Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Schofield rolls dice for second shot at AFL

You'd have to think there's more to his leaving, of course, though we'd be much better off leaving it be and moving on.

He's gone, he's not coming back. The club has hopefully accepted that and are worrying about the cattle that we have and how we can get the best out of them and the resources that support them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Hi GD why would we raise this with the AFL?
    It sets a precedent for players from one side of the country to get out of their contractual obligations and obtain means of getting into a club that is not their call. The AFL should be aware that this is a potential means by which players intend to manipulate clubs. If what he said to the Bulldogs was 100% true then I'm happy. But if he distorted the truth just to get out of a contract that he signed, then that's an issue for the broader AFL community. It won't help us in this case but we can flag it as an issue.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

This is bullshit. If the AFL allows it, it creates a loophole that every disgruntled player would be stupid not to utilise.

Scum act.

ps. GD is right re: precedent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    It sets a precedent for players from one side of the country to get out of their contractual obligations and obtain means of getting into a club that is not their call. The AFL should be aware that this is a potential means by which players intend to manipulate clubs. If what he said to the Bulldogs was 100% true then I'm happy. But if he distorted the truth just to get out of a contract that he signed, then that's an issue for the broader AFL community. It won't help us in this case but we can flag it as an issue.
    Exactly -- if we delisted him on false pretenses there can also be a case for damages: we essentially wasted a list spot on him that we could have used on someone else, and also paid out a year of wages for no return. If he is found to have lied to get out of his contract I would be pursuing legal avenues for his management to be compensating the club for the worth of his salary and the lost opportunity of recruiting another player.

At the very least, have this threat hanging over his head and make it clear that we will be taking this up with any club that recruits him, and I'll guarantee no club would touch him with a 100 foot pole. It's not as if he's the second coming of Barass either -- a middling talent at best.

If we don't do anything about this we'll continue to confirm our reputations as soft touches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Exactly -- if we delisted him on false pretenses there can also be a case for damages: we essentially wasted a list spot on him that we could have used on someone else, and also paid out a year of wages for no return. If he is found to have lied to get out of his contract I would be pursuing legal avenues for his management to be compensating the club for the worth of his salary and the lost opportunity of recruiting another player.

At the very least, have this threat hanging over his head and make it clear that we will be taking this up with any club that recruits him, and I'll guarantee no club would touch him with a 100 foot pole. It's not as if he's the second coming of Barass either -- a middling talent at best.

If we don't do anything about this we'll continue to confirm our reputations as soft touches.
    Can you really imagine James Fantasia going to this much effort? He's too busy with other important things, like whinging about our players missing out on Rising Star nominations.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post

Agreed 100%. This is an issue worth making media noise about so as to jolt the AFL into some sort of action. Apart from the expansion clubs of course, they hate anything that resembles tampering with their sacred draft.

Post Thanks / Like

If I was the AFL my response would be that the Dogs should have done their homework better before drafting him.

Post Thanks / Like

Did we pay him out on his contract?
    That would surprise me because he is the one who didnt fulfill it.
    The AFL did keep an eye on it and knew everything we did was all we possibly could if I remember correctly.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Did we pay him out on his contract?
    That would surprise me because he is the one who didnt fulfill it.
    The AFL did keep an eye on it and knew everything we did was all we possibly could if I remember correctly.
    No he was de-listed as he requested. He didn't want to stand out of football for 12 months
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Hey we all agree for once!
    Challenge every woofer to take 15 minutes out of their week to write a 'spirited' letter to the AFL, to Mr Fantasia, or both about this issue. Spitting in the wind perhaps, but am of the theory, you do what you can and leave the rest to fate.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Will anyone bother to pick him up though?

They didn't last year, there's a super draft this year so i'm guessing it's unlikely unless he absolutely stars at East Freo.

Post Thanks / Like

Would the fact he bailed on us dissuade other clubs from taking him?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Would the fact he bailed on us dissuade other clubs from taking him?
    Clubs may take his history in consideration when thinking of picking him up. I just don't know what happened there with Schofield but he made his own decision to leave at the end of the day.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say only the WA clubs would look at him and if thats the case you would think they would only rookie him to be safe.
    Maybe it was his plan all along just to get to a WA club.
    Clubs take chances on questionable players, look at Fevola, Akermanis, Hall, ok so they are big names but wow they had issues.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I would say only the WA clubs would look at him and if thats the case you would think they would only rookie him to be safe.
    Maybe it was his plan all along just to get to a WA club.
    Clubs take chances on questionable players, look at Fevola, Akermanis, Hall, ok so they are big names but wow they had issues.
    You can throw Carey in there as well. After everything that happened he was picked up by Adelaide.