he is determined to once again entrench himself in the Bulldogs' back six.

"It's very unfortunate for Tommy; he's had a very bad run, so I feel really bad for him but … it is another opportunity for someone to step up," Markovic said at Whitten Oval on Tuesday.

"I certainly don’t have that role cemented yet - we've got some good young kids coming through - but I certainly want to put my best foot forward and try to jump in that role … (and) hold down that key position."

The Bulldogs hope the 25-year-old can develop into a self-sacrificing defender like former Collingwood fullback Simon Prestigiacomo - a prospect that excites Markovic.

"If I could be seen as a player of that sort of ilk, then I'd be absolutely rapt," he said.

Markovic says he also has some great role models at Whitten Oval.

"I try and take little bits off Brian [Lake], Tom [Williams], Bob [Murphy] and 'Mozz' [Dale Morris] as well," he said.

"They all chime in with … great tactics of how they can beat their opponent and I try to take a bit off everyone.

"I watch Brian quite a lot - I think his body work underneath the contest is second to none. (I) just try to take a leaf out of his book.

"Also, if I could develop a little bit of Dale Morris in me where I could play on a range of players, I think that would help a lot as well."

On Saturday at Simmonds Stadium in Geelong he could find himself opposed to Tom Hawkins, who was a matchwinner in last year's Grand Final.

"We haven't really looked into the match-ups yet - we're probably more focused on what we're going to be doing and how we want to play - but I'd see myself matching up on someone like that," he said.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A new Presti?

Presti is high company to be put into. The ultimate dour defender, probably matched only by Mick Martyn in my memory.

Not sure that Marko can reach that level but if our defenders keep getting injured like they are he'll keep getting chances, its just a matter of finding the right player to put him on and making sure the midfield takes some pressure off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Presti is high company to be put into. The ultimate dour defender, probably matched only by Mick Martyn in my memory.

Not sure that Marko can reach that level but if our defenders keep getting injured like they are he'll keep getting chances, its just a matter of finding the right player to put him on and making sure the midfield takes some pressure off.
    Thats the same with all defenders.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Thats the same with all defenders.
    Unless you're Dale Morris and you can play on virtually anyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless you're Dale Morris and you can play on virtually anyone.
    Thats only coz he is a freak and 1 Dale Morris is born every 100 years..

We will miss him this season

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that Marko came 10th in our B&F last year, yet many fans don't put him in our best 22.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

All that aside, anyone else think Marko has a really funny gait?, ( I noticed in Ballarat.) The way he runs is very 'top heavy'.
    I think he has a really good footy brain, but the way he runs I found intriguing, being able to see him up close.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    All that aside, anyone else think Marko has a really funny gait?, ( I noticed in Ballarat.) The way he runs is very 'top heavy'.
    I think he has a really good footy brain, but the way he runs I found intriguing, being able to see him up close.
    Any weirder than Lakey's gait? Brian runs top heavy too.. sometimes looks like he's going to topple over.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Any weirder than Lakey's gait? Brian runs top heavy too.. sometimes looks like he's going to topple over.
    Doesn't Brian kick the ball in a funny way!! I really enjoy watching him kick
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit I am watching the way the team plays as a whole,win or lose.

Marko gets more of the ball than Presti doesn't he?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Interesting that Marko came 10th in our B&F last year, yet many fans don't put him in our best 22.
    Excellent point. I guess the fact that he would struggle to get a game if Lake, Williams, Hargrave and Morris were all fit is the justification for this. I am confident he has further improvement in him. It may be Tom who needs to find an alternative role in the short term once he gets over his injury.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

I am a big fan Of Marko even if Tommy didnt get injured i believe Marko would still be in the side.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have Marko ahead of tommy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    On the ground, yes, I agree, but not in the air.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    If it was between Marko and Williams playing on a decent key forward I would choose Marko.