Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Wallis feeling no pressure

By Ben Collins - AFL

MITCH Wallis says the pressure of being the son of a club great has disappeared as he enters his second season with the Western Bulldogs.

And the hard-nosed midfielder is certainly playing like a young man without any burdens.

Wallis' father Steve averaged 20 disposals over 261 games for the Bulldogs from 1983-96 and captained the club in 1989.

A centreman who later moved to defence, Wallis senior also finished in the top three in the Dogs' best and fairest on three occasions, was equal-fourth in the 1985 Brownlow Medal and represented Victoria three times.

The younger Wallis, now 19, has clearly inherited some of his father's most admirable qualities, and is steadily developing into a similarly solid footballer of great nous and hardness.

After being an obvious father-son selection for the Bulldogs in the 2010 NAB AFL Draft, the blond midfielder played six AFL games last season and looks set to at least double that tally this year.

He admitted he felt a little added pressure to perform last year but it had since faded.

"My dad played it down a little bit [and] made it a bit easier for me, trying to take some of the implied pressure that was put on by the media and other types of people," Wallis told a press conference at Whitten Oval on Tuesday.

"I just went along for the ride. I love footy that much that it sort of overcasts any of the pressure that you do get.

"There's younger kids than me [here now]. I've learned a lot from my first year - a few experiences that I'll never forget - so I'm really excited this year to put some of those things into play."

Bulldogs fans - and the players themselves - gained an exciting glimpse of the future during Sunday's gallant loss to North Melbourne at Ballarat, when their young midfielders stepped up in the absence of veteran duo Matthew Boyd and Daniel Cross.

The Bulldog pups dominated the contested possession count 133-101 - a special effort in the circumstances, with first-choice ruckman Will Minson also rested.

At the forefront were the likes of second-year players Wallis (20 disposals, including eight contested), Tom Liberatore and Luke Dahlhaus and prized draftee Clay Smith.

"That did give us young guys a lot of confidence if one of them (Boyd or Cross) were to miss out through injury," Wallis said.

"But we've still got a long way to go in terms of what happens outside the contest as they did hurt us a little bit on the spread. But we're still young and learning."

Wallis said the job of organising the Bulldogs around the stoppages had fallen to Ryan Griffen in the first half before he was rested, but then the youngsters had taken charge.

"'Libba' and 'Smithy' and myself were all sort of playing a role because it was put on us to step up to the plate, and we all did pretty well in the second half," he said.

"We got on top of them in the stoppages, which was good. Everyone played their role and everyone, when it was their turn to say something or set something up, they did it."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wallis feeling no pressure

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    "But we've still got a long way to go in terms of what happens outside the contest as they did hurt us a little bit on the spread. But we're still young and learning."
    This was our big problem in the last couple of years. Needs to be rectified quickly, but do we have the players available that can spread and run?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Lets hope he is as tough as the old man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Lets hope he is as tough as the old man
    Ahhhh… Thanks mate, great way to start the day — watching Wally, Danny and Grant beat the shit out of some Eagles is always a beautiful sight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Ahhhh… Thanks mate, great way to start the day — watching Wally, Danny and Grant beat the shit out of some Eagles is always a beautiful sight.
    These days Wally would cop weeks for that, no matter how marginal the head contact was.

Post Thanks / Like

It was good to see young Wally's game against North. He is improving all the time which is a big plus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    It was good to see young Wally's game against North. He is improving all the time which is a big plus.

Before Sunday most of the talk around here was that he hadn't improved at all since he was drafted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    [/B]

Before Sunday most of the talk around here was that he hadn't improved at all since he was drafted.
    Don't worry Mantis, a poor performance this weekend and he'll be back on the chopping block.

Could he be the new Nathan Eagleton?.....

Post Thanks / Like

[/B]

You don't believe most of the talk on here do you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Don't worry Mantis, a poor performance this weekend and he'll be back on the chopping block.

Could he be the new Nathan Eagleton?.....
    Please tell me Wallis isn't being added to the scapegoat category?

We've got that many players on here that are immune from any form of criticism I've lost track of the who the handful of players we're allowed to discuss are.

Post Thanks / Like

You're right, but I think some of that criticism was overstated.

I think Wallis will be a huge benefactor of our new game plan in that spreading/creating space to receive as well as short passing will be (if not already) his strengths. The fact he can win his own ball and is good with his defensive application bodes well too. He could end up becoming a very important player under the new coach.

Post Thanks / Like

Good article on a maturing player

Was very good on Sunday and it will be interesting to see how he progresses this year.

Seems to me that he is better suited to the inside role he assumed on Sunday, but I expect his outside skills to develop also