Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Djitti' calls

Post Thanks / Like

'Djitti' calls

Link

NATHAN Djerrkura senses an opportunity to finally establish himself as an AFL player in what he regards as his "make or break" season with the Western Bulldogs.

The small forward was among the Bulldogs' best players in their ice-breaking win over Melbourne at the MCG on Sunday.

In the kind of wet conditions he relishes, Djerrkura earned 15 disposals (at 100 per cent efficiency), snapped a crucial goal late in the third quarter and dished off another.

He was also a constant threat to the Demons with his defensive pressure, applying four tackles and implying plenty of others.

It was a decisive step towards ensuring his future at Whitten Oval, which will be the subject of discussion behind closed doors in coming months.

He will be out of contract at the end of the season, and is under no illusions about the difficulty of the challenge before him to remain on the Bulldogs list for 2013 and beyond.

Now in his sixth AFL season, the 23-year-old has played a total of 15 AFL games at two clubs.

In a rare interview, the quietly-spoken Djerrkura conceded he was under pressure to perform, but was positive about his prospects.

Asked if it was accurate to suggest he was facing a make-or-break season, Djerrkura was emphatic.

"That's exactly what it is," he told AFL.com.au.

"I've just got to put my head down and keep trying to improve every aspect of my game.

"I have to do what I can to cement my spot in the side, and do what I can to make the team better.

"And I think I can do that."

Djerrkura also believes he can make a real impact at AFL level, if one of his comments about his childhood hero - former Essendon wingman Michael Long - is to be taken literally.

"I just hope that one day I can come close to what he was," he said.

A Bombers fan in his childhood, Djerrkura has known Long, a fellow Northern Territorian, since his teenage years. He and Hawthorn star Cyril Rioli, a nephew of Long, attended Melbourne's Scotch College together on football scholarships and spent "a few weekends" at Long's house.

"We didn't talk about footy much; it was more about life," he said.

"Longy was close to my dad."

Djerrkura's late father Gatjil was a respected indigenous leader who served as the chairman of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission (ATSIC) from 1996-2000.

Almost eight years ago, Djerrkura senior suffered a fatal heart attack at 54.

"I enjoy talking about him," Djerrkura said. "I looked up to him so much, and learnt so much from him about life."

Djerrkura senior's example provided the inspiration for his son and former Geelong teammate Travis Varcoe to establish the Leaders of Tomorrow foundation, which aims to create leaders in remote communities.

"If not for my dad, I don't think I would have done that," he said.

"He was very passionate about helping indigenous people all around Australia, and we want to help people build their dream."

At the time of his father's death, Djerrkura was just 15. The family slowly picked up the pieces and he pursued an AFL career, being drafted by Geelong at pick 25 in the 2006 NAB AFL Draft.

Djerrkura feels he wasn't consistent enough in his four seasons with the Cats. However, he doesn't use the most obvious excuse: that it was a frightfully hard side to break into.

He sought greater opportunities elsewhere and was traded to the Bulldogs at the end of 2010 in exchange for pick 58.

After playing nine games for the Dogs last year and showing glimpses of his capabilities, Djerrkura knows more will be expected of him this season.

With this in mind, he took his commitment to the game and his fitness to a new level in the off-season. Back home in Gove, Arnhem Land, he ran harder and longer in the sand dunes than ever before.

"It's pretty easy to shred skin-folds in 34-degree heat," he said.

He also ate very well - "plenty of fresh seafood".

This dedication propelled Djerrkura to a personal-best pre-season. He finished top-four at the club in endurance, and also broke the bench press record ("110-112 kilos", he thinks) for the Bulldogs' under-80kg class. His effort has since been equalled by Andrew Hooper and Jason Tutt.

After suffering a broken hand in an intra-club practice match and being sidelined for four weeks, Djerrkura was promoted for the Bulldogs' clash with Adelaide at AAMI Stadium.

That night he produced a split-second of genius, which added further credence to his nickname "Djitti" - an Aboriginal word that means "black magic". ("I don't turn around any more when people call me Nathan," he says.)

Late in the first term after the Dogs had conceded the first four goals, Djerrkura gathered the ball under pressure and let fly, off one step, with a spiral punt from outside 50 and the ball bounced truly.

It appeared to be an instinctive act of skill. Some suggested it was a "hit-and-hope" fluke. So what's the truth?

"I'd like to say I did exactly what I tried to do, but that wasn't the case," Djerrkura admitted.

"I just tried to do the team thing by getting the ball forward. I just chucked the ball on the boot and was lucky that it turned out to be a 'torp' and it went through."

Assistant coach Brett Montgomery rated Djerrkura the Dogs' best "pressure player" against the Crows. He was equally good in this area against Melbourne.

"As a small forward, I try to base my game around defensive pressure," Djerrkura said.

"If you look after defence first, everything else comes from that."

Djerrkura was perhaps unlucky to be relegated to substitute in
    the heavy loss to St Kilda in round three. However, he has only praise for coach Brendan McCartney, who he worked with at Geelong.

"He's straight-up with everyone, and that's one of the things I like about him," he said.

"He's brought a spark to this club, and I'm sure good things will start happening for us soon."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 'Djitti' calls

Great article.

He's been pretty good so far this season, so hopefully he continues the upward trend. He could be an important player for us.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a smack in the eye to all the posters who canned Fantasia for signing Djitti up for 3 seasons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    There's a smack in the eye to all the posters who canned Fantasia for signing Djitti up for 3 seasons.
    Signing a guy that the Cats gave away,for three years deserved to be questioned.
    Hopefully proves everyone wrong

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Signing a guy that the Cats gave away,for three years deserved to be questioned.
    Hopefully proves everyone wrong
    Agreed, but it appears from this article he was only signed for the 2011 and 2012 seasons, so only a 2 year deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pick up.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to have taken the next step based on what I've seen so far

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Trading for a player that was about to be delisted was excellent work. Giving him 3 instead of 2 makes up for it?

Post Thanks / Like

If he continues on his improvement like we have seen this year (and by all report before he injured himself in the pre season) then we will all be a happy bunch wont we

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Agreed, but it appears from this article he was only signed for the 2011 and 2012 seasons, so only a 2 year deal.
    A lot of people on this forum were scathing of the Club about signing him for three, yet appears this is not true.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Great story, great attitude.

Why are we arguing about his recruiting?

I dont really care how they come on to the list, its what they do when they get there. Everyone deserves a chance and I thought he had his. I had written him off after last year.
    It sounds like he has put his head, heart and body into staking his claim this season and I am very impressed with what he has brought to the table, he seems to be improving each week too.

Great effort Djitti. Go hard young man!

Post Thanks / Like

One swallow doesn't make 3 summers. We also gave up a 3rd round draft pick that Geelong weren't even going to use for a player they were about to be delisted. It was a dumb trade then, and it's still dumb now.

He was very good last week - hope he continues in that vain moving forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Exactly and that was my point. I'm not commenting on whether signing him was a good or bad move or whether he was worth a 3rd round pick. What I am saying is that sometimes on this forum the truth is stretched by certain posters to improve their argument.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly and that was my point. I'm not commenting on whether signing him was a good or bad move or whether he was worth a 3rd round pick. What I am saying is that sometimes on this forum the truth is stretched by certain posters to improve their argument.
    It was fairly widely reported at the time that he got a 3 year deal. It's not as if it was just a figment of some posters imagination.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    It was fairly widely reported at the time that he got a 3 year deal. It's not as if it was just a figment of some posters imagination.
    Was it? It was widely reported on WOOF I give you that.