Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Steven King Fined

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Very, very, very lucky. Given he was 3 times the legal limit and on the freeway. Wouldn't surprise me if the member who pulled him over interviewed him for Conduct Endangering Life.

In terms of the club, if he's come clean, informed the club and paid his fine, as far as I'm concerned he's square with the club.
    The scary part was it was 9.30am. Had he even been to bed? I could understand being .06 or something but .175.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Anyone met or talked to King yet?
    Not personally, but he has pretty much been our "spokesperson" for all of the pre-season. Are you trying to figure out what type of person he is?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Anyone met or talked to King yet?
    My mother in law met him when he was going out with her friends daughter. Apparently a terrific bloke.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Steven King Fined

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    The scary part was it was 9.30am. Had he even been to bed? I could understand being .06 or something but .175.
    Going to bed wouldn't have made much of a difference. I'm more concerned about when he stopped drinking.

For instance, if he had have stopped at 2:00am he must have been fairly well hammered when he finished his session, but might have felt alright when he woke up even though he'd not processed the alcohol.

Sleeping and waking up feeling OK is the big danger, it gives you confidence to get in the car when you've still got booze pumping through your veins. Can anyone say they've never driven the day after without having the potential to be over the limit?

Post Thanks / Like

King picked a great week to be a complete and utter douche - been completely lost amid the Rendell and Stynes stories.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    King picked a great week to be a complete and utter douche - been completely lost amid the Rendell and Stynes stories.
    Indeed, in the scheme of things it's barely rated a mention.

Post Thanks / Like

Has he been caught before?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Going to bed wouldn't have made much of a difference. I'm more concerned about when he stopped drinking.

For instance, if he had have stopped at 2:00am he must have been fairly well hammered when he finished his session, but might have felt alright when he woke up even though he'd not processed the alcohol.

Sleeping and waking up feeling OK is the big danger, it gives you confidence to get in the car when you've still got booze pumping through your veins. Can anyone say they've never driven the day after without having the potential to be over the limit?
    Fairly certain it is impossible to be feeling OK at 0.175

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Fairly certain it is impossible to be feeling OK at 0.175
    I would agree with that.

Though I think you might be surprised at how high you can register in terms of blood alcohol concentration the day after a big night, when you've had a decent amount of kip and eaten a big breakfast (neither of which do much for reducing the concentration of alcohol in the bloodstream).

I guess what I'm getting at is that many people have big nights, finish up at 2am have a good night's sleep and get in the car at 9:30am after a big bacon and egg breakfast thinking they're good to go.

A big night on the turps might involve eight to ten stubbies over a six or seven hour period, maybe a few Dark Masters (any brown liquor on ice, neat, or mixed depending on how the Dark Master ticks your boxes - we'll leave Jager Bombs and Vodka out of it for now) and a shot or two when things get a little silly as the night rolls on. A massive night out can involve up to and beyond 30 standard drinks, and in many cases with young people (and the older wishing they were still young) illicit drugs, consumed between 6pm and 7am.

The point is, depending on your tolerances and how that sort of consumption makes you feel you can actually wake up after six or seven hours of sleep feeling like you're OK to get in the car. Any amateur football club that plays in the top levels of their respective competitions and has recovery sessions in the pool the morning after a game will have players arriving that can attest to that. Some AFL players probably do the same thing.

I think King's experience will probably wake up a few players on our list to the home truths of drinking after a game and having to get up early and be responsible for recovery the next day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I would agree with that.

Though I think you might be surprised at how high you can register in terms of blood alcohol concentration the day after a big night, when you've had a decent amount of kip and eaten a big breakfast (neither of which do much for reducing the concentration of alcohol in the bloodstream).

I guess what I'm getting at is that many people have big nights, finish up at 2am have a good night's sleep and get in the car at 9:30am after a big bacon and egg breakfast thinking they're good to go.

A big night on the turps might involve eight to ten stubbies over a six or seven hour period, maybe a few Dark Masters (any brown liquor on ice, neat, or mixed depending on how the Dark Master ticks your boxes - we'll leave Jager Bombs and Vodka out of it for now) and a shot or two when things get a little silly as the night rolls on. A massive night out can involve up to and beyond 30 standard drinks, and in many cases with young people (and the older wishing they were still young) illicit drugs, consumed between 6pm and 7am.

The point is, depending on your tolerances and how that sort of consumption makes you feel you can actually wake up after six or seven hours of sleep feeling like you're OK to get in the car. Any amateur football club that plays in the top levels of their respective competitions and has recovery sessions in the pool the morning after a game will have players arriving that can attest to that. Some AFL players probably do the same thing.

I think King's experience will probably wake up a few players on our list to the home truths of drinking after a game and having to get up early and be responsible for recovery the next day.
    Remind me not to party with you too often Jeemak!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm amazed he's managed to avoid any alcohol education up to this point that would have warned him about exactly this possibility.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Wasn't necessarily talking about myself, thank you very much!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Was thinking the same thing -- BIG night on the turps!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    I'm amazed he's managed to avoid any alcohol education up to this point that would have warned him about exactly this possibility.
    I'd hazard a guess that he's been a part of numerous sessions of that very nature - and was still dumb enough to try it.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

It's certainly been a while since we have had a behavioral / alcohol related incident like that. When was the last one? Proud that largely, our players keep their hands clean. Unless they're in Hong Kong that is....
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus