Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Free Agency

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Free Agency

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    The media has a lot to answer for on that.
    So if we played the Saints on Anzac day we would get 100,000 people there to watch us?

They have a hell of a lot of history which started well before they started playing on Anzac day.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    So if we played the Saints on Anzac day we would get 100,000 people there to watch us?

They have a hell of a lot of history which started well before they started playing on Anzac day.
    If any two vic clubs were pumped up for it in the media for 15 years , it wouldnt surprise me at all.

A lot of people who dont support either clubs go every year.

Personally I think it should be the grand final replay, at least its earnt and a reward, not just handed to you so you get stronger and more media than any other club every year.

Thus more supporters while other clubs might get some money to make up for it but it doesnt make up for the exposure.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    If any two vic clubs were pumped up for it in the media for 15 years , it wouldnt surprise me at all.

A lot of people who dont support either clubs go every year.

Personally I think it should be the grand final replay, at least its earnt and a reward, not just handed to you so you get stronger and more media than any other club every year.

Thus more supporters while other clubs might get some money to make up for it but it doesnt make up for the exposure.
    My preference would be to have the best two performed Vic clubs from the previous year, but I don't think you would get as big of crowd or the passion.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    My preference would be to have the best two performed Vic clubs from the previous year, but I don't think you would get as big of crowd or the passion.
    Personally, I don't like the idea of Anzac day military rhetoric mixed with football. Anyway. Back to Free Agency, a good summary of how it works is here

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/we...0/default.aspx

Glad Ryan is signed up. From what I read you have to serve a club for some time before you get the right to be a free agent. 8-10 seasons is fair service IMO.

The GWS year with Ward was a bit of anomaly and hurt to watch him running around out there. we got burnt. Water under the Sydney harbor bridge now.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I was having a moment contemplating about free agency this morning and a thought crossed my mind.

If a club got really good at recruiting the more mature player with skills that develop slower than your star teenager, say he was a year away from hitting he's straps at say 22 or 23 by the time he is up for free agency he would be on the decline with age.

This way were not grooming a club for the wealthy.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    ? So we have no opportunity to gain more fans while the other clubs do. We have to stay quiet and not complain.
    Who cares if we get 30K to an ANZAC day clash. That's 30K we dont get now and 80K 2 already rich clubs miss out on.
    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We could get at least 60k year one and maybe more the following, but the TV exposure would be huge.

What does this have to do with free agency?
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting point Hotdog60, trends in recruiting suggest that clubs are more likely to get a "ready made" player then in previous years. This will have to play a part in recruitment strategy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    What does this have to do with free agency?
    Obviously you didn't read all the posts as it steered away from free agency to how the dogs get screwed.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Obviously you didn't read all the posts as it steered away from free agency to how the dogs get screwed.
    yep gathered that, maybe we should start a doggie rogering thread