Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2012 NAB Rising Star

Quote Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
    Dylan Grimes (Richmond) - Round 3 NAB Rising Star

Oh ok I think I get it now...your team must get flogged by 10 goals+ for one of your players to get a nomination!
    Richmond won
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Richmond won
    Woops! I have this memory of Richmond losing, please excuse my stupid comment, I have not yet finished my morning coffee.

Dylan Grimes 18 touches, 100% disposal efficiency, good work kid.

Post Thanks / Like

He looks ok too from the little I have seen him.

Post Thanks / Like

Yahooooo, Wallis won the NAB Rising Star Nomination for round 4. http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...3/default.aspx. Congratulation, well done young man. Hope this will kick start your career.

It's a shame that AFL site couldn't even get the round description right ... "Bulldog Mitch Wallis is the round three NAB AFL Rising Star nominee"
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by choconmientay View Post
    Yahooooo, Wallis won the NAB Rising Star Nomination for round 4. http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...3/default.aspx. Congratulation, well done young man. Hope this will kick start your career.

It's a shame that AFL site couldn't even get the round description right ... "Bulldog Mitch Wallis is the round three NAB AFL Rising Star nominee"

Congrats Mitch

Great news re brother Josh - a potential 2014 father/son prospect

Lets keep our fingers crossed

Post Thanks / Like

Good on him. Seems like a nice kid and a hard worker.

Post Thanks / Like

Well done to Mitch, but I wonder if James Fantasia will be contacting the AFL this week to complain about the selection criteria, seeing as Mitch has only played one good game in a row. The petulance of our actions after Round 1 were childish and infantile and painted us in a very poor light IMO.

Anyway well done to Mitch - he really influenced the match in the 2nd half and started to show the general public ball-hunting ability and clever around the ground positioning. Let's hope he can string together some strong performances in a row now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Richmond will rightly chuck a stink about Dylan Grimes missing out on this week's nom. Check out his stats, not to mention the fact that he kept Dawes goalless. Winning a nom after a 129 point hiding is farcical.
    Well done to Mitch, but I wonder if James Fantasia will be contacting the AFL this week to complain about the selection criteria, seeing as Mitch has only played one good game in a row. The petulance of our actions after Round 1 were childish and infantile and painted us in a very poor light IMO.

Anyway well done to Mitch - he really influenced the match in the 2nd half and started to show the general public ball-hunting ability and clever around the ground positioning. Let's hope he can string together some strong performances in a row now.
    So should clubs be complaining or not? I'm confused.

I think the Rising Star awards are good to get a club's name in the papers for the right reasons, and provide some brand exposure throughout the year. I can see why our administration would like us to win as many as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    So should clubs be complaining or not? I'm confused.

I think the Rising Star awards are good to get a club's name in the papers for the right reasons, and provide some brand exposure throughout the year. I can see why our administration would like us to win as many as possible.
    They shouldn't.....my comment re: Grimes not being nominated was purely my opinion only and a comment on what I thought to be the ridiculousness of him missing out based on his performance in the round in question and season to date. Richmond's hierarchy, quite rightly, didn't complain about the snub, because (presumably) they have far bigger fish to fry and issues to worry about. The reality is that every week there would be up to 10-12 players who could mount a compelling case for nomination over and above who actually got nominated, and yet the Bulldogs have been the only club (on multiple occasions no less) to complain publicly about the selection criteria whenever one of our players have not received a nomination. Rising Star noms are OK puff pieces in the media but complaining about RS snubs is not good brand exposure and only paints us in a poor light IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Good on him, but I'm not that interested in that stuff, to be honest. If it had a set of criteria that didn't apparently change all the time, well....
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

They shouldn't.....my comment re: Grimes not being nominated was purely my opinion only and a comment on what I thought to be the ridiculousness of him missing out based on his performance in the round in question and season to date. Richmond's hierarchy, quite rightly, didn't complain about the snub, because (presumably) they have far bigger fish to fry and issues to worry about. The reality is that every week there would be up to 10-12 players who could mount a compelling case for nomination over and above who actually got nominated, and yet the Bulldogs have been the only club (on multiple occasions no less) to complain publicly about the selection criteria whenever one of our players have not received a nomination. Rising Star noms are OK puff pieces in the media but complaining about RS snubs is not good brand exposure and only paints us in a poor light IMO.
    I understand Sedat, I was just being a bit of a smart arse and poking the bear a little with that one.

My thoughts on complaining about the selection criteria for the NAB awards are mixed. It wouldn't take a lot of time for Fantasia to put some thoughts and words together on the subject, and all it would take for them to be aired is a journalist that is savvy enough to realise we might have thought it a little bit odd one of our players, who deserved the gong to be overlooked. On the other hand, it seems pretty futile doing so on our behalf.

Politically, the impact of jumping up and down over the Ward compensation would be a lot greater than jumping up and down over the selection criteria of the NAB awards. I truly believe this would play on the clubs mind when making a decision on what they're happy enough to air, and what they're not.

When the expansion in to Western Sydney and Gold Coast was announced, the clubs gave their support, without batting an eyelid. Or so it seemed. If you consider all of the inequities that have come to light since this agreement was struck, and the fact that clubs are prepared to continue to keep quiet on them it would be fair to assume their hands were forced in to a mode of acceptance right from the beginning. I'm prepared to admit that Fantasia might in fact be incompetent however, I'm also prepared to accept that pissing and moaning about the level of compensation we received for Ward might have been counter-productive to our overall cause.

The AFL is a prick of an organisation. Vlad has been good for us in a lot of ways, though in most cases this has been because it has suited his agenda at the time. I think it would be foolish for us to not choose our battles carefully when it comes to heaping criticism on the games' administration.

Post Thanks / Like

Politically, the impact of jumping up and down over the Ward compensation would be a lot greater than jumping up and down over the selection criteria of the NAB awards. I truly believe this would play on the clubs mind when making a decision on what they're happy enough to air, and what they're not.

Watch calls for that to have happen intensify when Dogs fans watch Ward dash around in that silly orange strip on Saturday, wads of cash falling out of his back pocket. My view is that we did take issue of it, but imagine Eddie Mac or other top club officials at other camps if this happened to them. We were a bit soft.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Watch calls for that to have happen intensify when Dogs fans watch Ward dash around in that silly orange strip on Saturday, wads of cash falling out of his back pocket. My view is that we did take issue of it, but imagine Eddie Mac or other top club officials at other camps if this happened to them. We were a bit soft.
    We probably were a bit soft, though I think the club is aware from which side its bread gets buttered.

Our position within the league isn't comparable to the top Victorian clubs. You only need to look at the way the "draw" is structured to realise the pecking order.

Post Thanks / Like

We probably were a bit soft, though I think the club is aware from which side its bread gets buttered.

Our position within the league isn't comparable to the top Victorian clubs. You only need to look at the way the "draw" is structured to realise the pecking order.
    I think we all understand this.

Anyway, I love Mitch and seeing both him and Libba terrorize opposition mids is going to be a real pleasure.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 25-04-2012 at 06:23 PM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Round 5 rising Star is Tomas Bugg - GWS.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.