Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boyd less than buoyed by sloppy kicking

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    What annoyed me most in the article he says Im not going to lose sleep over it..

Matthew Boyd you are the captain of our club.

If the captain isn't going to take responsibility for hitting targets why should Liam Jones practise his goal kicking, why should Clay Smith work on his field kicking?

Extremely disappointed in his response...
    First time I had seen him live and I expected the worse from what I had read on this forum. I was pleasantly surprised with his kicking. An unusual action but effective.

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't seen yesterday's game yet, but one of Boyd's most impactful games last year was against Carlton when he worked in tandem with Cooney to work Judd over at the stoppages - Boyd only got it low 20's that game but was superb in his ability to close down Judd and win important ball going the other way. I'm not a massive fan of his 35+ possession games because it means that Cooney or Griffen have it in their hands less times - I'm actually convinced that the opposition structure up deliberately so that natural ball hunters like Boyd and Cross have it in their hands as often as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    First time I had seen him live and I expected the worse from what I had read on this forum. I was pleasantly surprised with his kicking. An unusual action but effective.
    Cassius looks like he is kicking on the wrong foot every time
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Cassius looks like he is kicking on the wrong foot every time
    He has a double hand drop which makes it look this way IMO.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    - I'm actually convinced that the opposition structure up deliberately so that natural ball hunters like Boyd and Cross have it in their hands as often as possible.
    Of course they do. Only in footy of all sports is the actual number of possession rated so highly, as opposed to the quality of your possession.

Does anyone care how many times a guy gets the ball in field hockey? People only care what you do with it. I never remembered my soccer coaches telling me to aim to get it 80 times a game, just what to do when I did get it. Which paper reported how many times Wayne Rooney got the ball on the weekend? None. (I'm not saying it's not important -- soccer coaches do track these things and you don't want some guys -- like Xavi or Messi -- getting it a lot, but it's just not a big part of the way people evaluate a players' worth.) Same in basketball -- you actually WANT the ball in the hands of the worst users as they'll likely turn it over so you structure your defence accordingly to let them have it.

Just like basketball, turnovers are a major source of scoring in modern footy, so I'm sure that's exactly what opposition coaches are doing -- if, as an Eagles coach, you know that Boydy getting the ball means that you'll score more likely than not from the turnover (or at least get the ball back -- with a 30% kicking efficiency rating that means he actually won the ball 14 times for the Eagles) why wouldn't you let him get it 50 times in traffic?

Post Thanks / Like

''It's a product of the position you play as well. I like to think I am in tight and getting a bit of contested ball"

Its not the disposals from the tight contested play that gives me the tom tits, it is when he is open and clear and heading into our half when he kicks it straight to the opposition. I have seen this numerous times.

You never see blokes like Pendlebury do this .... they make every opportunity count when banging it into their forwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Petergm View Post
    ''It's a product of the position you play as well. I like to think I am in tight and getting a bit of contested ball"

Its not the disposals from the tight contested play that gives me the tom tits, it is when he is open and clear and heading into our half when he kicks it straight to the opposition. I have seen this numerous times.

You never see blokes like Pendlebury do this .... they make every opportunity count when banging it into their forwards.
    Absolving himself of his responsibility. Maybe he just doesn't know how.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Of course they do. Only in footy of all sports is the actual number of possession rated so highly, as opposed to the quality of your possession.

Does anyone care how many times a guy gets the ball in field hockey? People only care what you do with it. I never remembered my soccer coaches telling me to aim to get it 80 times a game, just what to do when I did get it. Which paper reported how many times Wayne Rooney got the ball on the weekend? None. (I'm not saying it's not important -- soccer coaches do track these things and you don't want some guys -- like Xavi or Messi -- getting it a lot, but it's just not a big part of the way people evaluate a players' worth.) Same in basketball -- you actually WANT the ball in the hands of the worst users as they'll likely turn it over so you structure your defence accordingly to let them have it.

Just like basketball, turnovers are a major source of scoring in modern footy, so I'm sure that's exactly what opposition coaches are doing -- if, as an Eagles coach, you know that Boydy getting the ball means that you'll score more likely than not from the turnover (or at least get the ball back -- with a 30% kicking efficiency rating that means he actually won the ball 14 times for the Eagles) why wouldn't you let him get it 50 times in traffic?
    Interesting. So you reckon coaches go like this...

Ok boys, if Boyd gets the ball in the forward line, hedge him a bit, cover his options and as soon as he disposes of it, more often than not, we'll get the pill back.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Boyds kicking disposal is the only thing holding him back from being elite. I'm not sure he can work on it. Maybe he should take less responsibility kicking the ball and start trying to feed off to our better ball users.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Maybe he needs to handball more, he hit 14 of 18 handballs. Needs to learn from Cross who had 6 kicks and 22 handballs.
    Someone has to kick the blooming thing.

This has been a trend for Boydy over many years, more work isn't going to greatly improve the output at his age. We simply have to wait until better users develop enough to play in the midfield.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dazb View Post
    Boyds kicking disposal is the only thing holding him back from being elite. I'm not sure he can work on it. Maybe he should take less responsibility kicking the ball and start trying to feed off to our better ball users.
    This is a massive deficit and really makes me think that elite and Boyd can never go in the same sentence. This argument has gone around on this forum before. The only option in the midfield is Cooney. Cross, Smith, Libba, Wallis, Sherman and Picken are all in the same boat as Boyd.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Boyd to play the Picken role. Wallis to be Boyd and Picken to either small forward or small defender.

Just throwing it out there.

We will never win a flag with Boyd and Cross as the main mids ( no disrespect intended) and this year should be all about the kids.

Boyd kicked like Mick Mcguane on painkillers and Gia who is normally a beautiful deliverer was just pinging it on the boot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    This is a massive deficit and really makes me think that elite and Boyd can never go in the same sentence. This argument has gone around on this forum before. The only option in the midfield is Cooney. Cross, Smith, Libba, Wallis, Sherman and Picken are all in the same boat as Boyd.
    I don't know why Libba always gets lumped into the can't kick category. He may not be a penetrating kick but he hits a target as well as anyone, puts the ball to a team mates advantage, and kicks within his limitations. He's actually someone Boyd could learn a lot from.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I don't know why Libba always gets lumped into the can't kick category. He may not be a penetrating kick but he hits a target as well as anyone, puts the ball to a team mates advantage, and kicks within his limitations. He's actually someone Boyd could learn a lot from.
    He uses the ball well by both hand and foot and doesn't make too many wrong decisions either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post

Post of the day. Absolutely 100% spot on. Does anyone count how many shots you actually hit in tennis. It's where you hit it. So what are we to do with Capt Boyd?