Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Boyd less than buoyed by sloppy kicking

The Age -Michael Gleeson

MATTHEW Boyd has long laboured on his kicking. Yesterday, the Bulldogs captain and his coach admitted he had more work do yet after a game in which he had 20 kicks but only six of them got where he wanted them to go.
    Boyd admitted fatigue, and the natural consequence of the inside the pack position he played meant that his kicking was sloppy - but he conceded his 30 per cent kicking efficiency was poor. Twice, under no pressure, he grubbed the ball along the ground.
    ''Thirty per cent? Yeah obviously I would like to kick the ball a bit better. I think fatigue came in towards the end and I kicked a couple off the end of the toe.

''We all want to play better and execute better, and I want to execute better and I don't think I will lose any sleep over the fact I missed a few kicks.

''I will work on it and get better,'' Boyd said after the 49-point loss to the Eagles in their season opener at Etihad Stadium yesterday.
    ''It's a product of the position you play as well. I like to think I am in tight and getting a bit of contested ball.
    ''It's round one and the heat of the game takes its toll on the body. No excuses but fatigue set in late and I was cramping in both legs and that takes a bit of the polish off your game. We will work on it. It wasn't great in terms of myself for disposal efficiency, but I will work on it and try and get better.''

Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney defended Boyd's game on the grounds of fatigue but admitted he would doubtless reflect on his disposal.
    ''He is a professional, he is a fantastic person and has been a great player for a long time and he will go home tonight and dissect where he can get better and that might bob up in his own mind,'' McCartney said.
    Boyd was also industrious in the packs and had 10 clearances and his disposal by hand was far more efficient - of 18 handballs, 14 hit their mark.

The Bulldogs stuck with the Eagles for three quarters but after being five points down midway through the third term, the Eagles kicked nine unanswered goals to break the game open. Josh Kennedy booted seven for the Eagles while Dogs debutant Clay Smith booted four in three quarters before suffering ''full body cramp'' and needing to be substituted out of the game.
    Young midfielder Christian Howard injured his left knee in the last term and is expected to miss four weeks after straining his medial ligament. Ryan Griffen is expected to be fit to return to the side next week.
    McCartney said that while he was disappointed the game opened out he was also pleased to be close until midway through the third quarter.

''I think as a coaching group you can't move away from the fact that is where the game was at. And why was the game at that stage? Because we were doing a lot right as a group … the team was functioning well,'' he said
    ''Why did it open up? That's what coaching is about. We will be optimistic with this group and certainly on the positive side with them and that won't be airy-fairy fluffy-duffy stuff. I think we will identify some fundamentals to team defence that will help us.
    ''I like our young players. I think there's a lot of upside in them and they all showed glimpses today …''
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boyd less than buoyed by sloppy kicking

Received a number of texts during the course of the day, one in particular made me laugh; 'Boyd the butcher'.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

For a guy making no excuses, he's making a few excuses.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

See, we weren't making it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    For a guy making no excuses, he's making a few excuses.
    lol - exactly!
    Does this mean we have to look at our rotations? Trying to do too much
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe he needs to handball more, he hit 14 of 18 handballs. Needs to learn from Cross who had 6 kicks and 22 handballs.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

What was his excuse when he grubbed one in the middle of the ground in the 2rd qtr? Fatigue?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Maybe he needs to handball more, he hit 14 of 18 handballs. Needs to learn from Cross who had 6 kicks and 22 handballs.
    So who kicks it?

Said it years ago, Boyd needs to take more care with his kicking, take the 'safe' option and don't believe he is the second coming of Nathan Buckley.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    So who kicks it?
    Sherman, Tutt, Dahlhaus, Griffen, Cooney - do I need to go on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Agree- we need to make it a focus of getting the ball to our better uses (Cooney, Griffen, Murphy etc)
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Seemed hesitant to take blame.

It's not just one game -- his disposal is crap every game.

I remember this issue was brought up on "The Couch" last year (or maybe 2010?), and Boyd didn't want to accept the criticism. He kept avoiding it, saying it only mattered what the coaches thought.

Fact is Boyd, you can get it 60 times, but if you turn it over as often as you do, it does more harm than good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Seemed hesitant to take blame.

It's not just one game -- his disposal is crap every game.

I remember this issue was brought up on "The Couch" last year (or maybe 2010?), and Boyd didn't want to accept the criticism. He kept avoiding it, saying it only mattered what the coaches thought.

Fact is Boyd, you can get it 60 times, but if you turn it over as often as you do, it does more harm than good.
    You are right there. This as been an issue since I joined this forum.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

What annoyed me most in the article he says Im not going to lose sleep over it..

Matthew Boyd you are the captain of our club.

If the captain isn't going to take responsibility for hitting targets why should Liam Jones practise his goal kicking, why should Clay Smith work on his field kicking?

Extremely disappointed in his response...

Post Thanks / Like

The heat will be on him all year now. It'll be interesting to see how he copes.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Stand up as Captain.

Take responsibility of your own actions. Stop making excuses.

Your disposal is crap.

Fatigue? Round 1? God it is going to be a long year.
    I bleed Red,White & Blue