Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Five Year Signings - good or risk?

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    What player do you mean? What i'm saying is, if you use free agency as a reason to sign a young player at the moment like Libba it is pointless as he isn't available as a free agent for another 5 years.

Are you suggesting we sign one of our young guns for an even longer contract?
    A player like Libba depending on the price absolutely why not ?
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    A player like Libba depending on the price absolutely why not ?
    He is a second year player.

I love Libba, but even so I would not offer him 5 years now. I'd be looking at a longer term deal for his next contract so we have him tied upin his peak years (23-28yo), and when free agency comes into play for him.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

He is a second year player.

I love Libba, but even so I would not offer him 5 years now. I'd be looking at a longer term deal for his next contract so we have him tied upin his peak years (23-28yo), and when free agency comes into play for him.
    If he continues to improve at the rate he has been and we wait untill he is 23 he will cost an absolute bucket load think ahead and tie him up IMHO . I can see your logic Slim but I do not want to lose any more players if need be offer him 7 years now if need be I don't care !

Post Thanks / Like

The risk/reward equation is so bad for 5 year deals that very, very few players deserve them. In the current comp, the only people I can think of that it would have been justified for are guys like Selwood, Jon Brown, the Pav, Goodes, Riewoldt and the like. The only players that would CURRENTLY deserve a 5 year deal are probably Buddy and Swan.

Even so, the risks are massive -- not just injury, but also questionable character. Even players like Brown and Goodes have had bad injuries, and a club can't even renegotiate terms down once stuck with a player. Hurley and Deledio are NOT deserving of 5 year deals, and I really do believe the last couple of years of their contracts will just be a drag on their clubs' list management.

Having said that, in the era of free agency maybe you would want to tie your top 6-12 players to longer-term contracts in order to have better terms if they requested a trade, but if one were offering 5 or 6 year deals you would want the last 2 years of the contract to have appearance and performance stipulations on them.

Can/do clubs get injury insurance on contracts here in Australia? In the US, sports clubs (mainly NBA and NFL) get massive insurance deals for their long-term contracts so they (the club) can get a pay-out in case of career ending injuries and the like. (Some players can't be insured because of their bad injury records).

Post Thanks / Like

If we give somebody like Libba a 5 yar contract now rather then wait for another 2 year and offer him a contract when he is starting to peak (if he doesnt already do so this year).
    Example: Libba is on lets say a contract of $400k per year for the next 2 years then we offer him a 5 year contract thats worth $600k per year.. Or offer Libba $400 or $450k for the next 5 year and when the time comes we will only need to pay him top dollar for a shorter period of time.. Ultimately saving around $600k over 5 years.. That could be the difference with keeping Dahlhaus on the list in 2 years time or not..

It has been mentioned lets take a risk on Libba, Luke, Tutt, Smith, Jones and Roughead. I like Cambell so might not offer Cordy anything as of yet due to all his injuries..

Talia is a bulldogs man through and through so I wouldnt stress too much about him but Wood my be another 1 to consider.

That the Core of our team and in 3 years time when they are peaking and we might be challenging they will be half way through their contracts and would wouldve saved alot of money in the process.

The down side is if these players done perform or have serious injuries like Cooney where this plan back fires..

Some time you have to risk alot but its worth it imo. Its already been 60 odd years so why play it safe now?

Lock em in..

Post Thanks / Like

They missed Ablett's contract at Geelong - was 5 years at a pretty low rate for a footballer wasn't it? Signed when he was a flanker/pocket type early in his career.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DragzLS1 View Post
    If we give somebody like Libba a 5 yar contract now rather then wait for another 2 year and offer him a contract when he is starting to peak (if he doesnt already do so this year).
    Example: Libba is on lets say a contract of $400k per year for the next 2 years then we offer him a 5 year contract thats worth $600k per year.. Or offer Libba $400 or $450k for the next 5 year and when the time comes we will only need to pay him top dollar for a shorter period of time.. Ultimately saving around $600k over 5 years.. That could be the difference with keeping Dahlhaus on the list in 2 years time or not..

It has been mentioned lets take a risk on Libba, Luke, Tutt, Smith, Jones and Roughead. I like Cambell so might not offer Cordy anything as of yet due to all his injuries..

Talia is a bulldogs man through and through so I wouldnt stress too much about him but Wood my be another 1 to consider.

That the Core of our team and in 3 years time when they are peaking and we might be challenging they will be half way through their contracts and would wouldve saved alot of money in the process.

The down side is if these players done perform or have serious injuries like Cooney where this plan back fires..

Some time you have to risk alot but its worth it imo. Its already been 60 odd years so why play it safe now?

Lock em in..
    I don't even know where to start with this, you're system rewards potential to the extreme. I can't see how a club could be viable like this.

Post Thanks / Like

To risky for mine,just can't see the logic in signing Deledio for five years.
    The guy's 24 or 25 and plays a scroungy half back role.As the players above have shown it can turn sour quickly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    To risky for mine,just can't see the logic in signing Deledio for five years.
    The guy's 24 or 25 and plays a scroungy half back role.As the players above have shown it can turn sour quickly
    Depends on the fine print, doesn't it? If you throw in KPI's, behavior clauses, injury stuff, maybe it's ok?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I don't even know where to start with this, you're system rewards potential to the extreme. I can't see how a club could be viable like this.
    Your telling me you dont already rate Libba and Dahlaus highly?

I can see what you mean about the rest of them potentia wise and thats fair enough but I would without hesitation give Libba and Dalh a 5 year contract tomorrow if possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DragzLS1 View Post
    You're telling me you dont already rate Libba and Dahlaus highly?

I can see what you mean about the rest of them potentia wise and thats fair enough but I would without hesitation give Libba and Dalh a 5 year contract tomorrow if possible.
    I wouldn't give anyone on our list a 5 year contract. Doesn't mean i don't rate them, it's just not how i would manage our list.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Lanterns idea of the last 2 years being performance based with injury clauses built in. Can see where you are comming from Slim but have to disagree with you yes we can end up with egg on our face but the reward is huge If it works in our favour .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    I like Lanterns idea of the last 2 years being performance based with injury clauses built in. Can see where you are comming from Slim but have to disagree with you yes we can end up with egg on our face but the reward is huge If it works in our favour .
    i can agree with that

Post Thanks / Like

How about you offer Libba a 5 year deal then when in his second last year of that contract you add another 3 to it.
    The trick is to tie them up one or 2 years before the previous contract finishes, that way you get in before other teams start sniffing around making outrageous offers.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Alistair Lynch signed a 10 year deal with Brisbane.