Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Five Year Signings - good or risk?

Are clubs taking a risk in signing players for 5 years or is this a smart move to tie your A graders to the club. Free agency is here, GWS is cashed up, Would you like to see Griffen sign a 5 year deal?

From the Age: Link

Controversial five-year deals

MARK MERCURI (signed in 2000)

Was one of Essendon's premier players in the dominant 2000 season as a silky midfielder and goalkicker. But he would lose form in subsequent years, attributed in part to his brother's death. The contract was cut short when he retired after the 2004 season.

ANTHONY KOUTOUFIDES (signed in 2000)

The Carlton utility was arguably the league's best player when he hurt his knee against Essendon in round 20, 2000. He returned to dominate the 2001 season but another knee injury against Richmond in the finals of that season, this time a torn anterior cruciate ligament, would mean he would never be the same player again. Played until 2007 and won another best and fairest.

AARON HAMILL (signed in 2004)

The rugged St Kilda forward played only 39 matches after hesigned his contract. He didn't play in 2007 and retired at the end of that season after enduring a torrid run with a degenerative knee.

DARREN GASPAR (signed 2001)

Enjoyed a stellar 2001 and received a lucrative offer from Fremantle. Tigers coach Danny Frawley pleaded with the key defender to stay. Deal turned sour in later years with Gaspar finishing his career in the VFL, taking a pay cut.

AND THE RECENT DEALS ...

Joel Selwood (Geelong)
    Brett Deledio (Richmond)
    Michael Hurley (Essendon)
    Sam Reid (Sydney)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Five Year Signings - good or risk?

No problems with the recent ones.... BTW Reid signed a 6 year deal.

From our club the only players I would sign to this type of deal would be Griffen, Jones & Libba.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a tough one, although great for the PR spin that a club can achieve. To me it is fraught with danger, not only on relying on a player to perform for 5 years (Mercuri a classic example) but also the stress it can place on the future of clubs salary cap.

With free agency coming in, this will have ramifications on the club if a player has been tied up long term at generally a high price.
    Richmond being a casing point- Deledio is on big money for five years, you would expect that the likes of Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt and to an extent someone like Vickery would be looking for more money in there next contract and a long term deal at that.
    I can see Richmond losing a number of their next rung of players and possible future stars as they will be hamstrung by previous deals.

With Pendles effectively signing for 5 years with the Pies also, I just can't see how they will keep Cloke now.

List managers will have a nightmare down the track with such long term deals IMO. Shorter term deals allow for greater flexibility and i would be against anything over a 4 year deal.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

5 year deals are a risk but if you don't take a risk you will not win a flag. Agree with mantis on the 3 we should sign though but think lesser players can also be signed on longer deals which could be a money saver I mean if you offered a Tutt or a Smith a 5 year deal I think it could be a safe bet so maybe a little thinking ahead might be in order .
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    5 year deals are a risk but if you don't take a risk you will not win a flag. Agree with mantis on the 3 we should sign though but think lesser players can also be signed on longer deals which could be a money saver I mean if you offered a Tutt or a Smith a 5 year deal I think it could be a safe bet so maybe a little thinking ahead might be in order .
    So you mean offer the longevity and security in exchange for a little less dollars?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    So you mean offer the longevity and security in exchange for a little less dollars?
    Absolutely these are the types of players required in each and every team yes you need to keep the stars but losing Harbrow hurt us so much more than losing Ward will in my opinion. So if we offer stability in exchange for some savings we have more in the pot when negotiations come around

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely these are the types of players required in each and every team yes you need to keep the stars but losing Harbrow hurt us so much more than losing Ward will in my opinion. So if we offer stability in exchange for some savings we have more in the pot when negotiations come around
    Intersting point but don't you think a player would have an inflated idea of themselves if they are offered such a lengthy deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    DARREN GASPAR (signed 2001)

Enjoyed a stellar 2001 and received a lucrative offer from Fremantle. Tigers coach Danny Frawley pleaded with the key defender to stay. Deal turned sour in later years with Gaspar finishing his career in the VFL, taking a pay cut.
    Gaspar was the king of playing out of his skin in the final year of his contract so that he could negotiate a fat contract next time around - did it 3 times (once at Sydney and twice at Richmond). He'd then do stuff-all for the next couple of years each time.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be offering Smith or Tutt long term contracts as they are yet to prove themselves. We have seen a glimpse of Tutt but he has to perform consistently. I tend to agree with Mantis on the three, ie Griffen, Jones and Libba, but don't have too many other young guys at this stage with the proof in the pudding. Hopefully Cordy, Roughead show something in the next few years as well as Smith, Tutt, Wood etc.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a good idea in the current climate. With the changing landscape clubs have looked at how they can ward off such approaches (yes, I did that deliberately) from GWS & Free Agency. I'd be rapt if I supported one of those 4 clubs who've signed those players to 5 year deals.The uncertainty all last year had an impact, particularly at Melbourne.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    I think it's a good idea in the current climate. With the changing landscape clubs have looked at how they can ward off such approaches (yes, I did that deliberately) from GWS & Free Agency. I'd be rapt if I supported one of those 4 clubs who've signed those players to 5 year deals.The uncertainty all last year had an impact, particularly at Melbourne.
    Considering young players aren't going to be effected by free agency would you still consider doing it now with anyone on our list? At the moment i would only consider Griffen.

Basically our senior players (boyd, cross, gia etc) are to old to worry about a long term deal and our younger players (Libba, Wallis etc) have 5 more years until they are available for free agency, at a pinch you may sign Libba to a long term deal in 3 years time. The only middle aged (in terms of career) you'd have to worry about is Higgins and i would spew if they club gave him anything close to a 5 year deal.

As our list is void of that 23-27 age bracket i can't see how a long term offer for any of our other players are required

Post Thanks / Like

I guess the biggest risk to signing the 5 year deal is long term injuries. A good example is Cooney and his injury and will he ever be the same again. Personally I would still take the risk on any A graders.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I wouldn't be offering Smith or Tutt long term contracts as they are yet to prove themselves. We have seen a glimpse of Tutt but he has to perform consistently. I tend to agree with Mantis on the three, ie Griffen, Jones and Libba, but don't have too many other young guys at this stage with the proof in the pudding. Hopefully Cordy, Roughead show something in the next few years as well as Smith, Tutt, Wood etc.
    I was using Tutt andSmith as examples if you like go back 5 years with Shaggy or even Picken these are the types I am taking about. I agree with what you are saying but why limit it to the stars be aggressive and shore up your core and future core players keep your list together just as the Cats ,hawks and Pies have that where flags come from forward thinking and belief in your system. While Tutt has only shown a little if he improves further this year along with all of our 20 to 23 year olds tie the up early giving us and them security. It is a gamble but losing players to marauders because you played safe will never ever see us win that elusive premiership we all desire these are just my thoughts on the issue and whilst I doubt many will agree I do not want to keep us leaking like a sieve every time someone waves a check book or a come home option in our young players face any more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Considering young players aren't going to be effected by free agency would you still consider doing it now with anyone on our list? At the moment i would only consider Griffen.

Basically our senior players (boyd, cross, gia etc) are to old to worry about a long term deal and our younger players (Libba, Wallis etc) have 5 more years until they are available for free agency, at a pinch you may sign Libba to a long term deal in 3 years time. The only middle aged (in terms of career) you'd have to worry about is Higgins and i would spew if they club gave him anything close to a 5 year deal.

As our list is void of that 23-27 age bracket i can't see how a long term offer for any of our other players are required
    So wait until they are at the peak in money terms at around 23 then pay top dollar for a 5 year contract . This makes no sense to me take a risk and build a long term list we have played safe for far too long and need to be aggressive .

Post Thanks / Like

So wait until they are at the peak in money terms at around 23 then pay top dollar for a 5 year contract . This makes no sense to me take a risk and build a long term list we have played safe for far too long and need to be aggressive .
    What player do you mean? What i'm saying is, if you use free agency as a reason to sign a young player at the moment like Libba it is pointless as he isn't available as a free agent for another 5 years.

Are you suggesting we sign one of our young guns for an even longer contract?