Thanks Thanks:  113
Likes Likes:  1,267
Page 10 of 97 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast

Thread: New Members

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Members

Thks all you guys for welcoming us newbies! I was registered on another site (to remain un-named but got sick of the sly and sometimes rude comments people made. I hope this board and forum remains full of intelligent and interesting posts where we respect one another's opinions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Slaughter View Post
    Evening all,

an especially pleasant evening after overcoming our bogey team after a trip to Perth, in the rain and with the umpires a little, well, you know....

I'm Sgt Slaughter, I'm new to this forum (some of you may have seen me post on Bigfooty) and GVG has asked if I would introduce myself quickly... so here goes...

I have followed the doggies since '85 having previously been a fan of the Kangaroos. 'A team swapper!' I hear you all gasp. Well, the story goes that I had been a Roos fan since I was a toddler because my grandparents had bought me a Kangaroo beanie. A fair reason for any toddler. But by the time I was around 8 or 9, I actually wanted to go to a game, and Dad being a staunch Doggie man would only take me to North v Footscray out at Waverley....

So after being 40 points to zip at quarter time, I thought the Roos were a good choice. Enter Simon Beasley. The pieman started kicking them from everywhere after the rest of the team decided to get their act together. So the Dogs dominated the rest of the match and won quite easily. I was impressed.

On the long journey home, Dad asked me if I'd enjoyed the game. Naturally I answered yes. How could you not enjoy the greatest game on earth? Dad then asked if I'd like to go to more games. I said yes, pretty excitedly. Dad then told me I needed to make a choice about which team I was going to follow, because if I kept folllowing the Roos, he's only take me to 2 games a year. If I followed the Dogs, I'd see every game....

So over 20 years later, if I'd kept following the Roos, I'd have a couple of flags, but if I had to make the decision again, I'd make the same choice... there's something special about the dogs, about the pocket me and Dad used to stand in every game at the Western Oval, about the players that I've laughed at, cried at, worshipped and idolised, about the all the troubles we've overcome as a club, about the supporters that have stuck with the club through thick and thin and about all the success that the club is headed toward. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum and hopefully I can contribute to some healthy discussion!
    And well done boys today, it was a bloody fantastic effort!

Cheers
    Sarge
    Like the username

Welcome to WOOF.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

HI all,

You may have seen a couple of posts out of me over the last week or two so I thought I would use this thread to properly introduce myself.

I grew up as a Fitzroy supporter and after the Brisbane takeover took a bit of a break from football. Up until a couple of years ago I didn't really follow anyone (Which was actually quite relaxing although not as much fun) and it took a long time to actually forgive the game for what it had done to my club, anyway life moved on. Anyway in 2006 I went to a game with some mates from work to watch the doggies play, I was hooked.

I signed up as a member in 2007 and since then all of the passion and fanaticsm has come flooding right back. As you can tell from my alias I am a big Brian Lake fan (although in the heat of the game I still throw out the odd Brian Harris). I used to play as a full back so my appreciation of the art of defense and hatred of flashy forwards (ala Carey and Franklin) may somtimes come out in my posting.

I have to say I love the way the Bulldogs go about their football, never vicious, never unfair, just hard working, skillful and increasingly strong willed. We don't have the arrogance you can sometimes see in Geelong nor the angry man complex so prevalent at Hawthorn. What is more you almost never hear or see anything about our players that does not make you feel proud which you can't say at many clubs.

Thanks for providing such a great forum with interesting commentary and a real passion for the team.

SOBL

The old Doggie Guest

My first recollection of being a Footscray supporter was when my Dad took me as a 6 year old to Footscray Town Hall after the Doggies had won the Premiership. I can still remember the yellow lights in front of the Hall and the jubilation and hysteria of the loyal supporters.

We were living in Frankston, a bayside town some 25 miles on the East side of Port Philip Bay. I was the only Footscray supporter at my school and was the brunt of many jokes. I am now a Teacher at St Mary’s Anglican Girls’ School and I am still the only Footscray supporter at my school.

Every Saturday my parents and I would travel up to Footscray. I would have my lesson with the Footscray banjo club and we then go to my aunties in Yarraville. My Uncle, father and I would then walk to the Western Oval for home games and sit in the John Gent stand. Sadly many home games were sad affairs interspersed with the occasional win and boy were they magic moments. The long drive back to Frankston feeling contented with the world, falling asleep on the back seat and being woken up still smiling to go to bed. I would then watch World of Sport on Sunday and proudly go the school. These happy / sad feelings are still with me now even at 52. When we win I read all reports, watch all replays and news bulletins and search the net. When we lose – the cat better watch out!!!!!! During the season though I wear only Bulldog ties, I have about twenty of them. Buying a birthday present is easy – anything that is red, white and blue is fine with me.

The death and funeral of Teddy Whitten in 1995 was a remarkable event at St Mary’s. During that year a group of Year 10 girls were ardent football followers and while they had never seen Teddy play they admired his passion and larger than life persona in the football world. The day after his death nearly twenty girls wore black arm bands. To have his funeral televised live to Perth enabled me to say my goodbye and thanks. He was the best footballer I have ever seen.

I moved over to Perth at the end of 1990 and have been consistent in my view that Perth is the ultimate western suburb of Melbourne. While I and many other Bulldog supporters have moved west I would like to pay a tribute to the many of you that may never have lived in Victoria, and may never have been to a game at the now Whitten Oval. Your support is vital to our long term future.

I have stated that I am not going to leave this mortal existence until the Doggies win another Premiership. My students predict that I may be over 700 years old. In 1998 I had open heart surgery the weekend we played Adelaide in THAT Preliminary final. I thought my time had come as we were about to at least play in a Grand Final – we lost and I lived!!!!!!!!! I will not mention the next Preliminary final or our trips to Brisbane….. I do live in hope!!!!!! My wife has strict instructions to sprinkle my ashes in the goal square at either end of the Whitten Oval. I can still see Ray Baxter missing an easy goal and yelling out “saw his ruddy leg off” or John Hoiles kicking our from full back and it dribbling out of bounds or when Merv Hobbs flew over Trevor Johnson from Melbourne in 1961. I was at Geelong in 1972 when we won for the first time since 1945. Sadly I think I went to every game coached by Royce Hart. I looked it up and we only won 8 times in 54 games. As well as, sacking Hart in 1982, Brian Wilson become the third Footscray reject to win the Brownlow in two years. The others were Barry Round and Bernie Quinlan. I wonder if any other Doggies supporter has a team of Footscray rejects from the bad old days?

Post Thanks / Like

im glad i found this great website and i will be post regualy

i will say sorry in advance for all the spelling mistakes i make this year
    cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all. I've been lurking for around a month and will try to contribute more. Don't really want to post at work as it violates the TOS and when I get home I try to do other things (I'm a C++ developer so I spend plenty of time on computers as is)

But I'll improve my posting on weekends.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to all the newbies of recent times. I hope you enjoy this site and contribute to it in a positive way.
    Just a small note: I have noticed some posters feeling the need to post something on every topic, often telling us something we already know.
    I hope I am not coming accross as "picky", I just do not want this site to go down to the level of another footy site. It is time consuming enough scrolling through the large number of posts.
    It is currently an informative site, hope it stays that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Dogs member for 17 years. I met some guys on Saturday at the Williamstown vs Collingwood game that told me about the site so after a quick read yesterday I decided to join today.

Post Thanks / Like

Allow me to introduce myself:

Been a Bulldogs supporter all my life (some 30-odd years), from the dark old days of the 70s when I used to proudly wear my jumper to school, even tho' we were always near the bottom of the ladder, to the days of sitting at the Western (now Whitten) Oval, thru rain, hail or shine (or all three!), as a teenager, then on to Princes Park, then the Dome, and now on the verge of marrying, having converted my Sydney fiancee to the cause!

Used to belong to another supporter forum which has, excuse the pun, gone to the dogs! So, hope I'm welcome to throw in my 2c worth from time to time here!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinsonWill View Post
    Allow me to introduce myself:

Been a Bulldogs supporter all my life (some 30-odd years), from the dark old days of the 70s when I used to proudly wear my jumper to school, even tho' we were always near the bottom of the ladder, to the days of sitting at the Western (now Whitten) Oval, thru rain, hail or shine (or all three!), as a teenager, then on to Princes Park, then the Dome, and now on the verge of marrying, having converted my Sydney fiancee to the cause!

Used to belong to another supporter forum which has, excuse the pun, gone to the dogs! So, hope I'm welcome to throw in my 2c worth from time to time here!!
    Welcome MinsonWill & all the newbies, don't be daunted by our superior intellect on this site. If your posts fall below the required standard you will be shot. No questions, just shot!

Only kiddin', fire away & add to the site, please.

TwiceBitten Guest

I'm another lifelong supporter (about twice the odd years of MinsonWill), tentatively venturing onto this site wary of the fanatical Bulldogs ready to bite my head off.

Originally from our old country zone in Latrobe Valley I now live in Coffs Harbour and sorely miss the saturation AFL coverage in Southern states.

I have been kept busy reading all the news items and also love the past player interviews by The Coon Dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello to all,

Been checking out this forum for a few weeks now, finally was able to register as previous attempts saw registrations blocked

But great to finally be apart of this forum. Looks great with some great articles and discussions that go on. Have been supporting the dogs since the day I was born (In Footscray Hospital ) and have never looked back. Am only 23 years of age, so even though I was quite young when the doggies were still Footscray and played at Whitten Oval, I remember those days and now love seeing the team get better and better as time goes on.

I am a gold 18 game member with the Social Club and can't wait till September!

Go Dogs!

Regards,
    Daniel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danstar View Post
    But great to finally be apart of this forum. Looks great with some great articles and discussions that go on.
    Welcome to WOOF Danstar, glad to have you onboard. Yes, plenty to read about here, have a look around have a read and most importantly please join in! If you have any questions, just drop me a PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick word or two to let you all know that the Mohawk Man (daDruid has parted ways with the club after unsavoury treatment at Sons of the West night. Invited onto the stage by the MC then thrown out like a common piece of litter. The way my jacket was thrown at me, has scarred me both mentally and emotionally. So disgusted at my treatment that I have returned my membership (front row seat!). I wish you all well.

Respectfully. DaDruid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaDruid View Post
    Just a quick word or two to let you all know that the Mohawk Man (daDruid has parted ways with the club after unsavoury treatment at Sons of the West night. Invited onto the stage by the MC then thrown out like a common piece of litter. The way my jacket was thrown at me, has scarred me both mentally and emotionally. So disgusted at my treatment that I have returned my membership (front row seat!). I wish you all well.

Respectfully. DaDruid
    Never happy to hear us lose any bulldogs members. What exactly caused you to be thrown out? Were you on the sauce? Did a fight break out? Perhaps there was a misunderstanding? Care to elaborate?