Thanks Thanks:  113
Likes Likes:  1,267
Page 18 of 97 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868 ... LastLast

Thread: New Members

Luke Guest

Re: New Members

Hi my name is Luke. Im 32 years old and have been barracking for Footscray along with my dad since I was 5. Over the years we have both been regulars at the games and members for a long time so im sure a lot of you would recognise us at the footy if I posted a photo. Im on this site cos I sense a change in the club and I think its time the club changed the name back to "Footscray". When I was a kid, football was about community, and thats what the Bulldogs lost when they changed the name. The strong clubs in the AFL (that we bulldogs strive to be) dont need to change their name eg- Collingwood - Essendon - etc.
    Losing a clubs identity by change of name was always a sign of weakness, and not of strength, so I hope after Smorgan leaves, our new president will rename the club and retain our original identity! Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Luke Guest

Re: Bitter anarchist joins WOOF

[QUOTE=PedroArvy;235084]I am new to the forum and thought I’d introduce myself.

I used to support Fitzroy before they were taken over by the AFL in that communist putsch take over. It was a totally immoral and disgusting affair. If I ever run into Ross Oakley there will be little stopping me from starting a brawl with him. He could easily have fulfilled the members wishes and made a North Melbourne-Fitzroy merger take place. Instead he did what no members wanted but the AFL said was in its interests. Beware fellow Doggies, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Some of my fondest memories were watching the Roys in their final year at Whitten Oval with the tiny but 100% passionate crowds. I remember our last victory against Freo and the crowds spilling onto the ground as the bouncers looked on without the will or power to stop us. Even though there were a handful of supporters at the ground, the fervor and passion of that one win has eclipsed anything I have seen in football since.

After the takeover I thought about which team to follow and I picked the Dogs. Why? Because they were despised and located in the unfashionable west, not to mention that I loved the Whitten Oval. I think people who barrack for teams like Collingwood are psychologically weak pilics. It’s obvious a team with such a large supporter base is going to win flags. What sort of toughness does it show to support a team like that? And the crap I hear about Mick Malthouse. The question isn’t whether they are a good team. The question is why with 3 times the spending of other AFL clubs they haven’t won more flags in the past 10 years???

I remember as a kid when football teams used to represent their suburb. The west used to scare me back then. But with the draft character seems to have been lost from the game and I am not sure who the WB’s represent now. I still romanticise that’s it some rough nut blue collar working bloke when I see Barry get ruffled and try to forget he came from two other teams.

That’s a bit about me. As you can seem I'm a bitter anarchist a heart.

Great post Pedro, you sound like a bloke i could definately have a beer with! When I was a kid my old man would take a bbq to the footy and a slab of beer at Western oval. Nowadays you are dictated to soon as you get to the ground. I am constantly yelling out to supporters to jump the fence in protest at games (after a few drinks) but I think these days the supporters have been successfully "duped" by the AFL
    I remember Fitzroys demise well. Sydney Swans was actually in a worse financial position than Fitzroy at that time, but the AFL propped sydneys finances up whilst also financing the biggest recruitment of that time in Tony Lockett! Not bad for a team in financial collapse! Yet the AFL bled Fitzroy dry of any revenue by moving them from princess park and offering huge pay deals for players to Brisbane. The bulldogs need to change the name back

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I remember Fitzroys demise well. Sydney Swans was actually in a worse financial position than Fitzroy at that time, but the AFL propped sydneys finances up whilst also financing the biggest recruitment of that time in Tony Lockett! Not bad for a team in financial collapse! Yet the AFL bled Fitzroy dry of any revenue by moving them from princess park and offering huge pay deals for players to Brisbane. The bulldogs need to change the name back
    You are probably right about Sydney's finances vs Fitzroy's - but I think a few more people live in Sydney than supported Fitzroy...do you really believe the commission pulled the wrong rein in choosing to support the Swans rather than the Lions?

As for the name change, my kids (13, 9 and 4) support the Western Bulldogs - not Footscray...it is all they know. We live in Perth, not Footscray...look forward, not back. The VFL is not going to return.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    You are probably right about Sydney's finances vs Fitzroy's - but I think a few more people live in Sydney than supported Fitzroy...do you really believe the commission pulled the wrong rein in choosing to support the Swans rather than the Lions?

As for the name change, my kids (13, 9 and 4) support the Western Bulldogs - not Footscray...it is all they know. We live in Perth, not Footscray...look forward, not back. The VFL is not going to return.
    I thought Clancy followed the Dockers?

Did you get her back from the dark side

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I thought Clancy followed the Dockers?

Did you get her back from the dark side
    Clancy always stuck with the Dog's - as a 13 yo anarchist she is very pleased to support a team that no-one else at her school supports. Marshall (9yo) wavers but he was messing round in the gym with Mora 1/2 way through the year, stacked it and blames (wrongly) Tony for the incident...Dockers love dropped a few notches - Keeps his bike lock key on a Dogs keyring now. Dempsey is only 4 so does whatever I say - Dogs.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Really enjoyed reading the 5 pages per month allowed to non-members over the past few years, and getting some warnings that if I don't post in this thread, I'll be going back to that limit, hence this post.

Just out of curiosity, how many posts does one need to contribute to not have their accounts deleted?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Hi,

Really enjoyed reading the 5 pages per month allowed to non-members over the past few years, and getting some warnings that if I don't post in this thread, I'll be going back to that limit, hence this post.

Just out of curiosity, how many posts does one need to contribute to not have their accounts deleted?
    There is a limited guest viewing system enhancement that limits viewers to look at about 60 posts per day. We are a discussion forum not a news board.

If you would prefer to be a reader rather than a contributor send me a message.

Welcome to WOOF.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    There is a limited guest viewing system enhancement that limits viewers to look at about 60 posts per day. We are a discussion forum not a news board.

If you would prefer to be a reader rather than a contributor send me a message.

Welcome to WOOF.
    That's fine, last time around I didn't post for a few months and had my account auto-deleted .. tried re-registering on a couple of visits but you weren't accepting new sign-ups.

Anyway, just happy that I've got an account.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Guido. Looking forward to your posts!

Bulldogs_Fan Guest

Hi,

A born and bred Bulldogs supporter.

Looking forward to chatting with fellow Doggies fans.

Cannot wait for this season to be over and the new season to begin!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bulldogs_Fan, welcome to WOOF.

Great to have you onboard - have a look around, plenty to read and I look forward to reading your contributions.

Post Thanks / Like

Hiya Folks,

Just signed up and looking forward to some interesting discussions with you all. I live in Germany so feel a little out of the loop.

Also, some of you may remember me from Bigfooty - haven't been on there since 2006 - I was a pretty regualr poster under the handle murfs_chick.

Go Doggies! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard, Deutschland is a long way from the kennel you must get starved for footy news.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Moved here during GF week... so hasn't been too bad thus far. Just annoying that all the tradeweek happenings occur whilst I am asleep... means I'll prob turn nocturnal during footy season!