Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Steven King Fined

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Wonder what time he stopped drinking?

Westdog 54 do you know what percentage of drink drivers are caught "the morning after'?
    As a percentage, no I don't have the figure and stuffed if I know where I could find it.

Having said that its far more common than people realise and we're certainly out looking for it on weekend mornings.

People tend to be very under-educated about alcohol and how the body processes it.

Post Thanks / Like

What a DH, it's good to see his mates looked after him when he finish his session. This is just as embarrassing for the club as King.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    More to the point of if a player has a drink he can hardly say anything, at his age and his job he should know better.

Bit like my boss telling me its not allowed to have a mobile phone at work because it interferes with the bluetooth reception, then walking around talking on one.
    We all know what reaction the workers would have.
    What's drinking got to with coaching?
    How can you compare with your situation? One he isn't the players boss nor would he preach - alcohol rules to them, Two he wasn't at work.

More like saying collingwood coaching staff have little respect for Cloke because he lost his license.

Post Thanks / Like

Shannon Grant hasnt done it while in a leadership role at our club, thats the difference.
    Coaching not leadership.
    If there is a problem, I'd say the head coach or football manager would have their say not the players.

We got Grant knowing his record for alcohol incidents were worse(even at training)-thats ok but the players wont respect King.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    As a percentage, no I don't have the figure and stuffed if I know where I could find it.

Having said that its far more common than people realise and we're certainly out looking for it on weekend mornings.

People tend to be very under-educated about alcohol and how the body processes it.
    I have been breathalysed many time early in the morning. The last time was news years day coming home from Metung. Lucky I didn't have a big night.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

King will have to show true contrition and earn the respect of the playing group. Maccas mantra is team. Indiscretions reflect badly on the TEAM. Coaching staff are part of the team IMO. Positives can come from it if lessons fully learnt by all.

Had liked his influence up to this point, lots of ruck and mid-field positives coming out of the games.
    WesternOval'61

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    IMO this is more embarrassing than a player stuffing up - he's supposed to have been through that phase and, you would think, learn from it.

What an idiotic thing to do. I've got friends who are in wheelchairs because they (or someone else) did things as stupid as this.
    Agree. I've got friends who are dead for the same reason. The best man at my wedding killed himself a month later drink driving. It's a bloody stupid way to die.

More to the point of if a player has a drink he can hardly say anything, at his age and his job he should know better.

Bit like my boss telling me its not allowed to have a mobile phone at work because it interferes with the bluetooth reception, then walking around talking on one.
    We all know what reaction the workers would have.
    Too right. As a coach, he assumes a certain leadership responsibility, and he's let them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    What a DH, it's good to see his mates looked after him when he finish his session. This is just as embarrassing for the club as King.
    I agree that when you're drunk, your mates should look out for you, but have you ever tried it? Ever tried telling a mate he's too drunk, or hasn't waited long enough, before getting in the car?

We don't know that his mates didn't look out for him. He is responsible for his own actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Coaching not leadership.
    If there is a problem, I'd say the head coach or football manager would have their say not the players.

We got Grant knowing his record for alcohol incidents were worse(even at training)-thats ok but the players wont respect King.
    Sorry, but you've got to be kidding, with that post. Coaching is leadership. They may not respect either of them in that situation, and that's a loss any way you put — a loss of a senior figure who players can look up to and be guided by. OK, it's not going to affect the ruck work, as you say, but to turn around and say “Coaching not leadership” displays a pretty poor appreciation for the role of a coach in a professional team that has spent the summer preaching about “good people, not just good players”.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I have been breathalysed many time early in the morning. The last time was news years day coming home from Metung. Lucky I didn't have a big night.
    We're constantly getting the booze bus out in the morning, particularly on the way out to the Ararat Prison Construction Site, a few of their guys are known to get on the piss on Thursday night before everyone heads to home towns for the weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

We're constantly getting the booze bus out in the morning, particularly on the way out to the Ararat Prison Construction Site, a few of their guys are known to get on the piss on Thursday night before everyone heads to home towns for the weekend.
    The best one was on St Kilda rd opposite the Arts Centre. A PWC came out of no where at 10am on horse and I had to reach up and grab the breathlyser. I thought it was quiet funny.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The best one was on St Kilda rd opposite the Arts Centre. A PWC came out of no where at 10am on horse and I had to reach up and grab the breathlyser. I thought it was quiet funny.
    Vehicle intercept on horseback?

I'm smiling just picturing it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Sorry, but you've got to be kidding, with that post. Coaching is leadership.
    Ok my wording is wrong. I should have said its just not leadership and this circumstance he isnt even the head coach or leader. A couple of weeks back some here were saying coaching is teaching, that's as wrong as your statement is.

Post Thanks / Like

He's a dill, though it's not the end of the world in regards to the playing group respecting him.

It's easy to lambaste him for a stupid error however, the people who have suffered in this instance are himself, his family and probably some friends that will have to pick up the slack for his stupid behaviour. Nobody died or got injured as a result, and it's lucky that is the case.

As long as he is contrite, admits that he's done the wrong thing and demonstrates he wants to show the playing group and the football club in general (and his family and friends) that he wants to make amends for his mistake then things can get back on track.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    He's a dill, though it's not the end of the world in regards to the playing group respecting him.

It's easy to lambaste him for a stupid error however, the people who have suffered in this instance are himself, his family and probably some friends that will have to pick up the slack for his stupid behaviour. Nobody died or got injured as a result, and it's lucky that is the case.

As long as he is contrite, admits that he's done the wrong thing and demonstrates he wants to show the playing group and the football club in general (and his family and friends) that he wants to make amends for his mistake then things can get back on track.
    Very, very, very lucky. Given he was 3 times the legal limit and on the freeway. Wouldn't surprise me if the member who pulled him over interviewed him for Conduct Endangering Life.

In terms of the club, if he's come clean, informed the club and paid his fine, as far as I'm concerned he's square with the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Very, very, very lucky. Given he was 3 times the legal limit and on the freeway. Wouldn't surprise me if the member who pulled him over interviewed him for Conduct Endangering Life.

In terms of the club, if he's come clean, informed the club and paid his fine, as far as I'm concerned he's square with the club.
    He's played at St Kilda!!!! beware
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone met or talked to King yet?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus