Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Jim Stynes - Dies

Report coming through now. Very sad for someone so young.

Update from The Age:

Former Melbourne footballer Jim Stynes has died.

Stynes' wife Sam said confirmed the Melbourne Demons great died at 8.20am "in the comfort of his own home, surrounded by friends and family".

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou last night sent a message of support to the Brownlow medal winner and his family after it was revealed he had taken a turn for the worse.

"We hear reports that Jim Stynes is gravely ill, can you update us as to the situation?" Mike Sheahan asked the AFL chief on Fox Footy's On the Couch program.

"I can't say much other than Jim isn't well as we all know," Demetriou replied.

"And I think at this point in time our thoughts are with Jim and his family."

The 45-year-old has had brain surgery six times and more than 20 tumours removed in the past three years.

He stepped down from his role as president of Melbourne Football Club last month.

The club said this morning it was unable to comment on Stynes’ health.

The news comes less than a week after Stynes was presented with a blazer at a Melbourne Football Club commencement dinner.

‘‘Jim was there and was looking quite frail, he didn’t stay all that long but it was great to see him make it,’’ one fan said on an internet forum.

There has been an outpouring of support for Stynes on social media and the former footballer's name began trending on Twitter in Melbourne last night.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jim Stynes - Dies

What champion in every way, terribly sad news. Thoughts are with his family.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

The most awful news, he battled so well for so long with it. Thoughts are with his wife & young family

Post Thanks / Like

Very sad news. A true champion of the game and in life. A real people's person.

RIP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cinder View Post
    The most awful news, he battled so well for so long with it. Thoughts are with his wife & young family
    Can't even begin to imagine how difficult it must be for them, and going through it in the glare of the media as well.

Very, very sad indeed.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Such sad & tragic news. What a true champion Jim was, not just in football but in life..R.I.P Jim. Thoughts & prayers with his Family & Melbourne Football club

Post Thanks / Like

Very sad news. He was such a lovely man and contributed so much. Heart aches for his family.

Post Thanks / Like

Such an inspirational man to those who didn't know him. I can imagine the heartache to those that did.

Post Thanks / Like

So very very sad. Could not help but shed a tear. RIP Jim and hope his family find strength to help them in this sad time.

Post Thanks / Like

Had the honour of meeting him four years ago ... Truly inspirational person.

RIP Jim
    WOOF Member 422

neddie Guest

Slan Seamus. Ta laoch imigh se uainn. Go dtuga Dia a bheith in eineacht leat. RIP

Post Thanks / Like

Very sad news. RIP Jim Stynes such a true inspiration to many people. Thoughts are with your wife and family.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 20-03-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a great person .
    Very Very sad day

Post Thanks / Like

He inspired me with his feats on the field during his long, illustrious career.

He inspired me when he brought the wonderful Reach organisation to my school.

He inspired me with his courageous fight against that cancer that slowly consumed him.

He inspired me one last time in person when we had a brief chance meeting last year.

He will continue to inspire me with the legacy he leaves behind. That of an eternally courageous, selfless, dedicated and talented individual that is truly irreplacable.

Rest Peacefully Jim, your work here on earth is done.

"PARADE! ATTEN-TION!"

Post Thanks / Like

What a great person who inspired so many. My thoughts go out to his family and friends. Rest in Peace Jim.