Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Free Agency

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Free Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    We have the 'unlevel' playing field because we are too weak to stand on our own. It's easy to blame others, truth hurts etc. We require extra assistance and as part of this, we have to pay the AFL back in other ways such as a crap fixture, Docklands deal etc.

Our club will have 30kish members, the big clubs have double that and more. Our only way out of relying on the kindness of strangers is by a massive increase in our membership, otherwise we have to cop being a lacky club.
    It is not an unlevel playing field because we are weak it is an unfair to most clubs, the AFL say they want clubs to be even so bring in a draft but then are hypocritical by only giving certain teams big days to play on..
    If they want even competition every club should have a turn in these games but because they dont the AFL gives money to these clubs to make up for it. Problem is it doesnt bring more supporters to clubs though as it does with those select clubs who get it every year.

Expose us every year on ANZAC day for 10 years and promote us the way those two clubs are promoted and our membership would soar too.
    Last edited by ledge; 17-03-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Added
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Lack of free to air, no blockbusters like ANZAC Day, stadium deals, etc etc all contribute to lack of exposure and therefore lack of new fans. Just imagine on ANZAC day, live coverage 100,000 at the MCG watching Collingwood and Essendon play and 1 million fans watching on live TV. What kid around 6 to 10 years old is going to say I barrack for the Bulldogs? And the more blockbusters played the more exposure and more kids picking Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton as their first team.

The club tries really hard to get more members but every year we have about 5 or 6 thousand that wait till round 3 or 4 to see if its worth joining again. Our supporters are pathetic to say the least, let alone trying to get new ones.
    I think we actually agree. I am not blaming the club or the AFL, it's the circumstances. A club with literally less than half the membership base of others, is always going to struggle and rely on the kindness of strangers.

We do have a lot of members who are on again, off again but I think that is due to us needing to convert so many of our fans into members. I think we do well to get them on board but it's obviously hard to keep them as they aren't close to being hardcore.

Life's going to be tough when you are poor, don't have fans or success.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    My son loves basketball (I have exactly zero interest in the sport) and is a Sydney Kings fan despite never having been to Sydney in his life.

He has seen the Kings on TV approximately 5,000 times though.
    I am not disagreeing with the TV discussion. I definitely agree that we pay for our 'assistance'. I think it's a bit like needing to loan money from the mob. Our original poor position got us into it now it's a cycle, we need the assistance but the conditions mean we have to rely on it.

The kids at the school I teach at all come from ethnic backgrounds, vast majority are Somali. They love footy but don't have parents who support the game/go to games so they rely on TV to watch the game. Heaps go for interstate clubs, I think the only thing that makes a difference to them is winning. Only once they get to the age where they can go alone do they change to Melbourne based clubs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    The kids at the school I teach at all come from ethnic backgrounds, vast majority are Somali. They love footy but don't have parents who support the game/go to games so they rely on TV to watch the game. Heaps go for interstate clubs, I think the only thing that makes a difference to them is winning. Only once they get to the age where they can go alone do they change to Melbourne based clubs.
    This is where we should be converting these kids to Bulldogs fans. One free junior membership, a hat a scarf and a flag - cost say $50 x 5000 kids = $250,000. Great investment for the future.

Invite them to a train with the players day and hand it out, autographs, photos and away we go.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

This is where we should be converting these kids to Bulldogs fans. One free junior membership, a hat a scarf and a flag - cost say $50 x 5000 kids = $250,000. Great investment for the future.

Invite them to a train with the players day and hand it out, autographs, photos and away we go.
    Totally agree with that. I guess while we have empty seats at games, free junior memberships to kids who wouldn't go otherwise costs us nothing. I think we can produce a scarf, flag and hat for less than $50 but that just adds to your point. A friend of mine offered the suggestion of free junior memberships to any child attending a primary school in the west.

I hate us having to rely on these 'hand outs' btw because as you guys so rightly point out, they don't come for free and really stiffle our growth.

Post Thanks / Like

The only extension to the free agency coming in at the end of this season that I could see happening in the next 15 years or so is the removal of the 'at one club' requirement currently stipulated. I suspect we'll get to the point where players, after a certain number of years in the competition, will be free to change clubs on multiple occasions if they so wish.

This assumes that there's not something drastic overlooked in the initial rules that creates an unforeseen loophole that has to be closed earlier on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Watched a movie called Moneyball, the first part of that movie looked scary for us in that I could see it happening.

I think the only difference will be the salary cap so I hope it's tighten up and I have a bad feeling we will be one of the first clubs to take a hit, just like in the Gold Coast, GWS draft situation.
    We don't necessarily have a plethora of players in the age/experience bracket to be available for free agency. Griff was our number one concern and he re-signed.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Very admirable.

Also crap.

When we get the same stadium deals as Collingwood and the same preferential treatment with regards to the draw and FTA TV, I'd maybe agree with you.

That will happen 20 minutes after hell freezes over.
    Our supporters don't turn up now. Why on earth would the AFL give us Anzac Day only for our fans not to turn up, when Collingwood or Essendon are guaranteed to fill the back seats? They get the big games because they have the fans. They both had big fan bases long before Anzac Day became a regular fixture.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Our supporters don't turn up now. Why on earth would the AFL give us Anzac Day only for our fans not to turn up, when Collingwood or Essendon are guaranteed to fill the back seats? They get the big games because they have the fans. They both had big fan bases long before Anzac Day became a regular fixture.
    ? So we have no opportunity to gain more fans while the other clubs do. We have to stay quiet and not complain.
    Who cares if we get 30K to an ANZAC day clash. That's 30K we dont get now and 80K 2 already rich clubs miss out on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    ? So we have no opportunity to gain more fans while the other clubs do. We have to stay quiet and not complain.
    Who cares if we get 30K to an ANZAC day clash. That's 30K we dont get now and 80K 2 already rich clubs miss out on.
    We could get at least 60k year one and maybe more the following, but the TV exposure would be huge.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We could get at least 60k year one and maybe more the following, but the TV exposure would be huge.
    And neither add up to money gained for the AFL. Who cares if we get 30K to an ANZAC day clash? The AFL and the TV networks, that's who. It's not just about attendance at the gate either, it's about TV ratings as well.

I'm not saying it's right, just that it's a pipe dream to think we'll ever play Anzac Day. Not until Dogs supporters start turning up to games, anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

And neither add up to money gained for the AFL. Who cares if we get 30K to an ANZAC day clash? The AFL and the TV networks, that's who. It's not just about attendance at the gate either, it's about TV ratings as well.

I'm not saying it's right, just that it's a pipe dream to think we'll ever play Anzac Day. Not until Dogs supporters start turning up to games, anyway.
    The current system is making the big clubs get bigger and bigger and the minnos will never ever catch up.

Post Thanks / Like

So it's more important to please the TV networks than it is to run a fair competition.

How do you propose we get more members to turn up when we get little to no exposure?

Post Thanks / Like

So it's more important to please the TV networks than it is to run a fair competition.

How do you propose we get more members to turn up when we get little to no exposure?
    It's all about the $$$$.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I see the AFL is already talking about lowering it 7 seasons. Players as young as 23 could be restricted free agents within the next couple of seasons.
    The curse is dead.