Thanks Thanks:  113
Likes Likes:  1,267
Page 58 of 97 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768 ... LastLast

Thread: New Members

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Members

Quote Originally Posted by RCWB View Post
    Hello all. Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Have enjoyed the various opinions and thoughtful debates on WOOF on and off for a number of years and thought it was about time I joined in. Looking forward to it!
    Welcome, it is the best footy forum I've ever come across. Look forward to hearing from you.

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello all. Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Have enjoyed the various opinions and thoughtful debates on WOOF on and off for a number of years and thought it was about time I joined in. Looking forward to it!
    Welcome to WOOF RCWB. Hope you enjoy the forum and look forward to reading your contributions.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome and don't be shy to post your opinion or any comments.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beyondthevalleyofthedog View Post
    Hello all just joined today after being "encouraged" on Twitter. Thought I better put up or shut up. Anyway, Doggies supporter since 97 (what timing ikr) after Fitzroy was terminated without mercy by the AFL. You could say I've suffered a bit. But I was there on that fabled day in 2016 so can no longer complain to the footy gods. Sadly my user name has been truncated a fraction but if you get the obscure pop culture reference you win a prize.

Also, I really hate Toby Greene. Just thought I'd get that off my chest.
    Russ Meyer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Welcome to Woof SWFBulldog. Enjoy the forum. Look forward to your contributions. Are you an International Doggies member?
    I think Frode has about half a dozen memberships. Insane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigweber View Post
    Morning all, thought I should introduce myself as a new WOOF member.

I'm a relative newbie to AFL, grew up in NSW as an NRL fan but lived in Melbourne from 2013-2018 and realised fairly quickly I needed an AFL team if I was going to be acknowledged and recognised as a member of the human race. Being the simple man I am, I chose the Bulldogs to be consistent with my long-time NRL team.

Reckon I now watch more AFL than NRL and never miss the Dogs. Love the game, still learning the nuances. Also love reading WOOF, it's nice to read such well informed and considered opinions - if you ever feel the tone of WOOF is dipping you can easily feel better by reading the cesspit that is the NRL Bulldogs forum (thekennel.net.au), your eyes will bleed after about 3 posts.

Anyway, happy to be on board.
    Welcome craigweber.

Gee that must have been a couple of painful years you had to endure before seeing your first flag?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Welcome craigweber.

Gee that must have been a couple of painful years you had to endure before seeing your first flag?

Oh absolutely, the accusations of ‘bandwagon’ flew thick and fast. I actually watched that GF with a good mate and his old man, both lifelong Dogs fans, and with about two minutes left on the clock the old man just quietly sat back in his seat and started crying. By an amazing coincidence I got something in my eye at the exact same moment.

11. Likes Bulldog4life, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigweber View Post
    Oh absolutely, the accusations of ‘bandwagon’ flew thick and fast. I actually watched that GF with a good mate and his old man, both lifelong Dogs fans, and with about two minutes left on the clock the old man just quietly sat back in his seat and started crying. By an amazing coincidence I got something in my eye at the exact same moment.
    A few of us got something in our eyes that day.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

There's been a few join since I last checked this thread. Welcome aboard to you all.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi WOOFers, I've been lurking for a few weeks and figured I should join up. I'd was never keen on team sports growing up in Sydney (rugby is awful and I preferred WRC and fencing, of all things), but my Melbourne friends told me you had to have a team if you lived in Melbourne.

So, I did what any academic would do (I used to be a historian), which is research. While was planning my move to Melbourne throughought 2015 I watched a lot of games and started to develop a rubric for choosing a team.

At first I thought I should pick the Giants, because they were also new and from Sydney - but friends told me then I'd never get to see my team play.

Then I thought I'd pick the Tigers, because I had a great-great-uncle play for the Tigers (My great-aunt calls him 'uncle Jack', but that could only be Jack 'Roughnut' Irving), plus my fencing club was in Punt Rd, plus my grandfather moved from Richmond to Balmain (whose NRL team is the Tigers)... you catch my drift, lots of signs pointing to the Tiges.

But how often does someone straight up get to pick their team? Besides, a colleague told me that Richmond was a "special hell you had to be born into", and another colleague told me the Dogs' blue was definitely "my colour". And I liked the way they played (even though the only match I'd watched was that 2015 Elim final), especially Bont and Stringer. So I eschewed family connections and picked the Dogs at the end of 2015. I moved to Melbourne in January 2016, and couldn't be happier with my adopted footy team!

Anyway, hope you've got room for bandwagon jumpers.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to have you onboard Boots, welcome to WOOF
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

16. Thanks Boots thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Hi WOOFers, I've been lurking for a few weeks and figured I should join up. I'd was never keen on team sports growing up in Sydney (rugby is awful and I preferred WRC and fencing, of all things), but my Melbourne friends told me you had to have a team if you lived in Melbourne.

So, I did what any academic would do (I used to be a historian), which is research. While was planning my move to Melbourne throughought 2015 I watched a lot of games and started to develop a rubric for choosing a team.

At first I thought I should pick the Giants, because they were also new and from Sydney - but friends told me then I'd never get to see my team play.

Then I thought I'd pick the Tigers, because I had a great-great-uncle play for the Tigers (My great-aunt calls him 'uncle Jack', but that could only be Jack 'Roughnut' Irving), plus my fencing club was in Punt Rd, plus my grandfather moved from Richmond to Balmain (whose NRL team is the Tigers)... you catch my drift, lots of signs pointing to the Tiges.

But how often does someone straight up get to pick their team? Besides, a colleague told me that Richmond was a "special hell you had to be born into", and another colleague told me the Dogs' blue was definitely "my colour". And I liked the way they played (even though the only match I'd watched was that 2015 Elim final), especially Bont and Stringer. So I eschewed family connections and picked the Dogs at the end of 2015. I moved to Melbourne in January 2016, and couldn't be happier with my adopted footy team!

Always room for a historian. We have the sort of history that creates character but is storied and goes back over 135 years.

18. Thanks Boots thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post

Welcome aboard Boots. Always room on the tricolour bandwagon on one condition. Once you get on, you stay on through thick and thin.

So you arrive in Melbourne in January 2016? That 9 month wait for a premiership must have been pure hell!

20. Likes Twodogs, Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Boots. Great story-told like ...., well a historian!

With all the speculation and intrigue that’s gone on in the last week or so you can see how nutty footy fans are in Melbourne (even when team are not playing).

Hose is spot on. You have to stick with the Dogs now through thick and thin. As 2015 & 2016 proved the ride is well worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Welcome aboard Boots. Always room on the tricolour bandwagon on one condition. Once you get on, you stay on through thick and thin.

So you arrive in Melbourne in January 2016? That 9 month wait for a premiership must have been pure hell!
    Reminds me of after the final siren in 2016 when Sockeyes young Pup (around 10 yrs old) was jumping up and down yelling, " this is so amazing, I've been waiting all my life for this."

Welcome aboard Boots.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

23. Likes Twodogs, HOSE B ROMERO, Boots liked this post